Fishing MB: My perspective

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by dj thrillz, Nov 30, 2013.

1. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,391
    Glad it has helped :)

2. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Amazing. What a post, almost a year old I know but this is great stuff. Just got a SUP board to get in shape and figured I might as well fish from it, tried the first time today, I live in Bay Park so it's a short drive to MB. Failed miserably today with a spoon and a rapala minnow (never fished in salt water before, this was old freshwater bass stuff I have) in DeAnza cove while fish were literally jumping over my lures. A 12" fish with a bright yellow tail actually jumped and hit my board, are those young yellowtails? Anyway, thank you so much for this post, looks like I have some shopping to do.

3. Daiwadude

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +302
    Boat:
    Kayak
    image.jpg Dj Thanks for the great info, helped me a lot with bay bass fishing.. I caught my biggest spotty this season at mb last week, I mainly fish harbor island but tried out mb for the first time and had a blast catching bigger spotties....

4. Kilo_Papa

Kilo_Papa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Damn, that looks like a football.

5. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,391

The jumping fish are striped mullet. They get big and are very hard to catch.

Be careful, catching chunky spotties is very addicting. It may keep you from SD Bay for good lol.

6. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Thanks! I was wondering what those fish would go after with those small mouths, my little research on mullets says they're algae eaters, good luck with that huh.

Thanks to your lure advice I finally caught a few bass, can only manage one per outing so far but my first was keeper sized (or close to it, no measuring tape, not gonna keep bass anyway due to slow maturity cycle) out of SD bay. image.jpg I finally caught my first one in MB yesterday, way shorter but a big fat belly, I can see what you're saying about better quality in MB. Coming from being lucky to catch an occasional bass from little ponds around Chicago, this is unbelievable, pulling in nice sized fish from a surfboard?!? I've caught everything on curl tail lures, single and double tail, mainly green. Zero luck with fish shaped swimbaits of any color. So basically everything you said :)

Here's my big question: Coming from Chicago, tides aren't something I had to deal with so I have no idea what I'm doing, any general advice in what to do during : rising, high, falling, low tide would be appreciated, you and others touch on it but for a complete noob such as myself the "for dummies" version would be awesome. I'm similarly in a "fish when you can get out there" situation and can't plan trips at optimum times so I'd like to know why you'd use a different approach at a different tide. Thanks so much for your help, you've certainly started me on a nasty bass habit, so much to learn...

7. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,391
    See, here's the thing about tides. It doesn't really matter what the tide is doing, or what height it's at. The fish are feeding somewhere. So, it's really a matter of you getting out there, covering some turf, and keeping track of what you're doing so that you have an idea of either what to do or not to do the next time the tide is at a similar level. I have different areas I like to fish at certain tides, that's because of what I have logged tells me my success/fail history and I just pay attention to it.
    I don't always find fish, even if my logs point me in a specific direction from a previous epic outing. It's still a crap shoot if the fish are there. But more times than not its been very helpful.
    Seriously, don't get too lost in the whole incoming tide moving water full moon new moon summer is best because the water is warmest way of thinking. If you only have specific times you can fish, none of that means anything to you anyways. Get out there and start casting around. Just don't stick to one area if nothing is happening. If you are really short on time, take the skunk and a mental note. Next short session might be 4 miles the other way. A fish here and there is enough to get most people hooked, and sometimes catching one after 5 sessions of zero feels really damn good. You can learn a lot roaming the shoreline on foot, and if you get your hands on a tube or yak, you will gain more knowledge and be accessible to much more.

I offer people to come out with me every now and then, especially to those who have trouble catching fish in MB. Surprisingly, I have only had a handful out of dozens ever show up. Three weeks ago MB was exploding with large spotties. It was epic. The bigger spotties aren't being caught as much but the action is still good.
    I will be out for a couple hours today and maybe tomorrow if I'm lucky. If you are free from 4-6pm then send me a pm if you wanna join.

8. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Thanks so much, I will definitely be taking you up on your offer, the only question is when. I teach music lessons so afternoons and evenings are prime time, I love my job but it sure does cut into fishing time :) Work: scourge of the fishing class. I will PM you, and if I get a cancellation I'll be out there.

