Float tube essentials?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Easy619, Mar 19, 2021.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,618
    Oh.
    If your tube gets here and you'd rather get it wet than spend an afternoon building a rod rack...
    Wal-Mart has a 3 rod rack for 10 bucks. Couple Velcro straps an a bungee cord and you're good to go.
    You can always upgrade later....

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    Fun fact: a big ziptie and a carabiner on a legal halibut will not discourage a seal one bit (at least that is my speculation). Nor would a game clip.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    FYI, Creek likes to keep his trips <3.5 hours. There are those of us who can't remember the last time we took a trip <3.5 hours and there is nothing better for us than getting on a fast tidal flow and letting it take us out and back over a full day. When I 1st started tubing I would get cramps in my toes but never my legs (probably because I mountain and road bike) but that goes away as the body get conditioned. I have had 12 hour days on the bay and 14 hour days at Barrett. Just depends on your preference. Creek is right on with the fins, get ones made for tubing. On hot days on inland lakes, beef jerky provides lots of salt too, I will use that rather than sugary sports drink.

This is nice for holding pliers (they sink real fast in water): Hillman Metal/Plastic Assorted Wrist Coil Key Chain - Ace Hardware . I epoxied a wire eye on my pliers so I could clip to them.

Retractable cords are nice too. I like the Boomerang tool as it works and comes with its own cord: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...DEcfkiqMpB0Wr0hGXdIaAjm2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

4. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,045
    Name:
    Eric
    Man tons of great advice and ideas thanks guys. I went with the power kick fins, I'll see how the booted waders I already have work with those. Planning on making my first run next week, going to hold off on the fish finder and rod rack, go bare bones on that first outing with 1 rod and just get used to the tube and get a feel for what where I want to mount accessories and how. Still thinking a bit on fishfinder setup, plan is after that first run , make the 2nd round of purchases and mount rod rack and fish finder and go from there.

5. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,618
    Surprisingly, I have not dropped anything over the side of my tube. Leashes seem bothersome....except on fins.
    I lost an inexpensive fin trying to scramble up a sheer underwater bank....luckily Scott found it on his next visit to that pond. When I went spendy on the Force fins...I put leashes on those puppies before I ever got 'em wet.
    I have scissors/forceps on a piece of paracord around my neck. This type costs a few dollars more than some, but they're also a little heavier duty....somewhere between forceps and needlenose pliers. Turner's often has 'em in stock.... upload_2021-3-21_23-34-57.png

and this thing.....used to have crystal light or some kind of drink mix packets in it. Good for storing bigger plugs after using, so they don't go back in the tackle box wet. Do NOT put soft plastics in it...

20210322_104629[1].jpg

#25 carpkiller, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  6. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,867
    After all this it'll be hilarious if he just decides to buy a boat
    As a 3rd season tubber i found this thread very helpful. Thanks guys/gals/others

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,082
    In the end, its all personal preference. First and foremost I'm a safety freak, so I tend to put safety first - which includes things like the best PFD money can buy, leashes for everything that could go overboard, the brightest flashing red bike lights I can get for foggy mornings and evening sessions, the best fins available to prevent cramping and strain, and the list goes on. Personal preferences are often within whatever a persons' budget allows. We're all different.

8. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,045
    Name:
    Eric
    Bro I'm so far from having boat money hahaha

9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,313
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Kayak... Find a cheapie... A lot more versatile than a tube, though tubes are nice

10. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,045
    Name:
    Eric
    I thought about that, probably end up with one down the road. Tube should be a good start and entertain me for a while.
    One of my michigan buddies picked up a canoe and has just been absolutely slaying steelhead, inspired me to to get off the shore on the regular, besides the sport boat stuff. Looking forward to getting at some different territory in the bays, as well as some lakes. Its bizarre but I haven't fished fresh once yet in California

11. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,313
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Not missing much around here.. if you ever want to hit the IV, let me know.. or the local ditches, either one

12. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,045
    Name:
    Eric
    I gotta check out the IV, I'd love to fish with ya there. Trouble for me is coordinating my wack schedule with the 9-5 crowd. We'll have to set something up though, I can always get a day off to make it happen with some advance planning

13. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,313
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Let me know. I am headed to the Sierra next week looks like. Schedule might open up after that. Have a guy or two ahead of you in line, but don't hesitate to reach out

14. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,992
    Having just bought my first float tube this thread has been all sorts of helpful lol. Now just need the time to float the durn thing

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,082
    But... can you safely take a kayak into the tight places such as occupied boat docks without banging into boats and doing some property damage or worse? Thats the benefit of using a float tube - its small. You can hide, you're deadly quiet, and once you master direction with your feet and hip pushes you're good to go - for me, anyways.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,313
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Keep in mind this dude chases tuna on the boats. Tubes are great, make no mistake, knowing the dude in question tho...

17. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,082
    Ahhh...

18. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,313
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    One of the best things about a tube is transportation for the thing.. hell of a lot easier for tube than yak. Just all depends. Tossed it out there to him tho

19. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,992
    Storage too. Tube is waaaay easier to store lol

20. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,867
    You mean you all haven't fished tuna on your tube. missing out. I was like old man and the sea. Hooked my tuna at the 1010 trench landed it in Hawaii lol.
    A few years back I tubbed around the kelp, was dropped off and had lots of fun going right over the kelp slaying bass and SH. Won't do it again. seals are very territorial

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List