fish finder?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by chucklai, Jun 19, 2020.

1. chucklai

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +119
    I'm looking for a fish finder for my float tube. Anyone can tell me which brand to get? less than $200,mounting system?
    Thanks in advance

2. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,756
    Like all other aspects of fishing, the gear you choose is totally a personal choice. And like all the other gear threads, telling you what WE choose to use for our own fishing may not jive with what YOU want for yours.

So, do you want a one-piece sonar that fits in a velcro holder? Do you want a flip-down sonar that has a 4lb battery pack with exposed, loose wiring going from the device to the battery that sits in your saddlebag? Do you want a sonar that you literally throw over the side, allow to sink and then it tells you how deep you are? Whats your preference?

3. wbttk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    I use a hummingbird fishin buddy MAX. It has downscan and does a good job showing structure. Plus it is easy to attach and has internal batteries. Very self contained. Highly recommend for a tube if you don’t want a separate unit and battery.

4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,756
    I think the author bailed.

5. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,796
    Fishin Buddy for me too (older model). Can send images of mounting system if you want, part of a homemade PVC pipe rod holder. Or is the author AWOL?

6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,756
    Im guessing the author bailed. If he had interest, he would have been on here checking at least once a day. Older model (110) Humminbird grayscale for me too. Love it so much I bought two more new ones just to have around in case.

7. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,796
    I only have 1 extra; 2 extra is getting close to doomsday prepper territory. But at least you have your priorities right. Imagine if the real pandemic comes and 99% of the population dies, the fishing becomes phenomenal as a result and your last depth finder dies and you did not think to stockpile them.

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,756
    Well then, I suppose I shouldnt talk about the other extra gear I bought. Cant help it.. when I find something I like, I buy another - at least. Why buy one when you can buy two at twice the price?:emoji_joy:

9. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,289
    I use some inexpensive wireless Chinese handheld units. These typically cost between 50 and 65 bucks on Ebay. I can clip the transducer to a little leash on my float tube, or cast it out to a spot to see what's going on over there without having to paddle out over it.