Fishing LJ

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by HamSupLo, Sep 25, 2019.

1. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    I have been a long time lurker, and I thought I would start sharing some of my experiences on the water in this thread.

A little about me, I have been a local SD resident all my life and have been fishing for over 20 years in our backyard. I'm primarily a salt fan, and most of my experience comes from either fishing from shore, kayak, charter, and now finally from my own personal boat. What a journey it has been, and I find myself learning something new every time I spend the day on the water. Fishing is a very humbling sport that we all enjoy, and I think that's what I enjoy most about it. I'm a novice at best, so please feel free to share any thoughts or suggestions.

LJ report for -9/21
    On Friday night the wife says "we aren't doing anything tomorrow, why don't you go out and fish in the morning", me: "Are you sure, (half second pause)…….OK!)

Launched out of Dana Landing solo at 730am with the plans to target rock fish for dinner. I arrive at the BB soon after, and the bait looks really good compared to the thin pickings we have been getting lately, so I through a tip at the guys and Im off to LJ. The water on the way up was still pretty green, I had water in the 69 range. I started of fishing in 80-90'. Slow bite for most of the morning, managed to hook a few sclupin (smaller variety). Lots of folks out on Saturday, and from what I could tell no one was getting much action.

Right around 11am the bite picked up for the next hr. I managed a few calicos and called it quits after I had my red and sheephead in the bag for the wife's dinner plans. Overall great day, and I feel like I have the boat almost dialed in to where I want it.

Look forward to posting more. Thank you all for this awesome site. If you see me out there be sure to say hi!

LJ Sheephead 09212019.JPG

Capture.JPG

LJ calico 09212019.PNG

• Like Like x 24
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,124
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    I haven’t been out by myself for years now, enjoy it while you can! Lucky for me, my wife loves fishing almost as much as I do.

3. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,080
    Nice assortment and even better screen name. Didn't know what it meant until I looked it up. :emoji_metal:

4. farout

farout Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for the report and good luck with your new boat! For fishing solo I not sure why folks seem to have a need to tell people how to live their life's, I fish solo all the time but yes I have safety gear and keep my boat in order I watch the weather and pick my days.
    Enjoy your boat and catch a bunch !!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,722
    What type of skiff? I fish by myself all the time just cause that’s the best way my LV14 fishes. Just be safe, have extra fuel, water, food. Two radios (one waterproof handheld). I primarily fish PL to LJ. Make sure you have GPS/fishfinder. Fog can ruin a day in a heartbeat. Phone as a GPS backup. I have a travel battery charger for the phone just to be safe. I don’t wear a PDF but have them on board. I’ve been contemplating picking up a Fly Fishing PDF. Could carry the radio and some emergency gear in it. Also have thought about throwing a boogie board and some fins in the skiff. If I had to, could paddle in if need be. I NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the wheel with the boat in gear. Unless I’m seabass fishing, motor stays on. Don’t be nervous about being out there solo. Less people to ruin your day. And let’s be honest, when was the last time you fished without other people around? There are ****ing people everywhere.

6. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    I appreciate hearing your point of view and agree with you on mitigating for all potential risk as much as possible (In all aspects of life, not just boating). Believe me, if I felt nervous one bit out there I would not be on that boat. I don’t ever go out if the weather calls for anything besides perfect. Unless a new boat comes to fruition, no pelagics, only LJ, and the bays. Now, I don’t know about you but these areas on most days have me feeling anything but alone, quite the contrary actually.

Perhaps it’s just the way I grew up fishing or the fact that I spent a decade riding two wheels on a track (I don’t ride anymore - too risky), but I think sometimes trailering a boat on the freeway has me clinching cheeks more then sputting around solo at 15mph on a calm beautiful day with a properly maintained rig and safety equipment.

I wonder what your opinion is of fishing in a Kayak? Or renting one of those crappy skiffs out of seaforth in SD Bay? Ever been tubing? I've done these things 100X, and I feel comfortable doing it. Maybe others not so much. I can tell you, that I much rather be in my tiny boat then a yak (no offense to anyone)....I had an outback and a pro-angler, both of which I have had my fair of Oh S*** moments.

I know your comments are coming from a good place, but I disagree with your position based on the fishing I do. Do I think I am invincible? Certainly not......But if I shared your same thoughts, I probably wouldn't go out at all, and I felt the need to respond in case someone else is in a similar situation.

To be 100% clear, If I were running 50 miles offshore like you I would not go solo.

Response to rant over....

