Fishing in/near Temecula

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by TheDonNguyen, Aug 27, 2013.

1. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +96
    Hey all,

Going to school in Temecula and will have a 6 hr break between classes so I figured I would fish. Anyone have some good mid day spots they'd suggest? My break will be from 11-5ish

2. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +96
    Anyone? I know I can go to skinner but I was looking for some other options as well

3. Swimb8er

Swimb8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Well, how about a 20 min drive to Lake Skinner or a 35 min drive to Diamond Valley? Would still have plenty of time to fish.

Arden

4. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +96
    I thought about those...just seeing what other options there are

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,285
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Canyon Lake, but you have to know somebody. Nobassnobueno fishes there.

6. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +96
    how's the Skinner mid-day bite?

7. nobassnobueno

nobassnobueno Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If I was in Temecula for the day I would either fish Vail or Skinner. Vail is $10 to shore fish and $20 for a tube. DVL is turning into Hodges, no water, no fish, no shore fishing, strange hours.....

8. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,373
    You may want to call ahead before going to Vail. I have heard unofficially that there will be no more daily shore permits. I heard it from a couple of the members and when I came back in on Thursday a couple of the shore fishermen that I always talk to said that they were told when they bought permits that morning that it would be the last time. It was one of those things that happens. A few bad eggs ruined it for everybody. Where else could you go and catch 100 bass from shore? Eventually there was trash everywhere and things that had always been left out unattended started coming up missing. There was no one fishing from shore when I came in this morning for whatever that is worth. But then there was only one other boat on the lake today too. It always gets like that after Labor Day.

9. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +96
    Called Vail and they said no day shore passes. Went to skinner and got a couple dinks. Wind and heat got on it early so I only fished a couple hours. May try the duck pond next time

10. nobassnobueno

nobassnobueno Member

Ratings:
    +2

Well that was short lived, 2 weeks ago I tubed Vail with a friend and we stayed till 1am fishing back by the dam, it was an epic trip, a little scary but fun. Yarslov ended up locking the gate, usually he just loops the chain over but for whatever reason we got locked in. We had to take the road back to the camp ground, thankfully all of the gates were unlocked on our way out, we got a 7lbr for our troubles!

image-1.jpg

11. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +96
    probably people getting drunk and leaving a bunch of trash.

12. nobassnobueno

nobassnobueno Member

Ratings:
    +2

It probably had something to do with the fact that they only have 1 employee and no funds to support all of the new traffic coming in. Don't worry, the members are next to get the boot, it's happened before.

13. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +664
    man I would fish skinner as much as I could if I was you. That is my favorite lake ive ever fished and wish it was located closer. From the marina fallow the trail past the rental boats to the first rocks that are sticking out of the water. Just post up on that spot and wait for the fish to come to you. Use light line as the lake is pretty clear on most days and just wait out the spots.

14. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +96
    unfortunately, today was most likely the only day i get to fish up there cause i have school from 8am-830pm only on tuesdays...most of the time i'm fishing hodges or some other spots down here in san diego

15. surferjohn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +750
    Boat:
    Lowe Stinger 175
    Dont forget the Murrieta pond. Big Bass in there.

16. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,600
    Murrieta Pond Park, week days early morning would be a good time to fish there. Their are some Big Bass in that pond. I fly fish that pond a lot. Do good for the smaller bass,gills,crappie. The gear guys do well throwing plastic,sink worms,dropshot robos. No charge to fish, catch and release, could get crowded at times......

17. goseango

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +295
    Harveston Lake is your best shot in town.

18. goseango

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +295
    And you wonder why they closed it down :roll:

Well that was short lived, 2 weeks ago I tubed Vail with a friend and we stayed till 1am fishing back by the dam, it was an epic trip, a little scary but fun. Yarslov ended up locking the gate, usually he just loops the chain over but for whatever reason we got locked in. We had to take the road back to the camp ground, thankfully all of the gates were unlocked on our way out, we got a 7lbr for our troubles!

image-1.jpg [/quote]

19. nobassnobueno

nobassnobueno Member

Ratings:
    +2
    You can stay all night, Vail offers camping, there were at least 10 other people fishing when we got back in, I also saw 2 boats out, it was Saturday night. There are a lot of bon fires and people up late on the weekends with their RVs right on the water. Most of the campers I talk to are members, I have been a member for 5 years and just renewed my pass.

20. Big_Iner

Big_Iner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Vail offers a social membership that includes shore fishing camping tubeing/kayaking anything besides a boat for around 700 a year