float tube questions

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Anonymous, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i am looking in to getting a float tube this year but i need some help. where is some good spots around for me to get the hang of it? im not asking anyone to give up there honey holes. i am just looking for some nice spots to learn and get a feel for what im doing.

also any advice on brands and gear would help out alot.

2. DJ Fan

DJ Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can go anywhere almost. I enjoy Miramar, some here go to the river, I have enjoyed the bay....

3. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +169
    DJ Fan is right, there are very few places you can't take your tube. And tubing will get you into a lot of fish you can't reach from shore. As far as brands, most are ok. The only one I have heard consistent negatives about is the Water Skeeter Day Tripper (too high off the water, FLIPS EASILY, gets blown around by wind), but this is just what I've heard and I haven't actually fished from one. Just take care of your gear and it should take care of you.

I love tubing, sometimes more than fishing from a boat. Most lakes allow tubes, the ones that come to mind where you can't are Jennings, Dixon and Poway. You can dump it in ponds, or in the bays.

Just use common sense and start small. In the beginning, try to take it out in places where there is least boat traffic and wind. These two things can be your biggest enemy out there.

And if you're on a budget, watch out for deals. Tube prices can go up and down dramatically depending on if there are sales or not.

Good luck and have fun.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i just started tubing and i juss found the best deal I could. It is a basic tube, but does the job and I was tubing at miramar a couple days ago. I paid like 110 for the tube with a pump and fins. I have not had any problems yet, I was not getting blown around in the wind at miramar that day it got to 10mph wind... I dunno if thats much or not in the tube but I had no problem. I figured get a basic to start because who knows I may not like it. But I love it, and damn it is a work out.

heres the tube deal I got
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_175-5-2

5. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +169
    Here's a tip - right now (no, I'm not affiliated to the company in any way) The Creek Company is having a handful of items on sale for 75% off every Friday. Last Friday, they had pumps for like 10 bucks, fins for 13 bucks, etc. They change the items every week, and it's only good on Fridays. I got the impression that there could be tubes/pontoons on there at some point. It just started, and I don't know how long it's going to last.

Even if you have a tube, you might find a good deal on accessories. I really wanted to pick up a pair of their fins, because I always wanted to try their buckle system. Unfortunately I didn't.

6. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +169
    Oh yeah, it's creekcompany.com.

7. BASSADDICT79

BASSADDICT79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I love float tubeing. I have had my float tube for about a year now. I picked mine up for about $100 on sale. It came with a pump. I had to get the fins separate. I just wish I had more storeage on my tube. Here is a link to the tube that I got. It is the PRO 2000. The one thing that I like about tubeing is you can sneak up on BASS beter.
    http://www.shopoutdoors.com/floattubes.html
    Good luck have fun and be safe.

8. Dan4Fish

Dan4Fish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I love this float tube, its really sturdy like a pontoon, and is really comfy... it costs a little more then the other ones mentioned, but its worth it, Its well made and is easy to put together.

heres the website

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

good luck,
    Dan

9. Mjr. Bendo

Mjr. Bendo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    tubing is def the way to go....if u dont got enough $$ for a pump you can go to home depot and get some plastic tubing that way you can take your float tube to any gas station and fill it for free....

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I myself have decided to take the plunge and start looking at float tubes.

11. sr20veneovvl

sr20veneovvl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    FISHCAT 4 BABY!! THATS THE CAMARO OF FLOAT TUBES. PAINT FLAMES ON THE SIDE AND YOU GOT A HOT ROD TUBE, THE BASS GUYS LOVE IT. LOL

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What are the best type of waders for float tube fishing? i have a pair of thick rubber waders, that i think are better for river wading. Any help is appreciated.

13. ericedb

ericedb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For San Diego, the breathable type are best. Bass Pro Shops has some decent ones on sale right now starting at $49.

14. BossKamiura

BossKamiura Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fish Cat 4 Deluxe?
    What do you guys think about that one?

15. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +169
    The regular Fishcat 4 LCS seems to be one of the most popular tubes right now. The Deluxe just adds an inflatable seat if I'm not mistaken. Probably nice, but also another set of bladders to worry about (and more opportunities for a leak).

16. sr20veneovvl

sr20veneovvl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    RUBBER WADERS SUCK DON'T BUY THAT CRRRRAP, UNLESS YOU WANT TO PASSOUT. LOL! THE LADIES LOVE THEM THOUGH, NICE AND TIGHT.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    got me a creek co. OG U-boat from cabelas a couple years back still floatin' my fat *** around.i've been lookin' at the fishcat for the past year or so hopefully before the end of 'this' summer.waders are a big thing for me,i wish i could afford the ones w/ the zipper fly,drinking beer and floatin' don't mix!i'm up for ideas though.i roll w/ the featherlite models myself.don't get rubberized!sauna!but ya stockingfoot,and get some cheesy wal-mart water shoes a few sizes too big for walkin' around in,and your kickers fit over 'em.you'll figure out what works for you.good luck!late.

18. DJ Fan

DJ Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use neoprene. It works great, and I don't have extra wader getting in the way to hook onto.