Float (bobber) fishing can be all it takes

Discussion in 'Panfish' started by spoonminnow, Oct 24, 2018.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    Before last year, I always thought casting small finesse lure would not benefit using a float. Like any presentation, floats have a time and place and may excel that of a horizontally retrieving a lure at over 1/2 foot/ second. The water temperature locally is 49-52 depending on shade and sunlight areas. Fish that are more apt to suspend in schools this time of year are panfish and depending on area, may not be in a chasing mood. It doesn't mean the strike isn't powerful, just that a bit of coaxing in position for a long time period is what it takes.

My last three outing using the float has led me to believe why catching fish with that presentation is more effective than faster retrieves resulting in much more aggressive strikes in cold water using finesse action lures suspended mid depth.

1. surface splash of the float overhead, then quiet (initial alert)
    2. a near stationary suspended lure, taunting and daring fish to a duel
    3. the more the merrier rule of school fish - aggression is infectious - proven when I can catch 6-20 fish from a school in the same spot, which is what I'm finding the usual seasonal trend in the northeast
    4. fish either chase swimming lures a distance or won't regardless the speed of retrieve; float fishing is a near-zero horizontal speed needed when fish suspend and aren't apt to pay much attention to lures on bottom or traveling horizontally more than half a foot per second.

When that float disappears from the surface after a few seconds of moving the lure just a few inches, you know that fish was pissed off and did not want to be disturbed! Casting and retrieving small lures didn't get strikes in the areas I witnessed this, but float fishing did! Here are a few usual proof pictures:
    Lure used under the foam float:
    jXsoiNl.jpg J2aAd1O.jpg NA7vaYn.jpg HfvMSzF.jpg

Fish started chasing a Beetle Spin rig in the 50 degree:
    UDtvR6X.jpg qEQW7Mv.jpg

Just another tool in the box to consider.

#1 spoonminnow, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +41,975
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Damn, man.. putting the wood to some fish there.. good eating size in the mix too.. I think you should start a youtube channel

3. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    SDfish is my favorite forum and the replies are educated, open minded and just shear fun to contribute ideas to that I believe worth angler consideration. You'd be surprised at the negative or no replies on other forums that comment positively only to conventional (and boring) lure related topics and never with photo examples showing lures in fish mouths. The proof is in the catching - everything else is just hype or lack of imagination.

I've posted ideas on a lure-making, Youtube site but no replies - ever; seems selling lures is more important, but thanks, always appreciated.

#3 spoonminnow, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +41,975
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Start a channel.. the non monetized fishing channels all have a ton of fun/love/support for each other.. seriously

5. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    Can you provide an example?

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +41,975
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  7. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Use a Rattlin' Bob (small plastic round float filled with tiny bird shot) flip out a 1/32 or 1/64 jig head with a small plastic or tipped with a piece of worm, etc, let sit then give it a slight jerk. Makes the R/B rattle as a noise attractant and makes the jig head jump with an alive action. Works for me.

8. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    You think the added vibration makes a difference? I've always wondered if BBs in a crankbait make much difference to bass. Seems like I've done as well with solid wood crankbaits for bass.

9. TommyP

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +102
    Question Spoonminnow? Am taking the neighbors 6 yr old son gillies fishing at San V next Monday, weather permitting. Any other ideas on areas and presentations to make this kids first fishing trip memorable? Also want length of leader do u use in that bobber set up?

Tommyp

10. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    Some suggestions I'm throwing out there:
    1. Show him how to use a push button reel and let him practice. Rod length should be 5' or a little less and light action. Are Snoopy rod/reel combos still sold?

2. The float shown or one similar allows good casting distance. Applauding and cheering his distance casts is one confidence building gesture he will want repeated when he catches his first fish.

3. A thin gage hook with live bait is a start. Of course, I would use the mono that came with the reel and not worry about a leader. If by some luck he graduates to a spinning reel fast, 8-10 # braid with a 1' 6# test fluorocarbon leader allows:
    a. good casting distance
    b. the best lure action with subtle rod tip / reel handle movements
    c. subtle strike detection with or without a float
    d. good hooksets with little angler effort

4. When it comes to hook sets, I would suggest doing the following first:
    After line is out say 20' with you holding the float in hand, have him close his eyes and feel the slight twitch you'll give the float. Twitch it a few times and explain that feelling the strike is as important if not more important than seeing it (IE non-float fishing). Point out that seeing the float dipping just a tiny bit is key to getting ready with a hook set. Tell him to raise the rod with both hands slowing, allowing him to feel the increasing pressure that he'll feel with fish on. Fish usually hook themselves with that set up, but jerking the rod tip once is good insurance (felt in practice with you holding the float) after the fight starts.

5 A float and live bait or a light jighead with plastic lure is IMO the way to get a child to learn the basics fast and for you to repeat exposure to them. He will appreciate the simple fact that fishing can be as simple as casting, strike detection and feeling the fish panic.

My 6 y/o nephew learned fast while on my bass boat especially since we happened upon a mixed school of crappie, sunfish and perch and he caught one fish after another after watching his float disappear. This was years ago when braid hadn't been invented. He was a fast learner!

If you want to go artificial lure only, my suggestions would be to uses a 1/32 or 1/16 jighead and 2" of the tail end of a finesse worm minus curl tail (#5, #6 and #7 in the photo).
    IUtxQc8.jpg
    A curl tail grub can be used for more aggressive fish and somewhat steady retrieve. But one thing is important: let him see the action of the lure in the water at his feet. Once he catches his first fish, he'll appreciate the basic reason why the fish struck: lure detection via sight and feel because of subtle lure action. Even a live worm has subtle wiggles that excite fish to bite. By no means suggest the lure represents anything to a fish but which is, by nature, a detection/ biting machine willing to tempt fate and attack that which moves the right way at the right speed.

That is the perfect age to hook a kid on fishing! My granddaughter was that age when she caught her first fish from my pond and then didn't want to leave. But first, she and her sister practiced casting down my driveway. Any fish a child catches for the first time leaves a lasting impression that will never be forgotten nor will the person who makes it happen. Most of all, be ultra-patient and supportive, applauding every accomplishment no matter how small. Positive reinforcement of the basic principles of fishing shows him there is a right way and that a little learning can be rewarding - in this case a fish fighting to get away.

Catch & release teaches mercy and the appreciation of the fish that supplied him with excitement and a sense of accomplishment.

Ignore as much of the above as you see fit, but racking my brain to cover all bases at 1 AM was what I felt necessary for a child to learn and appreciate the addiction we call fishing.

Good luck to both of you.

Frank

#10 spoonminnow, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    One thing I forgot to mention. Don't forget to always take pictures and store them for present and future use. A picture of his first fish is invaluable for both of you as well as a documentation of memories you both were key players a part of. Let him also take pictures - just one more valuable facet of the outdoor fishing experience.
    Things to photograph: lure(s) he used, him holding up fish, fish held next to a ruler, scenic and nature shots, kids that fished with your son and him in the picture. Video is also cool to watch years from now.

Store them on a memory stick or on line on free photo storage sites like IMGUR.com where you can also modify photos many many ways. They also allow adding text to the photo such as date taken, the name of a lure or any other pertinent information. Example:
    jKMMcn9.jpg OUqtpMx.png
    Note: lure pictured

Unless you have a photographic memory, it would be a shame to let those memories fade, disappear or remembered incorrectly. A picture speaks a thousand words.

#11 spoonminnow, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  12. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,166
    Do you use a bobber with the beetle spin?

13. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    It can't work because of how spin blade lures are fished. Best are small soft plastics or hair jigs rigged on light jigs which I learned from an 85 y.o. angler, expert at using floats and jigs that I watched on a Jerry McGinnis show over 25 years ago. His leader was over 5' long or longer fishing in water over 15'. Man did he catch some nice fish!! Old doesn't mean senile (though in my case near 70 my wife would differ).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,166
    I didn’t think so but just wondering

15. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,478
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    Is this even in San Diego?

16. TommyP

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks Frank for the info, will let u know the results

LGF........D

TommyP

17. Serruchofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +296
  18. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +41,975
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Thanks.. appreciate it.. I don't post often, try to at least make it fun when I do though

19. Beangone

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +613
    Very nice photos by the way

20. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    Thanks. Photos won't let me lie to myself:emoji_wink:
    They remind me of ideas that worked and memorable things that happened on specific waters.
    I have folders for each water and within, folders marked with date and numbers of fish caught.
    Emphasis is on lures used, sonar shots and weather .