Fishing Morena

Discussion in 'Carp' started by Bobber, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,130
    I miss the old days. Camping and fishing all night at the North shore. It was a party zone. Good fishing and always a party on summer nights. One night almost got ran over in our tent by drunk 4X4ers. It was a blast. Catfish during the summer and trout in the winter. In H.S. it was one of the rare spots where you could burn and fish without getting harassed. We would back our buddies minivan right down to the lakeside and fish in crazy weather and kill the trout. I remember three of us fishing out of a back of a mini van in a downpour killing the trout on powerbait. Good times.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Manh3

Manh3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Boat:
    Nada
    I’m going to try my luck spot fishing for carp on the fly on Monday. Worst case I’ll heave y’all advice and fish off the docks with a size 2 hook with corn.

I’ll give y’all an update next week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,552
    I don't remember who it was but a fly fisherman said to fish the inlet when you fly fish Morena. The water should be flowing now too.

Side note: Check the weather that day it's supposed to be training or maybe even snowing up here that day.

Looking forward to your report.

4. wchilton

wchilton Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I was at Morena today and not a bite. The T dock was dis-connected from shore so no fishing off of that unless you're willing to get wet up to knees "I wasn't, too cold and windy". The water was very murky, maybe 1 inch visibility from all the run-off. I tried corn, powerbait, and dough baits from shore, casting out to the end of the T-dock with a water bubble.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Manh3

Manh3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Boat:
    Nada
    It was no bueno fly fishing. I think due to the storm all the carps are down at the bottom. I should’ve busted out the bobber setup, I meant “strike indicator” haha

6. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,651
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I asked some people at strouds about 3 weeks ago and they were saying its a spring and later bite for the fly. don't really know myself just repeating what I heard. its a bait and wait bite now after you feed the ducks some feed corn They tend to show up.

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,881
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    A few warm days in a row in the IV will get the bugs hatching, and the carp feeding up top

8. 123xyz

123xyz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315
    Today, Fri 22Feb, I visited the T-Dock. It was reconnected to the shore so nobody has to wade in the lake to get to it. I think I'll fish for carp tomorrow off the T-Dock.

Due the recent precipitation, the lake level has risen a couple of feet. It'll rise a little more as all the snow melts. Lake Morena Village got some snow recently and its not all melted yet.

9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,423
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Put a hurtin' on them!

10. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,651
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Look forward to another insightful post for my carp education, was thinking Wednesday to give it a try. I have commitments til Tuesday my boys playing college lacrosse for NAU and they are playing Biola and Channel islands this weekend and I will be going to see my boys first college lacrosse games in LA and Camarillo

11. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,552
    Recently like last night. And 95% of it has already melted. Maybe more right at the lake though. Maybe I'll stop by and watch the pro at work. Did you feed the ducks? I live right behind the market on Oak. Gotta be cold right on the lake right now. Brrrr. Good luck with those carp. I know they hate you. If you have extras you can always stop by and throw them in my garden. :emoji_smiley:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. 123xyz

123xyz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315
    I fished Morena on Sat 23 Feb 2019. I got lines in the water at 0800, fishing off the end of the T-Dock. On the hook, I used canned corn and also tried corn puffs. I used two pack baits: gritspack and soypack. After three discouraging hours, I packed up and left at 1100. No fish were caught. Only had one serious bite. For the three hours, weather was bright & sunny and mostly calm. At 0800, the temp was about 30 deg and at 1100, it was about 50 deg. Water was kinda murky with a couple of inches visibility. For the entire three hours, I did not see any carp surface action anywhere on the lake, which is rather unusual for Morena. On Friday, I did feed some ducks that were swimming around the end of the T-Dock. Didn't seem to produce any effect.

Today, I guess that either there were no fish in my area or, if there were fish in my area, they were not interested in my baits and they were not jumping or engaging in any surface action at all..........:emoji_sob:

skunked.jpg

#172 123xyz, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,881
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Thanks for the report.. appreciate it

14. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,552
    The snow must have driven them to other areas. I am guessing the inlets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. landman10

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +320
    Back in the day when the lake was full or close too it, we would take the kids up there right after the winter storms to go tubing and catch carp. I would park at the bridge area by the back entrance. Fishing poles were not needed, they would chase and catch carp by hand in the streams that were feeding Morena. I was amazed on how far they were from the lake It looked like a salmon run, there was so many of them it was a blast. We stopped going but I bet they still head up stream.Those were the days.

16. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,651
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Well if 123xyz gets a skunk I will wait to go to Morena and tube the bay instead.the bonus on that is I won't freeze my butt off.Thanks for the report

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,552
    I have never heard that, how interesting! My dad called that "finger fishing" in Utah. Next time I run into an old timer up here in the hood I'll ask about that.

18. 123xyz

123xyz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315
    Could someone show how to get to this location? Thanx much.

19. landman10

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +320
    Take 8 east to Buckman Springs Rd and turn right,
    Take a right hand turn on Morena Stokes Valley Rd this will take you to the back side of Morena (might be closed).
    If you pass Morena Stokes Valley Rd the bridge is a few blocks down.

20. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,552
    This is like a truck trail or is it a regular road?

At home I have a map all marked out how to get to the back side, at least the current back side which is much different than the old I am sure but....I am staying in PB for a week or so.

When I came out Buckman I paid special attention to the streams. The biggest of the ones coming from the east is flowing well and then there is another small one right at the start of Buckman I have never seen water in. Yay.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List