Float Tube Bladder Leaking

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Mrvoy, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Mrvoy

Mrvoy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Hello everyone.

Does anybody here have issues with there float tube bladders leaking? I have the cumberland float tube and the bladders will sometimes leak along the seams, either on the top or bottom of the bladder. The bladder is weakest along the seams. This seems to be a common issue with the cumberland bladder. I love it and am very happy and satisfy with it but I am also very disappointed with it's low quality weak bladder. It's very frustrating to get to the lake, pump up the tube just to have it leak on you. Does anyone here know if there's a stronger replacement bladder without the leaking issue?

2. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,663
    Had 2 leaky bladders from fish cat . One from the seams and one from the seal around the filler cap.

3. Gasman

Gasman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    There’s a product called Tear-Aid that works really well. I think R.E.I. sells it, but I’m sure you can find it on amazon.

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,759
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    My Cumberland also has leak issues, but it is the valves rather than the bladder. The little rubber washer must be in the cap. It falls out easily. Also I put some bee's wax on the cap threads. I actually took the bladder out and thoroughly checked it for leaks and found none.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. socalteacher

socalteacher Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232
    Boat:
    nope
    Same with my Cumberland. Absolutely couldn’t find the leak and it was enough to only allow me to fish about 2 hours before getting to low.

6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,378
    Well, no regarding any leaks from weak seams. But I don't own Cumberland either.. I went with Outcast FishCat 4D and now have a total of three of them. I've only had them for just a little over two seasons now, but they've behaved flawlessly. Only issue I've ever had was an overfill matter on a hot summer morning and a four-hour session that caused the outer fabric to tear away from the valve stitching. And because Outcast is the premier organization with warranty coverage, they sent me an entire new float tube - no questions asked.

The good thing is that you like your float tube regardless of its issues. The bad thing is that you're having to deal with a low quality/weak bladder. The frustration you must be feeling can certainly get in the way of you having a no-worry day on the water.. not to mention any worry you might have about the weak bladder just flat-out exploding on you while you're yards away from any shore of safety.

Let us know how you resolved the issue. All of this information is good for all of us to know. Mike

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,759
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Two things:
    1. Get 3' of 3/4" od plastic tubing and stash it behind your seat. If ever you have a leak it will save you or save a day fishing. The tubing fits tightly into the Boston valve and just a few puffs will keep your tube tight.

2. Check your Boston Valves. Since putting bees wax on the threads my air loss has greatly diminished. Also the anti back flow flap may have dirt under it.

I doubt that Classic Accessories makes their own Boston Valves. I have had no problem with bladders.

8. Mrvoy

Mrvoy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    I was hoping classic accessories make higher quality replacement bladders. I'm tired of patching up the bladder and it's frustrating to get to lake and just have it leak on you. However, as far as patching the bladder is concern, I've tried multiple products but none work as good as aquaseal. Aquaseal is by far the best for wader and bladder patching. I highly recommend it.

9. Kyle Goodman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +355
    Tear aid type B is sold at big 5 sporting goods, it has stuff in the pack for leaking seams. I alwasy carry a box with me just in case i get to the water and the tube is leaking, that way you can save your trip.

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,759
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    A friend just gave me his Fish Cat 4 because he was frustrated with the leaking. I sprayed the Boston Valves with soapy water and the tiny bubbles started coming out around the main valve. (closest to the bladder) I took the valve apart and noticed the washer was a little cracked. I removed it and found that on the backside of the washer was a small groove that exactly corresponded with the valve seat. Seems the washer was installed upside down. I lubed it with bee's wax and installed it properly. Gave it a good twist with water pumps and no leak. Probably need new washers, but for now it does not leak.

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,759
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Wednesday and still no leaky!

12. Dustdevil

Dustdevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I just bought a Cumberland and it is my first float tube. I bought the tube and fins combo for $149 from Costco. I guess if it's a problem in the next 10 years I will just return it and get my $$$ back.

13. wbttk

wbttk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69
    I have a cumberland and have gone through a couple replacement bladders, so I just ordered a super fat cat. I'm hoping that the polyurethane bladder in it will be better than the PVC bladder in the cumberland.

14. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,128
    Boat:
    It floats
    I have had luck sealing leaking seams with aqua seal. Gorilla clear vinyl tape works well too for any leak issue

15. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,759
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Did you actually locate leaks in the bladders? Just asking because all my leakage has been in the valves. Totally fixable!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. wbttk

wbttk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69
    On the first leak, there was a slow leak and the air bladder blew up when pumping it back up. One the second leak, I wasn't confident in patching the air bladder, so I just ordered a new pair. Now, I'm seeing that patching kits work well, so I might have tried that instead. The urethane bladder in the super fat cat is just piece of mind, really. If the cumberland had that bladder, I'd stick with that because it's a great tube.

17. Mrvoy

Mrvoy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Yes, I actually locate all leaks on the bladders. Use a towel and soapy water, run it over the inflatted bladder and you'll find it. 9 times out of 10, it'll be from the seams either at the top smaller end or bottom rounded end.

18. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    Aqua seal is all I’ve ever used to fix tears and nothing else I’ve tried has worked as good...never tried tear aid but sounds like it may be close to the same product...I always keep some tube in my tube like fom says..and if you can’t find the leak check the valves...

19. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,551
    Fill the bladder till it's tight. Then place the suspected leak next to your lips and if it's leaking you will feel it on your lips/face. Try Shoe Goop smeared on the leak. Works for me.

20. blkdackz1

blkdackz1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Boat:
    2012 Hobie Revo 11
    Dick’s carries replacement Boston Valves. I recently purchased 2 to replace the cracked and leaking O-rings at the outer air release section of the valve.