Fishing MB: My perspective

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by dj thrillz, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    I believe it too. One of the last times I was on MB, the two other guys I was with both caught 3.5 pound (weighed on my accurate digi) spotties within minutes of each other on spinnerbaits on the same grass bed.

There are plenty of big ones in there.

2. thehalibutboys

Ratings:
    +6
    Im sure you will. Hope to see you on the bay someday

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

3. 619Angler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +105
    great post Kevin. thanks for always willing to help! I love ur TNC swim grubs and still use them til now. I have a few more and once they're gone they're gone!!

4. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,394
    You know I feel your pain. I was completely out of them myself until another Kevin(southpaw) gave me a small assorted pack of them a few weeks back. I wish I could just find a few hours to do them up at my place but it's impossible there. I would have to dig them out of storage too, that would probably be at least another hour lol.
    I like hearing that people are still using the ones they have left. They will be back someday, I just don't know when. The thing I'm really having a hard time with are my jigheads. I'm completely out of those too. I can use old plastics I have, but I have to buy new jigheads lol. Tackle warehouse.... I'm their best friend I think.

5. kauaiboy04

kauaiboy04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    as my personal best halibut came off of the razor clam tnc grub, i loaded up on that bad boy before you stopped making them. now, i still got a container full of 'em. hehe...

6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,394
    I may need to buy some back lol.

7. MilFhunter858

MilFhunter858 Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Awesome read, great post DJ!!

8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,394
    Just thought I would throw this out there..... If you read my 1st posting in this thread, I mentioned greens, browns, and oranges being very productive colors in our bays, not only for myself, but for some reputable anglers too. I also specifically mentioned Ed Howerton and Dennis Burlason also having success with these colors. Well, those two gentlemen just won the Open Bay Bass tournament for the 4th time last Saturday. Kellen made a post about it. I read it, and in the article says this:

I'm not sure what other colors were thrown throughout the day, but I think I have a good idea. 2nd place finishers were about a pound behind....

I just wanted to add a little verification to my beliefs lol.

9. dan_gler

dan_gler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    WHAT? You're not going to give up your secret spots. JK I think you already gave more than what the average fishermen would do. Nice of you to take the time to give all of us a summary of your personal experiences. Not many guys would be willing to share that. This was an interesting read and I appreciate it.

10. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,394
    No problem. And actually, the day I ever leave San Diego, is the day I give up all my secrets lol. So stay tuned ;)

11. ydzm

ydzm Active Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for sharing the helpful information! I'm new to the forum and SD fishing. Looking forward to see you sometime in the bay.

12. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,394
    No prob, I frequent MB more than SD Bay, so chances are you'll bump into me there.

13. ustolemymarbles

ustolemymarbles Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the article! Very informative and corresponds with most of my succesful outing in MB.

The most interesting fact to me is that you mentioned the current is always moving the same direction, even with a strong incoming tide. That being said, one of my go-to spots to tube in MB is located where there is a lot of movement (I put myself in sketchy sitautions), and I always read tides to see which way I should be casting..seeing that a spottie would ambush facing against the water movement.

So my question is, would you advise on throwing up the current, or the direction in which the tide is coming? or am I just completely off base with my info haha

14. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,394
    Sorry I didn't notice this earlier, but if I'm sitting still wether it be casting from shore or for some reason anchored up, casting uphill working it back downhill is how I do it. When drifting its almost opposite. I cast down current but not straight down current. Normally at an angle, that way when I catch up to it the bait tends to roll over and change directions. Believe it or not a lot of strikes happen once the bait turns(my experience). If you are drifting, and you cast back uphill, the bait will not hit bottom unless you are using a really heavy lure. The current will keep the bait up in the water column. Maybe a good idea to cast out a hard bait, drift it behind you in the direction of the current, maybe a vina or cuda might take a liking to it. Then bass it up on the other side.

15. faster u fool

faster u fool Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Dj Thrilz doesnt know what hes talkng about. LOL Make me some baits!!!!. seriously, Kev knows what he is talking about. Take it for what it is worth, but follow his lead and put the time in you WILL succeed. I know first hand. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8) Killer write up.

16. RiceEater

RiceEater Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Wanted to say Thanks for the informative post and information that you put out there for the MB seasoned and newbie anglers alike. Definitely worth taking the time to read and I've already hit up two areas. Looking at getting a third in today and probably fishing Fiesta Island tomorrow.

17. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,394
    Awesome. If what I wrote has helped even one person, it was worth the time writing it up.

I got a couple pm's about doing an article for fishing in SD Bay, but it would sort of be pointless. The real skill in dominating in SD Bay is from on the water from a boat or yak. I'm on foot patrol, have been for several years now. It's not that hard to slay bass all day there, so there really isn't a point of creating an article.
    There are tons of guys on sdfish who do very well from boats that target all kinds of fish. They would be good candidates for a write up. Just wanted to throw this out there since several people read this and then ask lol.

18. Don Johnston

Don Johnston Member

Ratings:
    +10
    My best friend and I used to fish many places, including MB. I should have put "fish" in quotes because our lines got soggy and the bait got old but it was lonely times for the hook. But we sure did "snack" well on what we brought and had great times. This was high school days back last century in the very late 60's. I left the area after high school (didn't say I was the brightest bulb on the tree) and came back for short stays a couple of times and now I am back for good. So what I want to know is when did the fish start coming into MB or were we really that bad at fishing back then? LOL. I copied your write-up, DJ, as well as the maps and pasted them into a Word document so I can print it up on waterproof paper and take it with me until I learn to fish the bay. Thank you DJ.
    P.S. If I don't get any better at fishing, I'm gonna have to get some photoshop software so I can at least look like I know what I am doing. :)

19. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,394
    Lol, I was born in 1975 and am not too sure when fish populations were really starting to grow in MB. But I do know there were studies that were done about the fishery as far back as the 60's, so they had to be there then ;)

I can only assume that artificial lures weren't much of a thing back then, at least maybe for saltwater fishing. I would say that more than likely, you had to make bait somehow to be able to have a good shot at catching fish then. How available was bait? Not sure.
    What I do know, is that there are plenty of fish there now. It's tough to fish at times, but 20+ fish days can still be accomplished, you just need to be in the right place at the right time. I peek at my logs frequently, they tell me the what's and when's. Summer has always been the slowest time to fish MB (for bass), although some people seem to do great there in the Summer. They either are lying about their numbers, or they know better what's and when's than I do.
    Get in touch with as many anglers as you can, you will be able to put the pieces together a lot faster than you would trying things on your own. Not that it's a bad thing to roll solo, that's what I did 90% of the time. But it took me quite a while to figure out some stuff.
    I have had some pretty good feedback about the write up on this thread and especially through pm's. Hopefully the information proves to be useful to you too.

20. BaSSlayer

BaSSlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Boat:
    Tube
    Props to DJ thrillz. I'm sure every one who reads this thred will gain an edge in our bays. U have delivered vary valuable info and I thank you. It helped me a lot coming from fresh water. I can assure all my post are some way connected to thrillz post jah bless. See u on the water