1. Last day to order Spotted Bay Bass Shirts

Today is the last day to order the new Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

Fishing MB: My perspective

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by dj thrillz, Nov 30, 2013.

1. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,251
    On point! That's what I did....

The water has been like chocolate last couple days, been super slow. Had to resort to white at one point just to try and get them to go. The normal colors finally worked at second spot. But only had three come to the shore. Back at it again this afternoon.

2. skiffman

skiffman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I fished Mission in my skiff on Tuesday for 25 spotties in 5 hours. 07:30 - 12:30 . I'd call that a very good bite. A few caught here and there but I left fish biting in two zones to do some recon. Most caught in 5 -7' of water. All caught on 3" Big Hammers. No white baits were fished. The blade got bumped but they were only biting the blade as none were hooked fishing the blade.

3. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,251
    Awesome man!

4. tizzle86

tizzle86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Boat:
    NONE
    Im new here as well and looking to start my saltwater fishing game in S.D. vice the Pacific Northwest, or Eastern Sierra Nevadas. Your map is incredible. I have to ask I see people fishing in spot 34 leaving the dog park there. What are they catching and what are they using? I appreciate it.

5. tizzle86

tizzle86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Boat:
    NONE
    Im new here as well and looking to start my saltwater fishing game in S.D. vice the Pacific Northwest, or Eastern Sierra Nevadas. Your map is incredible. I have to ask I see people fishing in spot 34 leaving the dog park there. What are they catching and what are they using? I appreciate it.

6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,251
    Hello and welcome!
    Most people that fish that area are targeting bass. Certain times of the year it's great for sharks and rays also. But mainly bass. 3" swimbaits or curltail grubs will out fish anything there. Greens browns and oranges rule.

7. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,441
    Thanks for the info - my fishing 'luck' is really bad - so this should help improve my 'luck'.

8. yakinFish80

yakinFish80 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Boat:
    Wilderness Tarpon 12
    Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou DJ Thrillzs! I have enjoyed reading your post and have tried to absorb all of your priceless advice. Appreciate you man! Off to the bay I head to wet some lines...

9. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,251
    That's the best idea I've heard of all day. It's gonna be a great evening!! Good luck to you :)

10. Jig Jig Pow!

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,163
    I read your entire post and did not lose interest at any point. I'm fairly new to Mission bay and have been on a Mission learning that area. I had decent success and came across productive areas. Also some areas that you mentioned in this article. I even took some notes on your preferred colors and areas that I will definitely try out. I will also agree that Mission bay holds more quality fish than SD Bay. Harbor Island and other spots in SDB were my stomping grounds. Once again, thanks for the intel!

11. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,251
    Yeah man no prob. Hope you find success like I did. If you go, the west side is kicking out more bass than anywhere else from shore. If you are on a boat then north fiesta bay by the bowling pin is always a hot spot.

12. PROQUALIFIER619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +303
    Boat:
    fish cat 4
    Hell yea awsome !

13. OwenMeALunker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +145
    Can you please explain where this "Bowling Pin" is? I tried to find it on Google maps to no avail. It is close to West Ski Island? Thanks DJ

14. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,251
    It's the small government island in the middle of fiesta bay just west of fiesta island. Looks like a bowling pin, hence the name. I made a map on the first page of this thread. Look at number 26, that's the bowling pin.

#74 dj thrillz, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  15. OwenMeALunker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +145
    Ahh gotcha, thank you. Yeah none of the images are showing up on my work computer, damn government watchdogs...

16. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,441
    MB_BowlingPin.jpg

Looking from Fiesta Island.

17. OwenMeALunker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +145
  18. Bryce Howes

Bryce Howes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Boat:
    None
    this was sooooo helpful. thank you a ton! As someone who has fished a ton of places (almost entirely freshwater though) Spotties are new to me. I just moved down here a bit ago and have been trying to get into bay fishing but have had pretty bad luck. I release everything I catch unless it dies, so i really dont care what I catch as long as it pulls. haha

Fished swimbaits and jerkbaits in SD bay and MB with very spotty luck. about 4-5 trips
    still havnt got a shark or ray in two trips to MB with squid.

This post hopefully will help. Thanks again

19. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,251
    That's cool man, welcome to bay fishin. You'll soon start to realize that all of the FW tactics are just as productive in the salt, at least in the bays. As far as the sharks and rays goes, IMO spring time is best, but they are caught all year round. Shore bassin is currently slowish since they are in spawn mode. Dock fishing is your best bet for nicer bass, until the fall. Halibut are chewing but live bait is a must. This is surf fishing time for me, if you haven't given that a try, you don't know what your missin ;) Plenty of big corbina and halibut willing to play right now.
    Whatever you decided to fish for, best of luck to you. See you out there!

20. Bryce Howes

Bryce Howes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks again! Ive done some surf fishing before up in central CA for surf perch, running little motor oil grubs. As far as dock fishing, I used to do it as a kid at night where it was illegal but now that im an adult I really dont feel like getting charged with trespassing.. are there any of the boat docks that youre allowed to fish? I fished the little tiny one at Mission bay aquatic center and caught two spotties on bread, but nothing hit the plastics.