Float tube essentials?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Easy619, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,043
    Name:
    Eric
    Ordered a float tube the other day, been reading plenty of threads on here as far as essential gear to have and other additions that are "nice to have".

Here is my list so far:
    Tube (duh)
    Waders
    Fins
    Life vest
    Rod rack
    Dry bag
    Whistle
    Net
    Some kind of tethers to not loose rods
    Whistle
    Pliers/line cutters ect
    Waterproof phone case lanyard

Am I forgetting anything, or any other suggestions?

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,333
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Fish finder , Hydration , Tums or electrolyte replacement for possible muscle cramps . Sounds like you got a good list going . Good Luck .WR

3. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +956
    I would say so don’t need a net or rod leashes but that’s a personal preference sort of deal. A cooler to fit behind your seat is important in the summer.

4. Tony Vegas

Tony Vegas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +836
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    go with the leashes you never need em till you do. better to have and not need then need and not have. Also get some water proof tackle boxes like 3500s or 3600s if in the rare occurrence that you take a dip you wont lose all your tackle. they will float. they have em at harbor freight for cheap

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,292
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. kirkboat

kirkboat Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I use rod floats. Much better than leases. BPS has them and very reasonable

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,043
    Name:
    Eric
    Electrolyte drink for cramps is a great idea I didnt even think about that. Creek mentioned he had a fish finder on his tube, I was planning on that forgot to add it on the list.

Thanks for posting that thread, I remember reading it a while back but couldn't find it last night. I may eventually end up with the "kitchen sink" approach but wanted to make sure my first trip out I had the essentials. Looking forward to accessing some waters I've never been able to cast into previously

8. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,333
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    General-Ocean-Fishing-Regs , Title 14 sec 28.65 (d) for clarification on need and use of a landing net . If you are on a device that floats in ocean waters you need one . WR

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,043
    Name:
    Eric
    Good to know. I already have a net I take with me rock hopping when targeting fish that could be over 4lbs (halibut or corvs). Good to know that I will need to have the net on the tube.

10. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,333
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Just a side note on my first reply . Tums are high in calcium and will relieve cramps for most people almost instantly . They should be considered an emergency item and the cramping is better quelled by proper hydration and electrolytes . Tums indeed work very fast in the short term . WR

11. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,711
    Main thing is don't over think it.
    For longer days like at Barrett i used a 5 gallon bucket for extra stuff. Works great
    Tubbing is the best, fish come to you lol

12. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,417
    Magnesium chelate or citrate works better for cramps for me, take before getting on the water. Don't get MgO, not very bioavailable. And MgCl or MgSO4 are strong laxatives. 100-250 mg is about right.

If you are really prone to cramps, pickle juice or hot dog mustard packets work fastest.
    pickle pops - Google Search

I find the fish finder increases my catch at least 50%, maybe 100%.

I am big on the net too, get the rubber mesh type, not the corded type. Never once embedded a hook past the barb in myself, partly because I don't try to pick up fish thrashing around with a crankbait in its mouth.

If you have a good rod rack, you won't need tethers for the rods. Maybe for the fins though.

Add wide brimmed hat, sunscreen, Buff, sun/fishing gloves, sunglasses. thin long sleeve SPF 50 fishing shirt. Skin cancer is a real risk. At Barrett, I will even bring a small towel that I wet down and put around my neck to cool off (in addition to dipping hat and arms in the water).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,096
    Cut a hole in your waders at your belly button so you can easily drain the main vein without kicking all the way to shore

14. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,043
    Name:
    Eric
    Any recommendations on an affordable (less than 150$) fish finder? Looking at a Garmin Striker 4 seems to have solid reviews

15. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,733
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Heard good things from multiple guys about Garmin

16. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,043
    Name:
    Eric
    Seems like it. At a little over 100$ for the unit seems like a solid investment. Got my list together for the most part, going to pull the trigger. Rod rack is the one I will have to look further into and put together. Probably need stocking foot waders too. I have booted waders I wear in the surf in the winter, but boots and fins doesn't seem like it makes sense..

17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,733
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    This one is on sale at the moment..

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/garmin-striker-plus-4cv-fishfinder-gps-combo-100072263

18. Tony Vegas

Tony Vegas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +836
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    I have the striker 4 portable bundle for when i go on rental boats honestly its a great unit for the price and all the features it has

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,224
    Everyone is different. I'm a safety first person. A 6' length of heavy nylon cord with carabiners at each end. One is locked onto my float tube and the other 5 1/2' is stowed in the right rear zipper pouch. Why do I have a 6' piece of heavy nylon with carabinders? In case I need to tie onto something because I might be exhausted - or tie onto someone that didnt hydrate or isnt feeling well and tow them back.

Leashes for everything that could go overboard (pliers, fish lipper, sonar and fly rod). You'll understand that the first time your nice new reel and rod goes overboard. Hasnt happened to me, but I know it has to others. That should get your wheels turning.

Personal preference for everything. Just be safe - and dont worry about any muscle cramps. Wear the right fins (Force Fins or Outcast Power Kicks are made for float tubing - not diving), dont float tube for hours during steep tidal flows, stay hydrated, and leg cramps will be non-existent. I cant remember the last time I floated for more than 3 1/2 hrs in a single session.

20. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,115
    A big pill bottle stores lures that are swapped out...so the salty/wet ones don't go back in the tackle box.

Your boot foot waders may work fine with Force or Power kick fins that have straps over the top. With a little adjustment to the straps, force fins fit over boots, dive booties and just the stocking feet of my waders.

Storage is very limited on my cheapo tube, so the best mod I have done is to really trim down the amount of terminal tackle. Used to carry two 3600 waterproof boxes and a gallon Ziploc bag stuffed with plastics...all shoehorned into a pocket on the tube. Spent an extra 30 seconds or so cursing loudly while tetrising it all back in place every time I needed something. Now it's down to one 3500 box and one 3400...and the gallon Ziploc is half full.

Dittos on Creek' s rope w carabiners on the ends. I clip to a mooring float or an overhanging branch sometimes to re-rig. And to secure the tube to the dock when launching and getting out.

Fun fact: carabiners from harbor freight or big lots work just as well as the ones from REI....unless you taking your float tube up K2.

Fun fact: a big ziptie and a carabiner will secure a legal halibut to your tube and take up a lot less space than a game clip.

Fun fact: a lightweight windbreaker compresses down into a sandwich size Ziploc bag...handy when the sunny day turns windy.

If waders turn out to be more trouble than they are worth tubing the bays in the summertime....and you get chilly after a few hours of trunking it...neoprene shorts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List