1. Last day to order

Your time is almost up to order our new "Big Bass Republic" shirts, celebrating California's reputation as the big bass king of the US. Available in UPFs (sun protection shirts), performance sweatshirts, short sleeve performance tees, and long sleeve performance tees.

More Info

Dismiss Notice
  2. Last chance to order SDFISH hats

Today is the last day to get your order in for these new SDFish trucker hats! Available in 3 colors, with the SDFish logo embroidered across the front of a high quality Richardson 112 snapback trucker.

Check em out

Dismiss Notice

Fishing Hiatus

Discussion in 'Bass' started by BrushToad, Jun 18, 2017.

1. BrushToad

BrushToad Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hello Everyone,

I have been on a fishing hiatus for about the last 5 years because my work requires me to shoot a lot of Archery and to Bowhunt as much as I possibly can.

I am from Northern Idaho and am used to fishing docks, brush, laydowns, and muddier water than what I have seen down here. I have caught the Bass Fishing bug again and have been struggling a little down here.

I don't have a boat (looking for one now) but I do have a kayak that I fish from. Typically what I would throw up north would be Senko's, Beavers, Spinner Baits, and Trick Worms.

Im not asking for anyone's best kept secrets but maybe some guidance on how to fish for the Bass down here. These San Diego fish seem a bit more finicky than the northern fish I am used to fishing for.

Thanks everyone and I hope to see you on the water.

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,048
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    You hit the nail on the head! The Florida strain Bass are not as aggressive - tougher to catch. That and our little lakes are highly pressured. Those baits are winners, except spinnerbaits (in my experience). Find structure and fish those baits slowly and lower your expectations. Good day is a limit most of the time. If you have not already done so, learn to Drop Shot.

One more thing; don't listen to me because I have not been doing so well, lately. ;)

BTW, your job sounds awful! ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. BrushToad

BrushToad Member

Ratings:
    +11
    One more thing; don't listen to me because I have not been doing so well, lately. ;)

BTW, your job sounds awful! ;)[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahaha...thank you Fisheromen. I will definitley learn how to drop shot.

I lucked out in the job department that's for sure.

Cheers

4. TheBassinPanda

TheBassinPanda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +596
    Boat:
    I wish
    Senkos and Roboworms have consistently caught me the most bass and my biggest bass lately. These were all caught via dropshot and some off fly line wacky rigged Senkos. I've caught a few off some Flukes as well. I've also caught a few bass off spinnerbaits and chatterbaits but only at Lake Perris. I got some good hits off Keitech swim baits here and there. But most of the time drop shotting Senkos and Roboworms in different configurations have been the top producers for me.

BTW, welcome to California!

5. robbiesmith25

robbiesmith25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,684
    Name:
    Rob Smith
    Boat:
    Iwish
    I'm from Eastern Oregon originally,so, a lot of the same type of water as you in Idaho.
    I completely agree, SD fishing is a different beast than any other area I've ever fished.

For Bass, I agree with MTPanda above here. I also try to throw a big swim bait more and more each time I go out, building my confidence in it more and more. Even though I've never caught anything, I know if i do, it will be one of those big bass you see stare at you and laugh.... at least that is what i think they are doing to me... :)

But, I'll say I was in same boat and new to SD waters.
    When Bass fishing is slow, hit the saltwater, there just seems to be endless fish out there.... Bays/Surf/Jetis, whatever... a lot of fun!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. BrushToad

BrushToad Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks guys....this is very informative and I appreciate the responses. I will get working on the whole drop shot method right away.

I have fished the salt before and found the Spotties and the Calicos a lot of fun to fish for.

7. TechniFish

TechniFish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Spinnerbaits def have a time and place in SD waters. I've done pretty well with them out at the hodgee when bass are keyed in on shad. As the guys above said, your bait selection seems on point. Senko's and the drop shot will more often then not be your biggest producer's, along with t-rigged worms. Lighter line in clearer water as most of our lakes are and a slower presentation then you might expect usually seem to be key for me. Dont however overlook the reaction bite. Certain times of the year and you'll slay them on the blade and jerkbaits. Jigs in the winter as well along with big swimbaits. Lot's of casts for not a lot of bite's but when you get one its usually a pig

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Kayton

Kayton Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Think finesse for SD Bass.

9. sam zepeda

sam zepeda Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Name:
    sam
    Jerkbaits and crankbaits have worked well for me. What brand of bow you shooting?

10. BrushToad

BrushToad Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Sam....I will give them a whirl as well. I am shooting a Bowtech and a Mathewsbrigjt now.

11. BrushToad

BrushToad Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry...Mathews and Bowtech. I am the National Sales Manager for Victory Archery so naturally I shoot Victory Arrows

12. sam zepeda

sam zepeda Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Name:
    sam
    Awesome just awesome I shoot Mathews and Hoyt and definitely when not fishing i am shooting.