Float tube essentials?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Easy619, Mar 19, 2021.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,618
    Ditto.
    Also...metered parking at SL has a 4 hour time limit, even on holidays (according to the Port District site). I hate leaving a good bite to go move my truck.

2. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,363
    Name:
    c
    Boat:
    Nice tube and yak
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,363
    Name:
    c
    Boat:
    Nice tube and yak
    Fisherman’s Channel:

fish/narrow area=good fishing

That muck on the NE corner of VI steals footgear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,765
    Or Liberty Station for ease if launch and no paid parking, but I've always had better luck with quantity and quality at Mariners

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,045
    Name:
    Eric
    How much of a concern are tides, obviously for fish activity, but in terms of diffculty/safety? If I get out in a protected area on a big outgoing tide am I going to get sucked out into the main channel and go for a big ride?

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,313
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Zuniga on a king tide from a tube would be interesting...

7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,618
    Mariner's Basin, the Cays, Glorietta Bay, J St. Marina...there's only so much water that's flowing out of those. There will be water moving, but if the wind isn't also pushing you, you can move around pretty well even if you lost a fin or got a cramp in one leg.
    Now, the area between Ski Beach and Fiesta Island might seem pretty calm (if the weather's cool enough so it's not crowded with boaters). But if you are out there and the tide starts running out, there's a **** ton of water 'upstream.' When a hobo takes a piss in Marion Bear Park, it's gonna flow into Rose Creek to De Anza Cove to the ocean, and you're in the middle of it. The worst current I was ever stuck in was in the channel along the south side of vacation Island between South Cove and where we had launched at Ski Beach. Lotta hydrated hobos upstream that day.
    Most places, if you can get closer to the bank there is less current and you can get back upstream.
    Unless it's windy. That's why I have an English-to-Japanese phrasebook in the tube at all times.....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. fshkayak

fshkayak Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Boat:
    Lund
    I have been float tubing for many years. You have a great list going. I cannot stress too much that the fins you select are critical. Some of the fins will cause you to cramp quickly and not facilitate the smooth movement through the water. I have at least six types of fins on hand, my whole family float tubes, and by far the Force Fins over a stocking foot water have been my favorite. I would suggest you get your waders and then go to a store that has Force Fins to size them. Once you get the size head to E Bay and pick up a used pair for 1/3 - 1/2 of the cost. I now have six pairs for my family and never hear a complaint. Good luck!

9. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,618
    I also have the Force fins. They fit over stockingfoot waders, boots, or dive booties. It's not just about cramping; they are also comfortable to wear. Regular swim fins can chew up your feet.

10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,082
    Nice to know that there are several others that agree on the Force and Outcast Power Kick fins being the best out there. They're purposely made to push water on the UP stroke. Sooo much easier on your muscles and adds so much more propulsion with less effort.