fishing citation

Discussion in 'Carp' started by colin619, Jul 2, 2019.

1. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,083
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Not knowing the exact circumstances , it would appear that you could fight this one . As I read the regs , to be cited you have to have more than one rod with terminal tackle in the water at the same time . Having 1 rod in hand and lets say 6 rods on the beach but no tackle in the water would seem to be legal and not a reason for citation . As Nute stated we would all be in trouble , such as having 6 rods in the boat but only fishing 1 . The odd part is that you said you had not started fishing yet and the warden felt the need for citation , I myself would have to contest the ticket . Good luck !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,894
    Nute is right.If having more than 2 rods but not in the water was a violation every bass boat would get cited. I carry 5 to the IV 2 primary catfish, panfish, fish finder, and carp rod. Only 2 are in the water at a time though.

3. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,614
    she the 2nd rod law is because it gets crowded , so if i pay it wont get crowded!!![/QUOTE]

And that has nothing to do with why The second rod law stamp came into effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,385
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Fair to say revenue enhancement had something to do with it?

5. Mr. NiceGuy

Mr. NiceGuy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Now, what's the REAL story? The 2nd rod rule is clear, but this thread is not.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +803
    That's a fresh water rule, in the bay you can fish as many as you can manage.
    Tell the judge your pregnant that will get ya in a car pool lane .

7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,526
    A warden will tell you whatever story to keep you from hollering at them.

"Sorry I have to do this, but...I gave him a ticket, so you get one, too."

When a warden sees you fishing with two rods, they'll come cite you for it. And they use a miraculous invention called "binoculars" to see you, from waaaay over on the other side of the lake. And they might even have a photo of you fishing with two rods. So sneaky :)

Are we overtaxed and overcharged in CA? Sure. But if you're fishing in a private water tank, catching fish paid-for and managed by license fees...and you doubled your chances of catching a fish but didn't pay the extra fee.....so the California style math works.

Enough of Mr. Scoldypants. Here's info that might help:

Here is the bail schedule (source: http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/SDCOURT/CRIMINAL2/CRIMINALRESOURCES/BAIL_SCHEDULE.PDF ) Page 3:

upload_2019-7-5_18-1-25.png

Sometimes the "bail" is the fine. Interesting that it's listed as a Misdemeanor (a crime) as opposed to an Infraction (like a traffic ticket).

If you have the time, take the notice you get in the mail to the appropriate courthouse and talk to the clerk. You can do this BEFORE the indicated court date. The court clerk can help you sort out what the fine is, and whether this will be listed on your record as a misdemeanor or an infraction. And of course, what the fine will be.

Judges have a ton of discretion, and can ignore the law if they so choose. If you want to go to court, tell 'em your sorry, show 'em that you bought a second rod stamp, ask that the fine be reduced...or ask for community service. If it's a misdemeanor, ask that it be reduced to an infraction. Apologize for taking up the court's time, and whatever you do, don't annoy the judge by whining about what the warden said while writing you up, or that there's no way the warden could have seen you from the other side of the cove.

Good luck...

8. anthony92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +381
    The 2 rod pay extra thing is a load of ****

9. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,094
    Guy from work just went through this just last month!!!
    His fine was $500
    He hasn't fished in over 15 years & had no idea of the rule...
    He went to court to fight it, stating he was guilty but had no idea, thought the fine was a bit excessive as not like he was keeping short bugs in the marine preserve.....

DFG officer didn't show & ticket was thrown-out, zero fine.....
    case closed

10. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,863
    It is a $500 ticket ( $507 to be exact ) and the game warden writing you the ticket, will look you straight in the eye and tell tell you it’s a small $35 fine. Ask me how I know...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,552
    If you were not fishing - FIGHT IT. Have the reg book with you, page marked, and be prepared to present your case fast and clear. Witness? Bring them along. Can't come? Get a signed statement. Good luck.