Fishing flashlight recomendations

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Kesepton, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +645
    So, I need to upgrade my lighting situation. I run a few crappy LED Lanterns that I got for free and they are okay but they do more blinding than lighting. I have a few crappy small flashlights as well that have been unreliable... So anyone have some recommendations on a good flashlight or lighting combo for night fishing? I havent done it much but want to start to beat the crowds and give myself some more fishing opportunities.

I am thinking of a lantern that I can dim, a clip on hat type for tying and probably something bright with good projection for the hand. Any recommendations or how you keep things lit at night are welcome.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,712
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Can put a light under a milk jug...

3. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +645
    I did this one night on my siting bucket. I knew you would have some economical way to do it coach. But sometimes you just want some new gear... hah

4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,152
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I have pretty much gone to head lamps . My current favorite , Black Diamond Spot . very versatile , when on high will throw a beam really good , easy on batteries . think you can get rechargeable model as well . I rarely carry a hand held anymore . For the car and truck Slyde makes some very good direction spot / flood hand helds . Warm white led lamps with a light range of about 3000 K , Kelvin, or less emit almost 0 % ultra violet ,hence don't attract insects , worth checking the specs closely before you buy . Stay away from the lamps with a blue tint to them especially on a head lamp . Good luck WR

#4 William Ritchie, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +645
    Awesome, thanks! Yeah I don't use a head lamp a lot while fishing because it always seemed to bring the bugs in right to my face. Now I know what to look for at least. I have tried the red light ones that are supposed to help maintain night vision but I can't see crap....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,473
    As with ALL fishing gear, choices are very personal. For float tubing in the evening I wanted something that had a few different power settings (all are insanely bright) and used CR123 batteries. I also wanted something reliable, had a well-known name and wasnt made of plastic. This is what I ended up with. And that over-the-head part of the strap made an excellent place to clip a red bike light securely on the back. Perfect for anything coming up behind me, and awesome for anything in front of me.
    protac-hl-usb-hdlp_main.jpg
    61cG-cvlQIL._AC_SX425_.jpg

7. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,591
    Name:
    Larry M
    I use this hat, it has two led lights in it.
    It's good for tying hooks etc. It puts out enough light to see where you're going.
    I use it to walk out to get the mail at night if I haven't picked it up during the day.
    I got it on one of the shopping channels either QVC or HSN. Awhile back I saw them at Home Depot here.
    I'm wearing my Batman PJs.

20200703_071616.jpg

20200703_071720.jpg

20200703_071708.jpg

8. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +884
    Is this for covert operations like golf ponds and closed areas? That why you want dimmable lights? Red LED lights are less visible, so are lights that fit under hats. A UV LED light is nice, fluorescent line is super easy to see with UV. Head or hat mounted is much better than lantern. If you are intending to fish the bay at night, then go for bright head lamps, maybe even a flasher like in bike shops. Walmart, Big 5 or Amazon have lots of choices.

9. JustBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +524
    I fish a lot at night and always have either red or green on at all time. The green is brighter than red, but both bright enough to unhook the fish and not calling in bugs. I use coast headlamp very good quality and the beam is adjustable and very bright. The green light is bright enough that flashlight wouldn’t activate when using my iPhone.
    Here is the one and well worth the price for two packs.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077QNTZXF/?tag=sd07e-20

Sample photo taking with the green and brightest beam
    23B6B82B-C42A-49DB-B0A3-CF2E1D8FFF92.jpeg
    B7A781B8-F651-4CFE-9EF2-116E3C511BB0.jpeg

#9 JustBass, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +645
    I wanted to be able to dim it because I wanted something for camping as well. I have always used propane lanterns but I am tired of carrying spare parts, worrying about glass or knocking it over. I still use one in our tent on occasion on cold nights. It puts out just enough heat to give some relief from the cold. But I havent really seen any LED types that I was impressed with yet as far as being bright enough to light a campground with one light but can also dim enough for inside a tent. It has been a few years since Ive looked though and I see lots of options of amazon.

I have been thinking of getting a solar battery setup for camping so LED just makes more sense now.

What do you have coming up behind you creek that you want a rear reflector? Just curious what that scenario looks like!

11. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +884
    A rear light would be good for float tubing the bay at night, even float tubing Barrett just before dawn when they rent boats again.

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,473
    :emoji_joy: Well first, its not actually a "reflector" its a true 1W LED red bike light securely clipped to the backside of the headlight band. Its purely for safety and warning of others of my location so I dont get crushed because I'm usually too busy watching what's going on in front of me and focused on feeling bumps to my line. I'm a safety freak, so I'm naturally going to do whatever makes me feel a sense of security - to whatever degree one can feel somewhat 'safe' while fishing from a float tube.

In a float tube, you're basically traveling backwards, right? And the only way to see where you're going is to frequently turn around, which I do all the time just like anyone else does. As an added feel of safety and to help combat the mystery and potential pain of what powered vessel might be coming up behind me, I decided I should be proactive and give others fair warning of my location by adding 2 insanely bright red LED strobes to the front and back of my big floppy hat (day fishing) and a single LED to the back of my headlamp (night fishing). Obviously it works great at night.. but it also works insanely great when foggy in the mornings. The red lights I use (pictured above) are 1W LED's that are so bright I could use them on my staff car and know that I was definitely being seen by oncoming traffic.

13. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,591
    Name:
    Larry M
    I received this ad today, it said that you can order it from Amazon.
    Looks interesting.

Screenshot_2020-07-04-06-49-21-1.png

Screenshot_2020-07-04-06-50-05-1.png

14. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,473
    Great little lamp for light dispersal. That headlamp I had added has three modes.. bright, brighter and beyond bright. That last mode is nearly as equally bright as my hand-held work flashlights are. Last time I used it was at Mission Point. It was maybe 30 mins past true dusk. I wanted to see what this knucklehead on the sand was doing. I lit him up with the "beyond bright" mode from easily 125' or so away. He was taking a dump in the sand.. and not happy that he was illuminated as if ABLE had doused him with their NightSun.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,591
    Name:
    Larry M
    I just ordered it, it should be here on monday.
    I'll give a review of it.

16. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +645
    Awesome let me know! I think I will get a proper headlamp and that should be enough. But maybe a spotlight/floodlight type for the truck when at the river/bay. I still want a decent flashlight but probably not necessary for fishing I guess.

Thanks for all the suggestions

17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +509
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T93HQYZ/?tag=sd07e-20

This thing is inexpensive but good. It has six good batteries and a charger.
    I put a piece of red film in the big middle light so is doesn't interfere with stealth as much and it toggles two white lights on the sides if I want for traveling.

Took it fishing last night , with the full moon , most of the time it could be off and the red was enough for hiking where it rough was going. With no moon the white is plenty for traveling and I can tie knots with just the red.

#17 Everydog, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +509
  19. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,591
    Name:
    Larry M
    I tried out the new headband light.
    Not much difference between the high and low setting.
    It's comfortable to wear.
    Here's a couple of pictures, it does throw a wide beam of light.

20200707_202229-1.jpg

20200707_202312-1.jpg

20. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,473
    So its good for that "up close and personal" work like tying on fresh meat, flies, whatever. But what if you need to see what that dirtbag up on the bank is doing following you?