Fluid Bed

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by mick, Nov 7, 2019.

1. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +225
    It's been a while since I've posted. I took a some time off to take care of family and made the mistake of letting my boat sit for almost 5 years. Don't ever do that. A couple of big checks later and I'm finally back on the water. Now it's time to make some baits.

Half the fun of making your own baits is all the crazy contraptions you get to dream up. Like many people, I used powder paint for my jig heads. I would take the top off the jar and dip the head directly into the paint jar. It worked Okay and I was satisfied for a while. A few drips and plugged hook eyes later, I started looking for a better way. I stumbled on the idea of a fluid bed while doing some online research. It didn't dream it up, I just liked the idea and went on to make my own.

A fluid bed is a way of aerating the paint. It makes it light and fluffy and when you dip you feel no resistance. The result is an even coat that uses less paint with fewer runs and sags. You can buy them commercially but that’s no fun. Let’s make one. Here is my setup.

I started with a cheap aquarium pump from Walmart. A trip to Home Depot for a few fittings and I was in business. There is a filter between the cup fitting and the base. I tested several materials. Notebook paper, coffee filters, paper bags and a roll of brown wrapping paper I had from the old parcel post days (the older members of the forum know what I mean). The old roll of brown paper worked best. You just dump in the whole jar of paint and plug it in. The aerated effect makes the powder paint look like water. It's a cool effect. Hence the name Fluid Bed. Here are some pics.

IMG_2338.JPG IMG_2339.JPG IMG_2340.JPG
    You can see the brown paper filter in the bottom of the cup. Experiment to see what material works best with your aquarium pump.

IMG_2341.JPG IMG_2342.JPG IMG_2343.JPG IMG_2350.JPG
    I use a heat gun to heat the head before I dip

IMG_2351.JPG
    First coat goes on thin. I give it a quick second heat and dip twice. Then heat and put into the oven for a bake.

IMG_2352.JPG

Go get em.

mick

#1 mick, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf