Fishing Alone.

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Miasmax, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +381
    All good man, I plan on hookin some fat eel grass this evening!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. NibbleSquad

NibbleSquad Active Member

Ratings:
    +195
    I’m going to La Jolla in my kayak tomorrow morning with a buddy for the first time if you’d like to tag along.

3. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +833
    I’m at about 98% solo. I have a pretty crazy schedule being self employed. Besides, if you fished with me on my boat, I’ll probably hook you with my tailing loop and crazy side arm flailing around lol.

Geo, you know with enough Life Insurance anything is possible lol. Go get a local solo Marlin!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. silentONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +581
    Fishing alone = Time to hone in on different bait action, refine current techniques, try new techniques, search new spots, no need to wait on anyone when you're over it.

Fishing with friends =
    "HA! Where you at son?!"
    "Damn bro that sucks man, next time, next time."
    "It could've been anything bro, it was probably that hali or corvina, just kidding, probably a mackeral, you'll never know."
    "Nah let's chill here, I just got some hits."
    "Jack in the Box sounds good after this."
    And I can keep going....

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,959
    I do need more life insurance.....but a promise is a promise. He was one of only 2 men in my life that could say something like that and I would actually listen without copping an attitude. The 390 is 45.9 miles from Pt Loma......setting trollers solo on a rocking sea isn’t the wisest thing I’ve done especially with no auto-pilot, no life jacket and not hooking up the kill switch.

I’m enjoying fishing with my 21 year old and can’t wait till I’m fishing with my Grandson in 3-5 years...

6. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,932
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Stuff get better?

7. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,855
    Name:
    Eric
    Mannn i hauled up some real lunkers tonight...probably a 3, 4 and 5 lb ball of grass lol

8. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,897
    It depends. Fishing solo is great and I mostly fish solo. Although I got better by fishing with better talent. Lets be honest we fish harder and more competitively when we are fishing with those of our own skill level and above. I got to be a good fisherman and hunter by becoming friends with those I looked up to. Every one was more then willing to teach because I was willing to learn. Then the ego set in some where around 18 to 25 where I was so hard core I was an ahole. I was so miserable to be around if things went south. I made Iaconelli loke like a class act. One time I dumped a big striper on a swimbait and smashed my calcutta 400 into scrap metal. I had a few people jump off the boat, swim to shore and walk to the truck and wait for me multiple times. I looked down on everyone that wasn't hardcore. Then something happened. I don't know where it came from maybe working 60 hours a week but I started loving just being in the outdoors. Regardless of how successful the trip was. I felt a disconnect that rivaled that of alcohol and narcotics. I felt the joy of just being there. My dad and his wife host Chinese exchange students.Today he wanted to take then fishing because a few had never fished before. So I gave a seminar on how to use the reels,shagged fish and baited hooks for 2 hours straight of mackerel carnage. The smiles remind me of why I got into it. The tug is the drug. I am always looking for new people to fish with.

9. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,550
    I have a question.. Is it a safety thing?

10. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    I went alone to OB pier last Monday afternoon and didn't see anyone getting anything, let alone a relative novice like myself. We went with my wife yesterday at the SI pier and everyone was pulling mackerels left and right, some quite big. We didn't have the right rods and hooks but still my wife, which is quite a novice, got more than ten in about an hour and dropped back maybe more than that due to poor hooking. Most of the time I was changing her bite, taking the fish, casting for her etc. But at the end she learned some casting on her own, so I could also get my line wet. This was her second participation, the first last November was also a smash although again I was more helping her than fishing myself. Now I believe taking her along brings me a luck;) Also, I guess the long pause at OB pier was bad and it will take some time until the mackerels are back there. So for mackerels you better try the SI pier.

11. Miasmax

Miasmax Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +243
    Name:
    Kyle
    Went out with coach last night and almost broke a rod.. took a shower.. and hurt a shoulder.. but it was a blast.

big sharks on bass gear dont mix

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36,860
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Hey.. don't read more into it than need be. Seriously. You hooked a fish on gear where the odds were against you from the start, lol. You did very well all things considered, lol

13. Xolaris

Xolaris midshipman fisher
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +879
    I fish whenever I can solo or not

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Fourtogo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +845
    The Bay I hit it by my self a lot . If i venture beyond the shelter of harbors , I buddy up

15. VeeDubGuy02

VeeDubGuy02 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +549
    Name:
    Tom
    I hear ya... I like both, depends on my mood. I tend to explore more solo, but the company is nice sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,535
    I like fishing at night - can't do it alone. I don't mind going alone during the day now and again but I would rather fish with someone. So I'm pretty much not fishing.

17. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,550
    Makes me wanna go float tubing this evening. And I believe I will.

It's not a cure-all, but I'm telling you guys and gals.. Pepper spray. Know the law regarding when you can discharge the stuff, and get yourself the very best pepper available. And the best is Fox Labs 5.3 .. I'm comfortable going with pepper up against anything short of a bullet. The stuff sprays straight up to 12-15' (no breeze - and you have got to keep your cool enough to remember not to discharge it unless you are firing with the breeze at your back - otherwise you'll wind up victimizing yourself. And Rule #1.. BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND STRAY PEOPLE AT ALL TIMES. Anyone walking toward you could be a bad guyu looking for an easy opportunity. Dont allow yourself to try and be cool by making small-talk with people you dont know. Vacate the premises.. keep your safety zone and watch for bad guys changing their angles of attack. As much as any of you might want to believe that everyone is good, you're sadly mistaken.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,501
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    LOL! I read that "spray people at all times". I thought , "man, I hope I never accidentally sneak up on that guy!"

19. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,550
    That's awesome. Ya, I'm such a hard-azz.:emoji_joy: Ask Werfless.. he knows I'm a total softie.

20. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,164
    Sometimes I fish alone, sometimes I don't. Depends on the time and place and whatever else is going on. We fish because we want to not because we have to, might as well go when you feel like it.

If you're fishing with rookies, who don't know rigging, that can get old in a hurry. When I fly fish I often find I prefer being by myself.

#40 toddamus, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List