*FLOAT TUBE MATES* I NEED A BAG TO CARRY MY GEAR, FINS, WADERS, AND WILL ALSO FIT IN MY TUBE!?!

Discussion in 'Bass' started by DOAKD, Jun 5, 2018.

1. DOAKD

DOAKD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49
    whats up everyone,

just got a float tube for the first time in 8 years and now i have a lot more gear and accessories then i did back in the day . as you guys know, a lot of the SD River you cant just park and launch..... you have to walk. i found myself cluttered and unorganized. i need something that fits good in my float tube while fishing but can also carry my essentials (fins, waders, net, to the water but will also keep everything dry. any suggestions??

also, while im posting something,
    SUGGESTIONS FOR FLOAT TUBE BOOTIES or SOCKS FOR STOCKING WADERS!
    my fins are too small to get shoes into, but i dont want to walk around with the stockings and put holes in them. either im going to get new fins and booties, or find thin booties to go over the stocking but also fit my fins. Thoughts??

thanks for reading and any suggestions help!

2. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,446
    Go to a dive shop and get a full zip mesh duffle bag to carry your waders, fins and booties. For booties check past posts as this has been covered many times in the past.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. mr constricter

mr constricter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69
    While you're at the dive shop grab some booties as well. Or get a dry bag from Wallyworld to keep stuff dry. I have fin leashes on my fins so I just strap them to the very back of my tube where the bladders come together. My net and fishing rods get carried in one hand, my tube with the dry bag and fins strapped to it in the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,297
    Why pay dive shop prices?
    20180609_012237.jpg A big mesh laundry bag with a shoulder strap costs 5 bucks. It'll hold waders and fins. Dry bag? Uh, don't your waders and fins go into the water? :) put your phone and wallet in Ziploc bags in a pocket on the tube. Landing net? Hmmm. Do you really need one in fresh water? If you need a way to hold a big fish while you get the camera out...how about a piece of cord tied to a big metal snap from a chain style stringer? Fits in a shirt pocket.

5. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,274
    Name:
    Ray
    I agree on the mesh bag...the sport is getting more an more expensive so no need to spend where you don't really need to.

On the net, I try to always use one but I fish a lot of baits with treble hooks. The net can save you a panic fin back to the closest bank when a bass pins itself and your bait to your tubes bladder.

6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,541
    This is going to be a lot. Sorry.

When it comes to float tube gear/placement/stowing etc, I'm pretty sure I'm the king of anal-ness and OCD. Really its just over-preparedness on my part. But being over-prepared and having a plan that I can do in my sleep or blindfolded has helped me be able to get on the water 8 minutes after pulling up and parking.

So, I assume you "get ready" at your car/truck or condo/apartment, right? If its your car/truck, how far away are you usually parking and exactly how much stuff are you finding yourself actually "carrying?" I ask because by the time I'm ready to get on the water, I'm my fins are hung around my neck, my flyrod and sonar are in my left hand, and I'm carrying my tube in my right.

I think a lot of this has to do with preparedness (for me, its getting things set the night before - making sure all my stuff is in a plastic tote). After a while, each one of us tends to develop a "system" of sorts that is used - sort of a checklist that's done in order... blow up the boat..add the apron..put on shoes and neoprene socks..hang camera and tools around my neck..put on PFD and hat..lock truck..grab flyrod and sonar and go. Do you have a method to your madness? I'm sure my method does not help you any, but there it is.

This thing you want to "carry your essentials in" - I assume to keep on your boat - seems unnecessary from my view looking in. Fins can hang around your neck as long as they can be held together. Mine "buckle" together," so its easy for me. Yours might not be able to do that, but mine just happen to have safety buckles.

Waders. My question would be, why don't you just wear your waders back to your ride or apartment and remove them there? I get that were approaching summer temperatures and I understand how much heat waders can generate. Cant not wear waders in the SDR for sure... I mean, I wouldn't be caught dead without them if I fished there. Just a thought, I dont know.

Net. Nets (for me) are a useless tool that would just get lost. I understand you SDR guys occasionally tie into large bass and carp, but is a net really necessary? Im asking because I've never used a net myself no matter the size of the fish.

You also said that the goal was to "keep everything dry." Keep what dry? Everything you're taking is eventually gonna get wet (waders, fins, net, etc) , right? It just seems like an awful lot to have going on just to fish. And respectfully, I may be waaaay wrong about that because again, I've never fished the SDR. The only thing I can attest to having is a hard and fast "pre-plan" that I've used every time I've gone out. Takes me 8 minutes (hustling) to fill my boat, put on shoes and neoprene short socks, strap on a PFD, a big floppy hat, throw a camera and nippers/whistle around my neck, grab my boat, fins, fly rod and sonar and get to the water. As a side note, I carry all of my crap (except the boat) in a large orange plastic tote. When I'm done, everything wet goes back into it and gets rinsed off at home - including the tote.

7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,292
    I usually use the strap from one of my fins and thread it through the net and the waders and the handle on my float tube and end it with the other fin...if that makes any sense

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. mr constricter

mr constricter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69
    A dry bag comes in handy when it's cold enough to wear a sweater in the morning, hot enough to take it off mid day, then put it back on for the evening bite. Soggy sweaters in the evening are no fun.

A net is optional. Personally I don't use mine much but use it for larger fish caught on baits with trebles or a bait that is prone to pop loose with a last minute headshake at the tube. It's not the funnest thing yanking the treble of a large glide bait from your hand while in your tube.

Like Creek said. Find a system that is efficient and works for you.

9. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,292
    Walmart has dry bags for 10 bucks in their camping section..I don’t use mine much either except for the layers of clothing mentioned above..personally I think a net is mandatory...I’ve lost some fish of a lifetime trying to lip them at the tube...

10. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,292
    super old post..but in case somebody else is reading this..you don't need wading boots or booties unless youre fly fishing and wading..for walking to a launch spot just use an old pair of shoes...cut the laces out if you want...investing in wading boots in my opinion is pointless for this purpose...

11. B Ruck

B Ruck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44
  12. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,197
    Sounds like you are covered on the other stuff. But these are a must. I have tried all the options and these are the best. Mares Diving Booties 24 bucks. Buy one size bigger. Easy on and off, very comfortable, durable to scale cliffs and last forever.

Screenshot_20190614-185400_Chrome.jpg

13. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,292
  14. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,292
    I’m always against spending money on wading boots but for 24 bucks that’s a good investment..wading boots are typically 2-3 times that price that’s why I’m like f that...haha..but 24 is good..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List