Float Tube Injury / Help ! My tube is broken !

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,412
    Here's a question for all my brother float tubers..

Let me start by telling you after looking at a few options, what angle I believe I will need to take to solve this issue.. I think I'm going to end up taking my float tube to a shoe repair dude that isn't afraid to try the strangest repair he's ever come across. I'll have to remove the inner bladders (easy) and take the whole exterior to the shoe repair shop.

Now for the problem.. Under pressure, the Cordura nylon split/tore away from the fill valve stitching. I know this had everything to do with the heat and sun clarity pounding down on the float tube, as well as me over-filling the thing - like I've been doing lately. The inner bladder is completely UN-affected by the tear. It can still do its job just fine. So the only issue is the separation away from the fill valve.

Anyone else ever have the material tear away from the fill valve? If so, how did you remedy it? Any thoughts on my own plan of attack? Any other possibilities rolling through your heads? I'm open to hear all of them. Here's a pic of the tear..
    4ahLciV.jpg

2. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,553
    If its an Outcast Fish Cat which it looks like I would say pull the bladder and find a shoe repair person who does luggage repair and he should be able to fix you right up. Cost shouldn't be over $25. I surprised the a cover seam didn't go first. Not only heat which causes the air in the bladder to expand but filling up at sea level and then going up in altitude like driving to the mountains will also cause the air in the bladder to do the same thing. Archimedes Principle

#2 weldon, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,412
    Yes, its a FishCat4D.. its definitely the last place I ever thought I'd see a tear or pull-away, but thats what I got. Again, totally my fault for over-inflating then tubing in the suns' full clarity. Strange.. after that weird little episode several months ago where I filled it, got ready to go to launch and saw that I had lost 50% or more of my air in one bladder, I've been intentionally adding an extra pump or two. I dont know.. I'm a safety freak, so I assume that's where my head was.

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,800
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I would burn that edge and leave it. Does not look like something that would spread. Might want to push the bladder in before burning.

5. Austin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +222
    Boat:
    yes
    I have used a large sewing need and 65LB braid to make repairs to my tube. Use the existing pattern on the filler and pull the material up tight.

6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,412
    I like it.. just not convinced that I'm the right guy for the job. But thought about going that way, for sure. I think Im going to make the small investment and have a fearless shoe repair dude do the deed. But your way makes total sense and I can see me doing it.. if I just had a little more trust in myself..

7. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,133
    Boat:
    It floats
    Ive used spectra to sew that stuff before. I am by no means a seamstress lol but if there is a will, there is a way.

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,412
    I get the idea, but Im totally afraid of doing something that cant be undone.

9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,800
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That ship has sailed. Looks like it tore loose from its original mooring which means there is already less material to work with. Sew it again and it will be tighter that it was originally. If you do decide to sew it back the burnt edge will be more stable.

10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,412
    Okay.. copy that. I was just getting ready to email Outcast and ask them their opinion on sewing, gluing and edge burning. I'll let you know what they say.

11. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +510
    Step 1 - rip up old float tube
    Step 2 - ask Outcast how to sew it back together
    Step 3 - now you have 2 float tubes ;-). Well, 3 I guess.

Of course, I joke. Glad they came through. I also share a fear of burning or making holes in things I know I can't otherwise repair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,800
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Did they come through? What did I miss? Guys, the burning is just to stop a nylon edge from further raveling! Same thing you do to the end of a nylon rope!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,871
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Outcast FC4-D Issue Resolved.. UNBELIEVABLE

14. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,412
    So here's an update... I emailed an AIRE/OUTCAST rep last week. He told me they'd cover the busted tube. Seriously? Wasnt even their fault !! Totally mine !! I was blown away. So I had to cut-up the broken float tube into a dozen pieces and submit photos of same for proof (protects them legally in case of a failure and lawsuit attempt after repairs by an unauthorized agent).

So I sent the pics, he sent me a new float tube, and I got it UPS yesterday evening. He sent me the wrong model. I never had to open the box.. its plainly the wrong tube. So he emailed me a return shipping label. I'm going to UPS it back to him tomorrow.. in the meantime, he's already sent the correct float tube model out their door to me via UPS. That's trust. He doesn't know me, yet trusts me enough that I wont accidentally keep the wrong float tube.. I love it.

So that's it. Just waiting for the correct tube to show up on Tuesday, and sending the wrong one back to them tomorrow morning.

15. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,800
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Shame to have to destroy the other tube! Could have been used for years like that. Did you have to destroy perfectly good bladders too?

16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,412
    No sir. He allowed me to keep all the nylon strapping, plastic buckles, zipper pulls, Boston valves and caps, the air and back bladders and both main bladders. Thats easily 100 bucks or better retail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  17. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,800
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Very nice! Evidence of common sense!