-J

#6 HamSupLo, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    I have a LV14 too! And totally agree, its much better suited for solo runs. You got a picture of your rig? I have connected with quite a few Livingston owners as of late, and I have gotten some great ideas. PM if you prefer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    Haha glad you caught it. It’s been an inside joke in my family for years.... I tend to be a salty kinda guy

9. HK_Supermarket

HK_Supermarket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +226
    Name:
    Ben
    lol your avatar and username are spot on. let me know if you looking for some other novices to fish with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Deep color

Deep color Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +226
    "SOLO" Police wow. Much more dangerous driving on the I-5 than fishing by yourself. When solo I stay connected to my kill switch with an extended lanyard

#10 Deep color, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,886
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I fished boilers alone at night for years from the kayak. Then again, the idea of death has never bothered me. Oddly enough, this place would miss me more than my own kids.. hahaha

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    Here’s my LV14 as it currently sits. It’s a 2015 with a Suzuki DF25 four stroke.

3482DA02-00AB-4A9C-8EEB-003886093519.png

View attachment 120848

13. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    Here’s a layout shot, in case anyone is interested.

B66127C4-95F4-48A4-BC7F-B2AE6D0C882D.jpeg

14. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    That’s a really clean looking set up.

Curious about why you have the bait tank so close to the console. Does it double as a seat? Or was that just for weight distribution reasons?

Seems like it could make things a little wet sometimes with all that water splashing around while you drive though?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +870
    I have a LV14 too, it’s a great platform to fish from. Your rig looks to be set up well and could handle more then you can imagine. The wind is the biggest factor I look at when deciding to go or not.

My sons are all grown, so I’m always solo. It’s a great way to clear your mind with just a singular focus of being on the water. My boats name is Caballito, stop by if you see me out there.

16. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    Yes your right. It’s put up front to help with weight. I get a little wet but nothing too bad.

17. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,942
    Are you kidding me? Telling him how to live his life? Bro, Geofish is airing to the side of caution. That's like someone going out by themselves spearfishing, and posting a report about it. And a more experienced person chiming in and saying, "Hey, it might be a bad idea to go spearfishing alone. There are a multitude of things that could happen to you if you're spearfishing, but if you're doing it with a partner then you have a much higher chance of coming home in the event of one of these unforeseen incidents occurring."

Geofish is a VERY experienced boater and fisherman. HamSupLo is fishing from a very small craft. It's the equivalent of a 14' Pro Angler kayak. I have a PA-12, and I NEVER fish alone offshore in it. I always go out with a partner. I have zero issues fishing in the bay with my kayak. There's zero chance of not being spotted if an incident occurs. And if HamSupLo fishes the bays by himself in his boat, I wouldn't think twice. But offshore is a completely different game.

I agree with Geo 100%. The smaller the boat, the more susceptible it is to variables that probably wouldn't effect a larger boat. But to say that he's trying to tell HamSupLo how to live his life when he's simply airing on the side of caution is wayyyy off base. If you're by yourelf in a boat, and something catastrophic happens, your chances of surviving decrease EXPONENTIALLY!!! FACT!!!!

18. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,886
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Death comes to all, Fomen .. some of us are bothered far less by it than others.. I accepted that if it came, it came when I was a kayakers fishing alone in the dark all those years.. back then , would pray over the blood on my yak that if it came, it came quickly....

19. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,942
    Agreed.... Death does come to all. New statistic in..... 1 out of 1 people die. You're a family man Werfless. Family comes first. I'm not opposed to fishing offshore, fishing in the dark, fishing in the rain, or fog, or blistering heat. I'm not opposed to fishing in the bay by myself. I also realize all of the aforementioned scenarios run the risk of dying. I run the risk of dying driving down the freeway. As a matter of fact, I probably have just as high or higher risk of injury driving than I do boating. BUT, the accessibility to help in the critical moments of the aforementioned situations diminishes the risk factor significantly. In the truck on the freeway, help will arrive QUICKLY! In the bay (if I'm alone), if something goes wrong, help will arrive QUICKLY. I love my family, and I love my life. I'm not opposed to taking risks. But some risks run increased potential danger. It's my $.02 that fishing in a small craft by yourself offshore is more risky than doing it with a partner. If you feel that the reward outweighs the risk, than by all means do it. I never said Don't do it. I said, I don't do it. And the reason I don't do it is because I don't feel the reward outweighs the risk. Again, just my $.02.

But the whole response I gave revolved around Geofish being a "papa", and sharing that it's risky to fish by yourself. He's a very experienced boater and fisherman. The guy is a fishing BEAST! He only posts about 10-15% of his trips. You and I both know this to be true as we are often recipients to his generosity with his catch. He always does things safely. And I appreciate this about him. I'd rather boat with someone like this than someone who just throws caution to the wind. But to imply that Geo was telling this guy how to live his life is a complete TWIST of truth. A text taken out of context becomes a pretext. And that's exactly what happened. And that's why I wrote what I did.

BTW.... Did I mention Werfless rocks!?!?

#19 Fomen, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  20. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,942
    BTW Mr HamSupLo...... I'm glad you listened to reason and bought your own boat instead of partnering with your business partner. I'm also glad you got one that fits on a trailer so you have zero slip fees. You are officially the captain of your own destiny. I hope the boat brings you years of bloody decks and tight lines! I was looking at the pictures. It really is a beautiful little boat. I think it will serve you well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List