Float Tube Bladder Repair Made Easy!

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by MaxZmus, Jun 15, 2014.

1. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,034
    Recently I punctured my tube with a hook and after hunting for the best patching solution I came across a product called Tear-aid. All you have to do is clean the area well with soap and water or alcohol and simply sticky this tape style adhesive patching material over the puncture and you're done! No buffing with sand paper, no messy gluing, and no long curing times. As a matter of fact, the last time I had a puncture I sent my tube to Aire Inflatables, which is the company that makes Outcast Boats/ Fishcat tubes and they used the exact same product to patch my tube. I did not know this until I unzipped my SuperFatCat for the first time since that last incident(approximately 4 years ago) and was surprised and also relieved that the product had held up so well. From now on I will always carry a piece of Tear-Aid with me when I'm out tubing. This is the Tear-Aid Type-A formula not the Type B.
    14149_L1_zps7c5ae95c.jpg

2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,311
    Thanks for sharing, that could be a day saver.

3. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    Ive been using that for a while now, and ill swear by it as well. I take it a step further by blasting it with a heat gun (about 120-50*F) for a few seconds. Only reason why I did that was because my leak was on the seam unfortunately. ECBT sells the stuff, or you can order it. It comes in a 8.5x11 sheet just like a regular piece of paper. Pre cut your sizes, and get your show on the road.

Excellent call on recommending this stuff Max!

4. barryf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +156
    I found that the type A doesn't work well on the inflatable seat of super fat cat. The fabric has a texture that doesn't allow a good seal. I've tried it twice, had em both fail.

5. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,034
    Barry, have you tried the Type B for the seat? How did you fix the seat?

6. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,034
    That 8.5x11" sheet sounds like it could be handy for large tears. The stuff in the photo above is only 3x12".

7. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    Yea, I have the type B

8. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +721
    Yep looks like I will have to buy a box.. I'm surprised on how durable thoes tubes are.

9. barryf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +156
    I haven't fixed it yet. It completely deflates in about 3 hours. I can easily pump it back up by just kicking to shore. An interesting note, a completely deflated seat on super fat cat is no big deal. I barely notice it. I still ride high and dry.

Im gonna call outcast and see if seat bladders are just as easily warrantied and main bladders.