Float Tubers

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by snoopie, May 13, 2008.

1. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I just got my tube back from my cousin, I am trying to get out there!! I was thinking the San Diego river, the mission valley parts with the islands in the middle, I want a partner cause I dont wanna go out alone!! So who ever is down!!! Pm Me!!

I work monday-friday 8am-4pm so if your down to get those last hrs in to fish, and friday-saturday 9pm-2am I work my 2nd job so Sunday im free if you wanna get out there also!!!

Also I've heard of some Nice ones comming out of there in the 3Lb+ range! Does anyone 2nd this?

2. steveperry

steveperry Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    All I've ever managed out of MCR is dinks. I have seen some bucket fisherman with 3 pounders. I once stumbled upon a dead one near the bank that probably would have weighed 'bout 4-5 lbs. I'm sure they're there. Good luck.

3. RaPoHo

RaPoHo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a nice tube I have been dying to use but no waders. I have only used it in the colorado river where I don't use waders. I have looked but I keep finding waders that seems to be for standing rather than tubing.

I was hoping for suggestions. If I can get a good set up I would be up for going.

4. bassmasterflash

bassmasterflash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Boat:
    kau lana 2
    i just got a tube, so far ive used it at mcr twice, got 5 dinks the last time, i'm down to explore the river, my only day is sunday mornings or monday evening sesh.

5. AWilliams

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +255
    RaPoHo,
    Get some liteweight stockingfoot breathable waders from Cabelas or BPS. Buy the best you can like some Simms. Then buy some watersocks a few sizes too big too slip over the stockingfoot. That will keep the foot from getting holes in the bottom of the waders and make your fins a little more comfortable.

Snoopie,
    Seeing as the weather is supposed to be getting HOT this Saturday I may be getting out to MCR on Sunday. Depends on the weather though. When I go, I go early. I like to be in the water by daylight. BTW.....going by yourself really isn't a big deal. No one will bother you. I've been there over 30x and the only thing ever happened was I had an old man yelling at me to get out of the water because I was breaking the law. As long as you have your state license, you can fish there.

As far as there being big bass in MCR...absolutely. Last Saturday I had 6 fish go about 1.5-2 lbs. 1 went 3.5 and 1 went close to 5 lbs. My biggest bass EVER went a touch under 9 lbs.

6. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +169
    Waders for "standing up" (chest waders) are what you will want to use in a tube. In most tubes you will be wet up to your crotch or stomach and the extra few inches of coverage are nice insurance to keep you dry. I'm all about breathable waders if you can get them, otherwise neoprene is OK too.

Technically you don't need waders in the SD river either. But that water's pretty nasty, I wouldn't wanna touch it with anything other than my hands.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey AW, what do you mostly use at MCR? I've caught most of mine out of there on t-rigged brush hogs.

8. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Bassmasterflash, I sent you a PM..

AWilliams, I wanna have a sesh with you to explore the river, seen you have been there quite a few times, Im just trying to get the feel of it, before I do try and go out there alone.. But the thing about fishing alone is when I get one, Its more exciting have someone there to witness it.. If you know what I mean..

Do you guys bring one pole with you? I was thinking about bringing 1 spinning and 1 baitcaster.. My tube has a rod holder for 1 So i was thinking of just puting the 2nd in the holder haha..

On the size fish, I know there has to be big ones!! Shoot I`ll bring some shiners to rig up while im fishing plastics haha

9. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
  10. AWilliams

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +255
    Snoopie,

Yeah, no worries about hooking up at MCR. I'm down for it. I could probably do Sunday if you want. This is the PFD I use and have never been hassled from DFG.
    http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sm3020.html

I always bring 2 rods with me. A 6'10" MH spooled with 12# for flipping plastics into the tullie pockets and draggin worms. And I bring a 6'6" M spooled with 10# for throwing soft jerkbaits, floating rapalas, crankbaits and spinnerbaits up to 3/8th oz.

Frank4747,
    I"m flipping the tullie line with a variety of plastics that range from 6" black curltail worms, to flylined Senkos, to Ikas, to 1/4oz black/blue jigs w/ plastic craw trailer. I'll fish those probably 90% of the time I'm at MCR. The other 10% is spinnerbaits, crankbaits and jerkbaits. Never used a brushog.

11. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Does DFG Ever bother you at MCR?
    Im down man!! I just ordered the caddis navigator 2, Is that a good tube?

My other one my cousin took it again!

That floating device is dope! I wish I could afford it.

12. steveperry

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't use a PFD if its not required. I guess its never a bad idea though. Waders are not required in the river, but I don't think that bodily contact with the water in the river is a good idea. There is tons of urban run off (motor oil, coolant, and jerk offs dumping their RV black water tanks in the gutters). There are also high nitrate levels (ie. poo) in the river, along with the intestinal parasite Giardia (found in poo, transmitted by poo, and most often picked up from poo contaminated water). Is it safe to fish? You bet. Just be careful. Don't bite your line (a bad habit that I had to break), you don't want anything in you mouth. A small pair of nail clippers around you neck work great. Wash up when you get home. I have been fishing the MCR/River area weekly for years and have yet to get sick.

Heres what I take with me:
    6 foot medium rod w/baitcaster- for cranks, jigs, spinnerbaits etc.
    5 foot ultra lite spinning combo- for dead sticking plastics.

My go to baits for the river is 4 inch and 7 inch robos in Aarons magic, dead sticked or d-shotted. I also love the River2Sea Super Yabby Craw.

13. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Any one own the caddis navigator 2?

If so can you give me a short review on it,
    I was thinking about going out to MCR with some shiners also.. Just for back up. Does anyone ever fish there and there line turns brown? I remember seeing all my line on my spool turn brown after a couple casts, it was real nasty.

Whats some good techniques also.. For mcr.?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Never had my line turn brown. I don't think shiners are needed there though, plastics will get'em pretty good.

15. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well Im about to pick up this baitcaster from one of the members here "neptune1" and I just ordered by stocking foot waders for 67 bucks. So when the waders come in, I wanna have a morning sesh with some of you folks!!

So PM and Lets schedule!!!

16. AWilliams

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +255
    PM me anytime Snoopie. I'm usually good for 2-3 trips a month to MCR.
    Yeah, I've really never had a problem with brown line but as others have posted earlier you really need to remember what your doing during your day like not biting your line, keeping your hands away from your mouth, eyes. Just precautions that's all.

17. James

James New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yo - steveperry, some good info there on the health issues. Are you related to Mike Rowe, by chance? Christ, if I saw someone dumping their RV blackwater/graywater in a storm drain by MCR or anywhere else (Christmas Vacation comes to mind!), I'd lose it. I own an RV and can't imagine doing something like that - then again, I always revel at the filth left behind at regular RV dump stations.

Is the water quality as much of a concern to you when fishing the santee/lakeside sections of the River? I know OMP is pretty gross; lots of homeless living and wading in/around that pond. But the other ponds, further east/northeast seem to be much cleaner. Just curious what your and others' experiences have been up there.

If anyone is interested in tubing those or other ponds, send me a PM and we'll set a time to hit it. I prefer fishing during the week.

18. snoopie

snoopie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The Lakeside area water is clean!! Its not that bad at all

19. AWilliams

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +255
    Snoopie
    Probably going tomorrow EARLY for a little sesh. Most likely get out by 11:00....gonna be hot. You down???

20. steveperry

Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't call the river near Lakeside clean. Maybe less polluted. MCR is near the end of the line, therefore is the end of the line for all the "nasties" in the water. I see the guys at RCP with no waders and haven't heard anything about about parasites or mutations. To each their own.