Fly fishin the IV

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by flyfishinsteve64, Oct 10, 2019.

1. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Got an invite to fish with Tomaso and his good friend Kelly out in the imperial valley. I jumped on the invitation. Spend two days fishin hard in some near perfect weather. It’s was a little warm maybe 102 but the mornings are starting to cool down nice in the 60’s. I really enjoy fishin with Tom he’s so cool and level headed. He never seems to get upset when things don’t go well. He’ll just light another cigar and keep plugging along and always puts up good numbers of fish.
    Once again on this trip he was the hot stick. Probably catching more fish than me and Kelly combined. He’s one of those guys that will share all his knowledge if you ask. He never holds back info it seems. I appreciate that as I feel I try to be the same way. Sure makes for some good fishin when you work together. That’s the main reason I like to fish with others to come up with what’s working so we all can catch fish.

So the fishin, we fished the East highLine Canal near El Centro and after a slow start on the first day we started getting into the fish. Nothin big but some decent numbers. It’s was fun and I learned a lot. I ended up with 19 fish for about 7-8 hours of fishin. 16 smallmouth, 2 largemouth and 1 bluegill. Nothing over 12-13 inches.
    The second day 2 smallmouth and 1 bluegill for another 7-8 hours fishin. Quite a bit tougher but none of us gave up and just kept working hard. Kelly and Tom are true gentlemen. After a hards days fishin on the second day I was invited to join Tom and Kelly for dinner at Sobe’s a Mexican restaurant in the valley. I had the honor to meet another Legend in the fishing industry. Mr. Al Kalin of Kalin’s plastic’s. I really enjoyed listening and talking with Al. He’s has so much knowledge and some great stories as well. He gave me his book and I’m looking forward to reading it, thanks Magombo. Hopefully we will meet up again and have a little more time with him as our dinner just seemed to go bye so fast as all three of us had so many questions and were so interested in his tales. Thanks again Al.

So that’s it in a nutshell as I sit here in my river house with the wind raising hell out side. No fishin for me today. Good thing cuz I need the rest after trying to keep up with those two gentlemen that are a few years Senior to me. I will leave you with a couple of colors that worked well for us at the canal. Chartreuse and white and red. I went though all my white and red flies on this trip so I’m tying a bunch more in the next couple days. Internet service isn’t great out here so it may take some time.
    Steve

#1 flyfishinsteve64, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  2. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    49631F45-5DAF-4F08-83D5-97653C1869CE.jpeg 3BFA2402-E65E-4F2B-AAF0-C25FB1D85839.jpeg Couple of pictures of what you have to deal with a far as brush. These are the prime spots. Few weeds.

3. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    8A9667B7-8EED-4975-B58E-FD4F0A5378C3.jpeg 954BA5B2-C7FC-4945-86DE-EE3BE6B4F866.jpeg 185450C1-2908-403B-ADB4-738D909C094F.jpeg DE2CEFD7-0295-483C-A47D-42B835534098.jpeg
    I try to keep my flies simple but if I keep getting out fished I may have to step up my fly tying game. This isn’t what I was throwing the last couple days but these will work great. Not that I’m trying to conceal what I was throwing it’s just every time I get on the vise I have new ideas

4. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    BC848803-A66E-48EF-A6B2-2E47AADB979B.jpeg Wyatt hanging out waiting to play ball. Sorry buddy it’s fishin time.

5. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,072
    Definitely a fun trip! We spent as much time laughing as we did fishing! Saw a lot of fish in the water, had plenty of follow ups, All in all, it was enough action to keep us entertained. I must admit, however, that it felt pretty good to quit a couple hours early on Wednesday and lounge around in the shade at Barbara Worth reducing the IV beer population.

We were usually scattered along the shoreline, so didn't get to see a lot of fish catching (heard the hooting and hollering, though). I managed to get one largemouth about 14-15" (the only largemouth I caught), maybe a half dozen smallmouth in the 10-12" range, lots of smaller ones. Even roll-casted one that hit just as my fly was leaving the water on the back-cast (bass don't roll cast too well, by the way). Highlight of excitement for me was when I was dropping a jig fly straight down off one of the drops at the east highline, got hammered by something that took off into the whitwater. Big Bendo! I yelled at Steve just to get his attention, he immediately ran to his van for a long handled net. I was hoping for a big smallie, ended up with this:
    Catfish.jpg
    Pulling an angry catfish out of raging whitewater after they've ripped half my line downstream was no simple task. I never would have landed it without Steve's quick reaction. Where I was standing was about 10' above the water with a vertical drop over a rail, don't think my jigfly hook could have stood the strain if I'd had to lift it. Gracias, amigo.

Only took one picture, and it would have been good if my timing had been better. Planned a "man and his dog" picture while Steve was executing these long casts early the first morning, but waited a bit too long. I think Wyatt was interested in the fly ;-).
    Wyatt_Steve.jpg
    Not the greatest composition, but you can see what the terrain looks like.