9. Brillz81

Brillz81 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Thank you so much for the great info! Just getting back into fishing and moved closer to MB, so this will definitely help. Planning on taking a skiff out of Dana Landing today. I have cut strips of squid, ghost shrimp, swimbaits and plan on getting a half scoop of live bait. Any pointers on which areas to focus on? I printed out the map above for reference. Any info would be much appreciated!! Thanks

10. Don Johnston

Don Johnston Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Had a good time this past weekend at Paradise Pt. 3 1/2 hours on Sat. yielded several bites and 6 small bass. Sunday, after church and brunch I was out again just for an hour at the same place. Wanted to see how midday would be...a few bites and 1 overly aggressive quite small bass. Yes, legal size would have been a lot more fun but I am still learning where the good spots are for me. Oh, yeah...saw a couple of guys checking on their lobster traps opposite side of Ingraham where the boat launch is. Could hear the one telling the other he had gotten one.

11. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,391
    I didn't see this until just now so I guess it won't help you today, but maybe next time... From the skif, I would focus on Fiesta Bay. Its right in between Vacation Island and Fiesta Island, and now that the summer crowds are almost gone, the traffic on the water isnt too bad. Squid will get you plenty of rays, and some bass. Ghost shrimp will get you everything, but mainly small. If you just want to target bass, then just throw plastics. If you want to try for halis, you will need the live bait.

12. Brillz81

Ratings:
    +48
    Beautiful day out out on the water in MB! I'll definitely focus on Fiesta Bay next time. Thank you guys for the quick response :) image.jpg

13. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,391
    Thats a pretty heavy lure for MB, looks like a sand bass took a liking to it though ;)

14. leetron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +316
    Brillz81, that picture is sweeeeet! Great color and contrast. Do you have a special filter on that? Making mission bay look like the Bahamas bro

15. Brillz81

Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks Leetron! My buddy brought his GoPro with us today and took some pretty sweet pictures. One day I'll invest in one so I can learn how to do this too.

16. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    I've been logging my outings and making notes to learn patterns as you suggest, good stuff, still using this post as reference very often for my quick trips. Similar to you I'm stuck fishing an hour or 2 here or there, still haven't had an opening during your good hours but when I do you'll know. One amusing log entry from a skunk a couple days ago: "East side of Sail Bay during low tide = weeds and sand flea bites."
    Still learning and having fun, see you out there some time.

17. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,391
    You will find that one thing that is just about the same all over MB is the weeds that line the shore. If you fished the east side of sail bay then you probably noticed a couple things other than sand fleas. First, it's pretty flat over there. Unless you wade out a bit you are only throwing into a couple feet of water during low tides. Second, you were more than likely throwing straight into the wind. So unless you were wading out a bit, you probably weren't getting your bait out far enough. Lately, I've been getting more bites out deeper. That area is good for bass, but it's one of the few areas I prefer a higher tide since it's so flat. West sail bay, completely opposite. South of the catamaran dock all the way to Santa Clara cove is a lot more friendly during lower tides, plus the wind is with you.
    Sand fleas are a nuisance, they love feet and just below the calf. A pair of deck boots will do the trick, I haven't had one mess with me in years while bay fishing.

Glad you're getting out and logging things. It will take some time before the pieces start falling into place, but they will. I had a tough time today where I did great the other day. I too will keep roaming around til I find better action.

18. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Yeah, the wind made it impossible to get past the grass, which was all leaning over, making it impossible to fish at 45 degrees. I dragged a sled head with a jerk shad through the weeds but 20 feet in a straight line to shore doesn't leave a lot of room for error, let alone being a foot or 2 deep. Thanks for the advice on the other side, will try that soon, still lots of bay to explore.

19. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,391
    Exploring is the fun part, discovering is the next. Download the 'windfinder' app. It will give you a good idea of what the wind direction is doing, its pretty accurate too. I prefer to fish downwind, but there are sometimes where the fishing is too good to care about headwinds. Wade out, put another brake on and whack em'.

20. Blabelfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +272
    I need to start logging as I've been taking little hints from the article and exploring as well. It's not going to do me much good though unless it's logged.

I seem to rotate between really good sessions and skunk/near skunk sessions but that's ok. Also been experimenting with different baits and trying to mix it up during slow and good bites to see what works and what doesn't.