Fishing MB: My perspective

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by dj thrillz, Nov 30, 2013.

1. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,206
    Some people are super right hand dominant (me) so I do everything with my right. It's not idiotic, it's just what it is. You lose absolutely nothing by switching hands after the cast, it's literally a quarter of a second process. If I had to reel or cast with my left I'd give up fishing Cus I wouldn't be able to do it, and have fun.
    Let me know when you'd like me to outfish you with my idiotic unorthodox hand switchover method and I will prove to you it makes no difference ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    What im saying is that you can be more proficient if you were able to cast and retrieve without switching hands. Saying that you can outfish me proves nothing, i just started last year. Btw didnt i have the hot stick at fiesta between u me nick and adam?

3. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,206
    Perhaps.... But it wasn't because you didn't switch hands unless you hooked up immediately when hitting the water after a cast... That wasn't the case :p

4. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Idiotic? In addition to DJ thrillz points, Look at the classifieds. Look at the stock at a store. Then tell me how idiotic it is to spend a few dozen casts getting used to a right handed reel. If you want to severely limit your choice of reels, so be it.

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,715
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Kill em all.. Can get a komodo ss combo for 300$, a penn battle combo for 100$, a cheap lews baitcaster combo for 60$, a black max combo for 33$, an Okuma safina combo for 40$ or a 10$ 23 foot cane pole no problem. no matter either way... Catch em how you want with what you love to use. Spinning, casting, conventional, fixed line, cuban yo yo, or bang line, whatever it takes..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Lol, I own(ed) 3 of those, my blue max is on the bottom of SD Bay, which led to my next purchase, the $60 Lew's combo, which is still kicking, despite a couple parts rusting out. Great company with top notch customer service, even on their low end stuff. I have the Penn battle spinner, great reel, pretty bad rod but it's better than throwing a 4 oz pyramid by hand, at least slightly :) in Portugal the shore fishermen all had telescoping rods, I'd say at least 12' or so, with working reels, can't say I've seen anything like that here. Would be killer at the jetty/piers.

7. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    21', 21oz!?! MAGNA MAGIC STELFISH Telescopic Fishing Rod

8. choprguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +621
    I appreciate you taking the time to share the info. I have stuck with the righty and gotten use to reeling. I am now working on the casting and not birdnesting. Great info!

9. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Yep, it's all a balancing act. Most reels can be "self damped" to the point of no backlash, but the trade off is distance. I like to cover a lot of ground when bottom dragging with lures for bass and Hali's, so max distance is desirable. I set up so loose and feather so lightly with my thumb that I still get light overruns pretty regularly. Not a big deal, since I strip the line from the reel manually to let the lure sink on the spot anyway. This is from the yak, from shore I magnet or thumb up a little more to avoid any overrun so I can retrieve immediately.

10. choprguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +621
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,715
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I use a 23 foot fixed line rod pretty regularly. .. Not hard once you get used to it..

12. Charles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529
    If the lure gets out there...also grew up left handed in a right world, so some things are all right and some things left. My son (you have seen him) is right, and reels right like I do. I write left, mouse right, cast from left to right and reel right, then eat right but drive left half the time. So my running watch should be on the right, but feels better on my left, so I wear it right. Wife and 4 kids are all right, so clothes go on hangers their way so I do not look like the only backward one. As for the 2 fingers, my right hand is faster due to 10 key for accounting. Last when our first three kids were toddlers I got use to using both hands and got use to "switching hands." lol

13. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,206
    Dayuum....

14. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,790
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I'm left handed and it took me a solid 3 minutes to get used to casting a righty baitcaster without switching hands and never looked back. To me, seeing someone switching hands is like watching someone pushing mongo on their skateboard. It works, but it's not fluid and looks weird. Just like getting a Shimano Alderbaran, it sure is smooth, but you probably will still be outfished by werfless and his Cuban yoyo.

15. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,206
    It takes a lot of talent to be able to switch hands flawlessly, and catch fish. It's not weird, its a friggen art form!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    I'm talking about efficiency in bio mechanics not preference. When you cast your spinning rod, do you switch hands to reel?

17. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,206
    I do ;)
    6K fish to date, pretty efficient. Must be doing something right.

18. Charles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529
    Bio mechanics? Not looking to ruin my relaxation time with the kinesiology of recreational fishing.
    Of course, someone will say (not me), that better biomechanics may have gotten you 10k. lol

19. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,206
    All I know is I throw with my right, cast with my right, reel with my right, write with my right, }+*^{^£¥# with my right, and kick with my left(go figure...). It takes next to no time, literally less than half a second, to switch hands. There is no change in outcome once your bait hits the water. Only way you can prove that wrong is to land your bait in a fish's mouth on the fly and immediately start reeling. And that happens all the time, RIGHT?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,715
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Happens to me every time there is a calico within a hundred yards, seems like

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List