float tube questions

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by mikecheck1212, Mar 25, 2011.

1. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,724
    ok so im sick of fishing off the rocks and was thinking of getting a float tube...i have no knowledge on the subject and hoped maybe some of you more knowledgable float tubers can help me out...i was thinking about the pontoon ones i have seen online...simply because it looks like you stay dry...no im not afraid to get wet..i just wanted to do some fishing in the san diego river and would like to reduce my risk of rashes and other stuff...also some of them had mounts for a little trolling motor which i thought would be cool too...i would also like to use the tube in the calmer parts of the bay as well...any suggestions on whats good...whats mandatory..what i can do without...and anything else i may need to know before making an investment...thanks in advance...

2. jdogg

jdogg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a float tube for about 5 years now. I don't know much about the pontoon boats other then they are expensive.

In a float tube you do stay dry somewhat if you are wearing chest waders. If you get a float tube look online first then when you buy it try it out in a swimming pool first to see if you will slip out of it or not (it does happen).

You will need chest waders, fins (diving fins work best for me) the float tube, and a life jacket. read up on what you need before you buy. http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreatio ... oats.shtml

The point of having a float tube or pontoon is to be quite so i would not get a trolling motor for it.

Hope that helped and welcome to the forum.

ohh yah idk if its still going on but check this out
    viewtopic.php?f=16&t=104573

and about a week ago i bought some waders form turners for 64 bucks to bad i didn't see the above thread in time

one more thing if you have a motor on your boat at some lakes you will have to pay the launch fee. but not at all lakes

3. Mr.Fin_S

Mr.Fin_S Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Everything ^he said was pretty much the jist of it life vest n wistle I think is very important never know when u might need them. a manual inflatable life vest makes fishing easy n conscious free but really anything will do I have had one close call when my tube suddenly decided it wanted to start leaking luckily the leak wasn't too bad but it could have been worse. Don't let his hinder u from getting a tube tho as Long as u have a vest in the back ur safe.

4. Mr.Fin_S

Ratings:
    +0
    About the pontoon or tube I have both n really I love them equally the same the pontoon is less portable but if u r on a big lake n have a motor it's super fun. The trolling motors are fairly quiet n not loud at all they usually hav enough umph to get u around nearly half a lake or more. if u have fins it's a plus to finely adjusting ur self. Only thing truly is u need a truck to Haul it around unless u want do some major packing/ tying down. The river might be hard to access as well unless u cut a path for it.
    tube is nice if u don't have a truck cuz u can launch anywhere n pick up n go fairly fast (the reason I got one) both are easily modified n fun.

Btw since i got rid of my truck i havent been able to use my toon if ur looking for one I'll be willing to sell mine cheap cuz it really is just sitting here lmk

5. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,724
    thanks...you guys have been helpful...as far as the pontoon you have....shoot me some details....i dont have a truck right now either..but i might be getting a big van soon...but i dont mind having to break it down..its better then nothing...again thanks...

6. sahathep

sahathep Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a used float tube myself this week and I'm kind of apprehensive about using it. I've got neoprene waders life jacket and I bought a new pair of fins. I've heard there is an inherent danger of people slipping out of the u shaped float tubes. Anyone know how common that is? Because I don't knowchow to swim! On more question if I didn't happened to slide out of my tube and landed in the water, would water rush into my waders enough to offset the bouyancy of my lifevest and pulling me down into the water?

7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,724
    thats a good question....

8. jdogg

jdogg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    good question
    my dad made the mistake of buying one and went and used it with out testing it and slipped out it was a u shaped one. me on the other hand have started to slip out of the tube but you notice it before you are completely in the water. its not like you just fall out of the thing. plus even if you cant swim you can hold on to the side of the float tube and kick back to shore. and if all else fails just take the waders off if that much water gets in them but you should have waders that are tight on your body mine is so tight it almost hurts but i like it

9. sahathep

sahathep Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think its possible to get out of waders while in the water because of the water pressure

10. Mr.Fin_S

Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly I would recommend NOT getting out of ur waders while in the water it's highly possible to get tangled in them not to mention they would take on more water if they were partially stuck to u. Use a wader belt it keeps the waders close n prevents water from filling. Neoprene waders should be snug n r probably safer than others but r really hot int the summer. I like breathable ones, these type aren't suppose to be tight but require a bit of room to allow u to move.

About slipping I've never had a problem myself but I have a fish cat tube so don't worry too much just don't get too lazy n jus sit up right. If you don't know how to swim u should be fine as long as u have ur fins vest n wader belt all u have to do is kick n the fins should give u enough umph to stay afloat

11. Mr.Fin_S

Ratings:
    +0
    BTW if any of u guys Wana join I'll be at upper Otay today morn till 1pm(sunday) so if u have any questions feel free to ask I'll be in the blue fish cat tube n rice patty hat.

12. Micropterus salmoides

Micropterus salmoides Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    MikeCheck,
    JDogg seems to be right on the money with his suggestions. I wouldn't worry about falling out of the tube/pontoon, I have been doing both for 10+ years and have never had a situation in which I fell out. I suppose better safe than sorry, but that is the last thing I am thinking about when going out on the water. I will tell you though, if you are thinking about buying a tube or pontoon, DO IT! You will instantly become a better fisherman. Those skunks, 1-2 fish days will be 4, 5-8 fish days. Usually in less time as well. And that goes for all ground pounding shore fisherman.

13. sahathep

sahathep Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know of Siemens good fins I can buy locally? Preferable fins that would go over my wading boot.
    Thanks

14. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,393
    I don't know of any local shops that carry them, but Caddis makes some fins that go around your wade boats. I've seen them online anywhere from 24.99-39.99. They should be very comfortable since your feet are protected by the boats. The diving type fins will be more painful to deal with as the day progresses but they will be much faster when you move. So you might want to think about speed vs. comfort. I decided to go with comfort because achy feet ruin my concentration which leads to a bad outing.

As far as falling out, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you've got your stabilizer bar in tact. I've never fallen out. If anything, make sure you have your rod holders. I've had rods fall into the water when I wasn't paying attention. Luckily it was in shallow water so I was able to get them back every time. You may not be as lucky.

15. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    ol dirty basser wrote a good intro to float tubing article for this site a while back...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sdfish.com/articles/general-fishing-articles/280-float-tubing-basics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sdfish.com/articles/general- ... ing-basics</a>