Fishing MB: My perspective

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by dj thrillz, Nov 30, 2013.

1. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,536
    Can't really fish from on the docks, so you either need to be in a boat, yak, tube, or have a spot near the shore. The aquatic center is a great spot, you just have to be there at the right time. Mid fall, shore bassin hell will break loose.

2. Dorean

Dorean Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the info. I will try my best to apply all of this new found knowledge. Will be fishing MB all this week for SBB and Calis. Hopefully I can catch some keepers!

3. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,536
    Only consistent place in MB for legal calicos is the channel off Hospitality Pt. Spotties aren't much of a table fish, seriously. More of a sport fish IMO. Good luck!

4. stoned-trout

stoned-trout If it smells like fish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +426
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    nice writeup..I kayak the bay ..it will help me a bit thanks...

5. stoned-trout

stoned-trout If it smells like fish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +426
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    mariners point been doing ok...mission point next to test

6. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,965
    This write up is legendary! I hope to amass 1/4 of the wisdom of Kevin so I could someday pay it forward as well.... Hope I stay in SD long term so I get that chance!

7. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,536
    Haha, not too sure about legendary but I appreciate the comment. I've had lots of positive feedback from people so I'm glad it's helped out.

8. Fisherman Nate

Fisherman Nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98
    I'm just getting started fishing the bay and this is fantastic, thank you!

9. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,536
    Well welcome to SD Bay/MB fishing. I hope you catch a ton of fish, and I look forward to reading your reports.

10. ED3

ED3
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +677
    Great article, I have fished MB from shore roughly five times in the last couple months have been pretty unproductive.
    I have fished all my life, but recently "grew a pair" and switched to baitcasters only. LOL
    I still have trouble with over runs and casting but I continue to practice and only use baitcasters every week.
    I can see the advantages of using one, once I get the technique completely dialed, but I am far from perfecting the technique yet.
    I really appreciate the mapping out of Mission Bay as you did at the start of this post, I am sure I will be using that to my advantage very soon.
    This is my first post, but I have been using the info on this site for a couple months now, great site, great info, thank you.

11. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,536
    Good deal man, glad you found the info useful.

12. Longbow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +887
    New to the forum. Thanks for the informative write up. I need to study the map of MB! My 12 year old son and I were there today. It seems we were a bit early. I ran into a fellow fisherman who told me the best time starts around sunset and to try Fiesta Island. I had a couple strikes and hooked one small bass on a big hammer swim bait. Hoping to have more success in the bay. We are definitely going back!

13. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,536
    Very good. One hook and your hooked ;)

14. PMAIXXSH`

PMAIXXSH` Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77
    Boat:
    HMS Sussex
    Thank you!!!

15. Chris_Schulte

Chris_Schulte Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Great write up. I've never been there but I learned a lot more about just shore fishing in general. Hoping to get there soon.

16. Johnp

Johnp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For someone new to SW fishing in the area, thank you!

17. BDHolmer

BDHolmer Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Guys, I have only fished freshwater lakes for trout, never been saltwater fishing. Just recently purchased a hobie mirage i11s and want to try fishing the bays, mostly for fun but eventually would like to catch some edible fish. Was wondering what type of gear to get for the bays. My stepfather used to go saltwater fishing I believe mostly down south. I found an old reel ( Daiwa AG4000B Graphite ) and rod ( Eagle Claw Quicksilver Spinning Rod Graphite Composite by Wright and McGill Co. ). Will any of these work ? If not, what would one recommend ? What kind and lb test of line do you recommend and what kind of jigs, baits or plastics do you recommend ? Any info would be appreciated.

18. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,536
    You probably should've started your own thread. Most people have seen this thread about the article, and not the responses, a few times. So when you reply to it, it probably would get looked over. Start a new thread and then the replies come like the IRS.
    But to answer your question, a simple 8-10# setup would do. Being on a yak sure increases your possibilities. Most of us toss soft plastics, but most of us release almost everything. If you want to target something to eat, I would buy live bait and bottom fish for halibut. You could also flatline them in Quivira basin for cudas or bonito.

19. retired

retired Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Hi DJ thank you for the write up an map with numbers with names attached. This helps since I am in Las Vegas an just retired an was hung up in the desert to dry up. Yes I know we have Lake Mead but I love salt water fishing cos I am from San Francisco. Now that I have the time I am planning to drive down to SD and dip my rod in the salties again and your write up certainly helps with the map and names so I could refer to what you are writing. Thank you again maybe I will kick some sand with you sometime. Love n Peace

20. Ultralight

Ultralight Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Just discovered this forum yesterday and hope to fish in SD bay for the first time ever this weekend as my family come to SD. But want to say 'THANKS!!' I've been members of a good number of fishing forums and must say this is probably the most generous and finest instructional post ever. Epic really. Hope to fish MB in the future based on your write up.

Thanks!
    UL