Kelly and I fished the Central Main this morning before the wind got too high to get our lines in the water. Did better than usual there, each of us getting 6-7 smallies before 10 am. Fought the Wind across the desert, made it back in one piece (which we've failed to do at least once). Fishing, cigars, libations, and dinner with Mogombo. Can't beat it!

6. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,466
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    That's sounds like a great trip for 3 old lions ! It looks it is a fun trip!! Thanks for the great write up!

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,456
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Hell yeah, IV magic right there.. I know all too well the wonders of the hard fighting cats and carp out there...

8. Joel

Joel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Looks like a great trip! Hope to get out that way myself. Sooner rather than later.

9. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,206
    Man that's so cool! So, can you just camp right out there along those roads?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,456
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Within reason... Don't get in anyone's way and keep it clean...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,989
    I pretty much pulled in as you guys were pulling out. I got there Thursday at Noon. Had a 4 day alone trip planned. Started in Calexico, mostly because I didn't want to fish you guys used water. Found rare and desired conditions and eyeballed plenty of nice bass. Fished the first afternoon till dark then ate dinner and went to bed. Slept 12 hours. Spent all the next day chasing fatties long into the night. Got to meet Mogambo as well. Your book is excellent Sir! Woke up at sunrise the 3rd day and chased em again. No love.

After breakfast it was time to move to toward the Holtville area. It was then I discovered I had an electrical problem and had a dead camper battery and a dead truck battery. Good thing I'm super smart and carry a spare battery with me......also dead. Long story short, got jumped twice and went home early.

Fishing results were pretty slow, probably mostly because I was targeting specific fish. I usually save the "fun" fishing for last, but never got to it.

Got one nice lmb on the spinnerbait. Some pics;

The Calexico walking kit.
    12wt, 650gr, 10lb test. 4" fly
    9wt, 400gr, 8lb test. 3" fly
    6wt, 300gr, 6lb test. 2" fly

020.JPG 034.JPG 064.JPG pppo.png

12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,456
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Just got back a few hours again from my own run (short), seven species, most all on bait. I don't have the patience to do what you do, Fishtricks , well done

13. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,072
    Wow! Good story and nice fish!! You always seem to pull a good one out somehow! We didn't get anything close to that...

BTW: Sweet looking bluegill fly!

14. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,989
    I got the fly at a fly shop in Phoenix.

I think I got the craws there too or BPS in Rancho Kookamongus.

Werfless, its not necessarily a good thing(only when it pays off) I saw a few nice bass and I was stuck in the same area for 2 days. Never moved my truck. Its very difficult for me to leave nice fish without having caught them. The worst part was, I've been on a megaroll with the nice lmb here at home. I don't need to drive 120 miles catch a 5lb largemouth. I go to the canals mainly for the smallmouth and I spent most of my time on one 6lb lmb. She bit once, but I missed her. Now the trip is over and I didn't get to bust out my smally tricks.

#14 Fishtricks, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  15. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Maybe if that bluegill fly didn’t have a smile on it, it would catch more big fish. :)

16. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I could see spending time targeting individual fish. If that’s what you have to do to catch bigger fish. Catching 50 tiny fish is getting old.

17. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,197
    You could throw bigger flies like the swimbait guys do.

Here's a conversation between a fly angler and trophy bass angler. Ep. 137: Oliver Ngy on Catching Big Fish

18. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,294
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    That was a great interview Johnathan. Thanks Love April much respect and she’s gorgeous. I would have to say I know 90+ percent of what Oliver said. I prefer numbers of fish over size in most cases. That being said i don’t want to catch peanuts but what the peanuts are attracted to so will the larger fish. I am currently in the pre process of tying some really big flies with the same colors I have been successful with lately. I say pre process because I bought the materials but haven’t sat down to tie them yet. Now keep In mind I grew up fishin Sweetwater reservoir and Barrett lake. I fished each one of those lakes for over 30 years. You didn’t have to be good to catch fish in those places but I learned a lot. Now I fish bass in the river from a boat. Totally different from shore. So much to learn. Fishing in a river or a canal is totally different. In the last two years I have learned so much. I am now entering into the make adjustments phase. So currently I’m doing that and in time I will be catching bigger fish but if their not biting I’m not afraid to go catch bluegill. I will just scale down. Now that I have the time I’m confident that if my health holds up I will have this place dialed in a few years and many other places as well. Good for all of you because I love to teach and share.
    Thanks for the heads up Johnathan
    We need to fish together. I’m sure I could learn some things from you. That’s why like fishin with others because I can learn so much more having to people working together and sharing knowledge.
    Cool time to get back to cleaning so I can fish again.
    Steve

19. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,197

Yeah man! I appreciate all that you do and share. I get to live vicariously through you and this forum while I change diapers. I need to carve out a day to fish the IV and hope we can meet up there. Hopefully Ryan will be on 2 legs and can join.