Flipping Question.

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Everydog, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Everydog

Everydog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I figure I might as well get good at flipping and pitching with all this time off the water.

My question is, do you let the spool run when flipping, or not? If I am supposed to let it run , at what point? How do different lure weights affect technique? I have watched a lot of videos and haven't seen anyone discuss this point.

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +20,530
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    You haven't watched the right vids! Flipping is using the same line over and over by taking up the slack line with your cranking hand. Pitching is actually putting out more line, so yes, the spool would be disengaged. You would not reel up all the line, leaving at least a rod's length of line out. Find a vid comparing and contrasting Flipping and Pitching.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,099
    Just think of pitching as an underhand cast.

4. Everydog

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the tips. It's starting to come together. Found more sense in some videos. Wrist stings, but looking forward to going back at it on the water.

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +20,530
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    #5 fisheromen, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +20,530
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Pain is a warning signal. Don't overdo it. Wrist problems can become chronic at any age!

7. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,531
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Flipping and pitching are very similar. One just a bit further back from the structure. If you are flipping in deeper water, say 10ft you need to allow the spool to run a bit, keep your thumb lightly on it as it does. There are times the fish blast it on the way down. You’ll feel it and be able close and set it without a back lash. Most times if short line flipping the spool set and tight or closed get out there. The main key is gear.

not all flipping is with 60-80 braid like we see on TV. In SD. 50 and less, even down to 30 depending on where you are and type of cover. My fav is 40 braid. Unless I am in extreme cover with crazy thick grass then I’m going 65.
    Faster reel 7:0 and higher and Med/hvy rod at a minimum with a hvy as beast bet

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,065
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Jacob wheeler has some great vids on these Technics

9. Everydog

Ratings:
    +35
    It's going pretty good now it just takes a while to a while to sort through conflicting comments of various youtube teachers and find what works for me. For instance, left vs right handed reel controversy, or whether or not pitching is all you need and flipping is out. Anyway , my take away is that there is no need to be a robot about it, just get some skills and know when to use them.

10. Everydog

Ratings:
    +35
    This is good feedback for putting the puzzle together. I have the 8" heavy flipping and also a shorter extra heavy frogging rod , but locally, flipping and pitching with a medium heavy weightless or slightly weighted baits can be good because the cover is often submerged brambles, buckbrush , or whatever it's called, not always the matted stuff.

Is flouro better than braid in the brush/ brambles?

11. bobbyusc

bobbyusc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    lol, I didnt disagree, my computer is slow and must have inadvertently click disagree. I was here just learning like everyone else :)

12. bobbyusc

bobbyusc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I removed the disagree.... made me laugh though, thanks for some much needed laughter. Stir crazy at home. Can only read so much fishing information

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,531
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Floro or braid ? It is what you like more. Its a personal thing. It needs to fit you. Try both and see what you like best. Both are great.