Fishing Lure Curiosity Question...

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by LHawes, Jun 14, 2018.

1. LHawes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +527
    OK, Here's the scenario. High tide, surf has dropped and there's very little wave action. There's a 28" Halibut hanging out off shore just beyond the surf line and very easy to reach with even a short cast. A fisherman drags a Lucky Craft FM 130 MR in (let's say) Aurora Black over the top of the Hali and nuthin'. Five casts later still nuthin' and he decides to change lures.

Same scenario. This time 5 casts with a 1oz. Krocodile, exact same location right over the top of the Hali - still nuthin'.

Changes to a white Gulp swim bait. 5 perfect casts right over the top of the Hali - nuthin.

Changes to a white Gulp swim bait - 5 casts - nuthin'.

Changes to a Keitech swim bait. Same spot, same fish, first cast same location - wham - fish tacos...

What actually happened? Did the fish not see the Lucky Craft? Was he waiting for the sexy sardine color instead? Did he not see any of the lures except the Keitech swim bait? Is the Keitech the ONLY lure that fish was going to bite no matter what was thrown at it that day. WOuld he have bitten anything it actually saw?

But you've caught a hundred Halis on LC lures, is the Keitech now your new favorite Hali lure? But you never catch another on a Keitech but as soon as you switch to an LC - wham - more Hali fish tacos.

So another question. Is that Hali going to sit there until you throw EXACTLY the right pattern? or will he eat damn near anything you get close enough for it to see?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Ah, the mysteries of being a fisherman.. I have seen similar scenarios many many times. often, the presentation seems to be the trigger.. sometimes it seems like the angle the bait approaches the target is key, sometimes it seems like color is involved. I have seen a few times where repetition is key, apparently... Hard to say, the one constant I believe in, though, is the fisherman thinks a LOT more about it than the fish..

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. LHawes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +527
    Ha - Yeah I always wondered how many fish I've dragged over and had them not even give the lure a second look or... dragged lure over nuthin and never caught because..Will always wonder...

4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +452
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Considering a Halibut has the IQ of peanut butter , Seems to me it will be an instinctive strike or you just pissed it off enough to strike. I have had much the same scenario and always wondered as well. Good luck figuring out the pattern ! I for one certainly have not !

#4 William Ritchie, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Cyborgstarfish

Cyborgstarfish Cyborgstarfish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,543
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    I think halis are the hardest fish to understand. Like Werfless said it could be angle, color, presentation, size, etc..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. kciuchta

kciuchta Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,138
    Name:
    Kenny
    Yes.

7. swings are free

SDFish VIP