Float tube questions

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Xolaris, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Xolaris

Xolaris midshipman fisher
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,014
    Hi all, I was wondering how to get started on flost tube fishing in the bay. I need help on what I would need to get started with and the price range. Also recommendations and tips are also useful. Im a newbie when it comes to float tube, any advice would help. Thanks.

2. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +119
    Name:
    Eric
    Float tubes are float tubes. I would certainly suggest a quality pair of fins if you are going to tube the main part of the bay at all. The tide and rip through there can be serious and boaters rarely see us in the water. I'm partial to large spinner baits and 3-4" fish traps with Unibutter slow rolled on the bottom. Bring a plastic bag to put your phone and/or other electronics in. Finding a safe place to launch sometimes is tricky, I always bring a pair of socks to wear over my waders (on the feet) so I don't tear them.

Don't be shy of fishing in-between moored boats, but don't hit them when you cast. There are certainly some crazies that live on them but also quite a few nice ones that will take a picture of you with your fish too. Looking forward to a report!

#2 SSUfish, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  3. chris cox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +365
    First, invest in a quality tube. Fish cat or Cumberland. Dual chambers will give you peace of mind when on the water. Second get stocking foot breathable waders, go a couple sizes bigger than you need.when you sit down if the waders are tight water will go down your back. Third go to a local dive shop, bring the waders with you and get fitted for diving boots and diving fins. The boots are hard soled so you can walk to the lake just fine. Dive fins have a spring loaded strap that is heavy duty, no worries about losing fins. Plus they are easy on/off when launching. Good luck.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. porvida99

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +199
    Check out the float tube forum. @Nute posted a link to Caddis breathable waders. If you go on the Caddis website, there is a sizing chart. I've also heard if you call them, they can help you figure out what size you will need.

As @chris cox said, you want to buy a quality tube from the get-go. If you are looking for a deal, you might be able to cruise Craigslist for used stuff. Check ebay too b/c sometimes you can find deals on the Cumberland. Your budget is really going to be the biggest factor. If money is not a factor, set yourself up with a Castmate system, etc.

5. David Torres

David Torres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +200
    costco.com has the cumberland float tube with fins for $149!

6. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,328
    You can spend anywhere from 150 up for everything you need...the first tube I purchased was 100 used and 50 bucks for some used waders...fins came with the tube...cheapies but good enough..Walmart sells drybags for extra gear and clothes for ten bucks..don't need expensive wading boots unless you're wading...I wear an old pair of addidas and my fins go over em...made a rod holder for a couple bucks...and get a net!..I've used that same cheap azz setup for years and it works...my tube is an odc 420...awesome tube!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List