Float Tube Fishing....

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by acheng1021, Apr 6, 2019.

1. acheng1021

acheng1021 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +154
    hey!

I’m just about to purchase my first float tube and I’m curious to know if anyone here has ever done float tube fishing in mission Bay Area. Anyone want to float fish?

2. mauserdog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +723
    Misson Bay can hold some good fish in the yacht clubs around the western side. I'd make the extra trek to San Diego bay. Hit me up, lets go fish!

3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,794
    Andy, suggest you hit mariners basin for your first trip. Good spot for a shakedown cruise. Park at mission point..be there early. Short walk flat beach easy launch. Sand flats dropoff eelgrass. Riprap reps and revelations. Kick around between the boats or out to the yellow buoy. Its a no wake zone so few jackhole boaters. If you see an old dude tubing with a fly rod stay away from him.....if theres a single numbskull in a boat anywhere on Mission Bay that guy attracts em like a shrimp buffet draws drunk bridesmaids.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,620
    Name:
    Ray
    Like Mauserdog said, hit SD bay. I worked on NAB Coronado with my office overlooking Glorietta bay and the bridge. I would watch the float tube fleet kill them around the rocks and out towards the bridge.

5. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,784
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    double bass.jpeg Launch at glorietta boat ramp fish towards golf course and boats. have caught fish 10 ft off ramp to other side and I am using a flyrod and flies

6. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,794
    Yep, .Glorietta and Tidelands are also easy launches.
    At Tidelands the current can be tough and you end up spending all your time trying to get somewhere or keep from ending up out in the channel if the the current and wind are going. Between that and figuring out how your boat handles you might not get much fishing done on your maiden voyage.
    Glorietta's as easy to fish as Mariners. I have only fished Glorietta a few times...and have found mariners to be more productive. Also the boat traffic from the ramp at Glorietta was an issue on one visit...the fishiest spot I could find was straight out from the ramp but I couldn't work it; maybe I'm still butthurt.
    I've only been tubing the bays for a year so definitely a rookie. These are my impressions as such.

#6 carpkiller, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  7. acheng1021

Ratings:
    +154
    Thank you everyone for the advice. Once I get the float tube I’ll be sure to post some pics of my catches!!!

8. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,784
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Its my time to pay it forward a member here helped me get started so when your ready let me know and I will help you get started. and if you want to try before you buy I have a spare fishcat 4 and waders and fins. shoe/booty size would be the only issue but that can be worked out. if your size 9-11 in shoes then that's not an issue. I am no float tube guru but I have learned a lot of lessons in the last 8 months that are fresh in my memory. just pm me if you are interested. Mon-Fri mornings are best time to learn due to less boat traffic and easier parking and no wind- Woody

9. acheng1021

Ratings:
    +154
    I appreciate this so much!! As far as the float tube, I’m going to purchase on Wednesday and for fins, I think I’ll use my snorkel ones for now. Waders... not sure of right now but I do love a good soak in the ocean so might just use boardies for now. I will message you when I’m ready to get into the water and try it out though. I’m usually free Mondays, Wednesday’s and Thursdays. I’d hope so something super calm and mellow for my first ride out.

10. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,784
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Your gonna want more than board shorts for at least 2 more months,at least some cheap wetsuit bottoms off ebay

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,148
    Take a moment, sit back and breathe.. you're most likely heading for a little bit of trouble. Each person has different thoughts on gear matters, and gear matters are totally a personal choice, we all get that. But take it from someone who earlier in his float tube career made a lot of expensive mistakes. A thousand or more dollars later and I finally have a clue. The difference between simple snorkel fins and true good float tube fins is incredible.

Fins.. enjoy your first time out with whatever you've got - in your case, your snorkel fins. If they work great for you, that's terrific. But if you've been out for a few hours and you fought the least bit of tidal flow, you're gonna wish you'd had on a pair of fins that were designed specifically for float tubing.

Board shorts are definitely cool. Once the cold chill has worn-off from your legs and bones, consider wearing a pair of waders until the water gets around 65. Just saying. Took me a while to learn my own lesson with water temp wear, so you aren't alone.

There ya go. As Woody said, we're paying it forward. Make your first time so much fun that you'll want to go right back out. But make your second time perfect. Unless you're wealthy, don't go cheap on ANY of your gear - you will ultimately regret every piece of cheap/incorrect equipment that you bought.

#11 Creek, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  12. acheng1021

Ratings:
    +154
    Thanks! I think as of right now I’m going to try it simple and maybe just spend an hour or so on the water and see how it goes. I’m an avid in the water so the cold doesn’t really bother me, but I’m sure my second and third time out there.... Ill be sure to fine tune everything.

Thank you to everyone who responded and gave their help!! Does anyone have any good ideas on a fishing pole/GoPro holder for the tube??

13. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,784
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Lots of good ideas for rod holder/fishfinder/ camera mounts on you tube.if you choose to take me up on my offer I will show you mine and discuss mods that will work for you.

14. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,784
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft