Float tube questions - setup and fins

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by ericedb, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ericedb

ericedb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning to buy a fishcat 4-LCS and I was also planning on buying the turbo thruster fins. Any thoughts on fin choices. I've heard great things about force fins but approx. $200 is not in my fin budget. I'll be wearing stocking-foot waders.

What is the best setup for rod holders on float tubes? It seems like there are at least a couple of manufacturers who have a specific float tube rod holder.

How do you satisfy the 144 square inches of international orange visible at least 12 inches above the water line that is required at city lakes? I know some float tubes have a section of orange but I don't think the fishcat does.

Thanks for the help!

2. bcfish08

bcfish08 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I can't really comment on the fins (I have cheap-o ones myself); however, I can tell you to just go buy an orange t-shirt or tank top (picked up an orange tank at wally world for $5) to satisfy your orange requirement. Pick up two, one your regular size and one a size or two bigger to fit over a sweatshirt.

I think a custom rod-holder setup out of PVC is going to be the best setup. Can customize it to your fishing style and needs.

3. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Like he said,the PVC set up's seem to work the best.Check the fishingnetwork.net site under yaks & tubes.Some of the guys have put up pics of their rigs to get an idea.Some are pretty elaberate with rod holders,fish finders ect. Good luck.

4. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +168
    As far as the orange thing goes, I have thought about a solution for this because my tube, like the Fish Cat, doesn't have any orange on it. What I came up with is kind of a seatcover that fits over the back of my seat. I haven't made it yet, but it will be made of nylon and cover the front of my seat back, go up and over, and come back down the rear of the seat back. There will be velcro straps to secure it along the sides of the seat at the bottom of the seat back. Confusing?

As far as the rodholders, homemade is best. You can customize them to your style of fishing, how many rods you need, other things you'd like it to hold, etc.

And it would be smart to wear something over your stockingfoot waders. Sometimes you need to walk to where you'll be launching your tube, and the last thing you will want is a puncture in your waders.

5. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,393
    get neoprene dive boots to wear over the stocking foots, cheap and comfy. Thruster fins are fine. I have Force and they're great for walking in but in the water, I don't think they perform any better than the $40 Thrusters.

6. ericedb

ericedb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys. There are some pretty sick float tube rigs/setups on fishing network.

7. BassHound

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +245
    I have a nav II. Don't need more than one rod on the tube. I attach a cheap orange life vest on the back of the tube, plus it's there if you need it. I also wear sandles with velcro straps over the waders and slip the fins over the sandles. Been looking to sell my set up tube, waders, fins, shiner bucket. PM me if your interested. I haven't used it since I bought a boat 16 months ago. thinking of trying Barrett one last time with the tube.

8. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +168
    Hmmm, so when they stop hitting the swimbait you throw the dropshot on the same rod ;-)? Just messin' with you Basshound, no disrespect. I rarely bring more than 3, but always have at least 2. The swimbait stick will start getting left at home soon, but it's almost time to load up a reel with PowerPro to throw me some Kermit. That plus at least a regular mono rod, maybe a crankbait rod and/or spinning rod.

It's all good though, as usual it depends on where you fish and what you're fishing for.

9. BassHound

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +245

No disrespect taken. It's just for me no more than one rod on the float tube or ninja fishing. During these times I don't want to be overloaded with too much stuff. Just out having a good time on the water and no pressure of a tourney. Pack some lunch and kick it in the middle of the water or shore line watching nature and enjoying a good ham sandwhich.

10. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,120
    I have a bright red foam PFD strapped on the back rest of my Fish Cat seat. Undo the two back rest straps and it slides right over the B/R. You can get them in red/yellow for about $20 at Sports Authority. I also use the Scotty's adjustable rod holders also at about $20. I have Force Fins and yes they are expensive but to me well worth it as I get no leg cramping and in a high wind they have power to get you back to shore. Weldonk

11. sr20veneovvl

sr20veneovvl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    If you are fishing for crappie in the spawning season two rods is the best. Lots of fun catching the limit. I have two rod holders on my fish cat that I got from sports chalet for $20 each. Also have one made out of pvc pipe strapped behind the seat. As for fins, the best would be the ones with the straps. Easy to wear over shoes. Good luck and be safe.