food for thought

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by scisports, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,426
    I know this wasn't directed at me, but it helps a great deal. Okay so, "Frog." Good to know ! Instead of "Rana do you want us to call you "Frog" instead (kinda like the character Sally Field played in the insanely funny Burt Reynolds movie, Smokey and The Bandit)? Her "handle" was "Frog." It was a fantastic movie. Jackie Gleason's sumbitch, the stuttering of Jerry Reed, Pat McCormick and his elf look-alike etc.. just an all-star cast. I guess it was just a smidgen before your time. But ya, "Frog" is awesome ! I like it !

2. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475

"I guess it was just a smidgen before your time. But ya, "Frog" is awesome ! I like it !"

Glad you like it Jarhead. The beach is clear, you may now go ashore...

upload_2018-5-25_17-39-55.png

T - 12 B - 4 Chief P.J. McNally

3. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,859
    Name:
    Larry M
    So are you saying that you were an UDT member before there were SEALS?

4. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475

They mustered me out of a bed at Balboa on a Saturday, Dec 62.

A J.G. from Admin and my Chief were there. Told the J.G. to go F'ck himself and he got all worked up until he was told by P.J. that he couldn't do chit. I was no longer in the service.

Paul and I caught the ferry and went back to the Tradewinds and got drunk.

A good time was had by all.

5. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,859
    Name:
    Larry M
    You were discharged in 62 and I joined in 63.

6. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Trump’s Racist Attacks Have a Deeper Meaning: The Ultimate Goal is Not NFL Players But Crushing All Dissent

7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,426
    God I love Trump.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,426
    I'm impressed !! Holy smokes ! Jarhead is pretty darn funny too. I'm gonna use that.

9. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,859
    Name:
    Larry M
  10. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,859
    Name:
    Larry M
    Here's an article about the founder of Solon News. Let's all go to the go fund me site. I believe all of the liberals here should support him. Poor guy.

Screenshot_2018-05-25-20-55-01-1.png

Screenshot_2018-05-25-20-55-43-1.png

Screenshot_2018-05-25-20-53-18-1.png

Ok update. I don't know if there are two people with the same name so too be fair I found this.

Screenshot_2018-05-25-22-01-15-1.png

#130 Larry M, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  11. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475

uummm, did ya actually READ the article Larry or did you just want to kill the messenger?

12. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,859
    Name:
    Larry M
    Yes I did read the whole article. Just a bunch of liberal BS from a progressive journalist and a left wing website.
    If I posted an article from a right wing website would you read it and agree with it. Like I said, I don't know you but I bet that you wouldn't have a positive comment about it. Just saying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,859
    Name:
    Larry M
    Why wasn't this included in the article that you posted? Was it left out because it didn't fit your's or their's agenda?

Screenshot_2018-05-25-21-31-13-1.png

14. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,426
    God, I still love Trump.

15. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,463
    Name:
    Kenny
    Thank you for your service.

16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,426
    This thread (and others like it - the political ones I guess you could say) truly show how the Libs just can't let go. Even some of the Lib media is finally seeing that as an issue and calling for for others in their camp to just stop all the bellyaching and let him (Trump) do the job he was hired to do.

All I know is, my retirement accounts have never seen this kind of increase before. My investment numbers are off the charts. Obama did me no favors whatsoever. My money was all over the place with him - losing, small gains, more losses. Entitlement programs that should never have been implemented didn't help either. Just couldn't say that publicly at the time because the sensibilities of others would have been dramatically impaired beyond belief.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  17. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,242
    Except that little pesky second amendment. We should ban social media, the mainstream media, and see if that helps. Maybe we can ban trench coats. Heck if we ban schools we can guarantee we will never have another school shooting. If the second amendment is not guaranteed then neither is the first or any other rights.

#137 Medicated fisherman, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  18. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,426
    And now I love Trump even more !

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,242
    Rana, what boats did you work on. When did you work, out here?

20. rana

rana Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    I really should do a treatise on the San Diego Sportfishing industry as I lived it during San Diego sportfishing's rise from a smallish operation to being the most modern and well-run sportfishing fleet in the world.

Basically I grew-up in the industry. Bill Hoss, Howard Minor, Barney Miller, and several other "M's" started H&M. One of the "M's" was my family.

Although most of my historical information was lost in the 'devastation' I do have a San Diego Union clipping of me at four years old catching bunches of mackerel on a handline. The article mentions that I have not yet learned the way's of a reel. That photo was taken, as I recall, at the cannery outflow in the commercial basin off what is now Shelter Island.

I have a few others including a large 'scooter', barracuda, that won the kid's fishing tournament when I was eight. That was the same year that I caught my first Marlin also, off the sportboat "Smokey stover."

Shot my first deer at nine years of age in Murphy Canyon across from where the Wal-mart complex is. San Diego was a great place then. Mission Valley was all dairy farms and the undeveloped part of the valley was still in it's primitive state. Met Josie (Josephine) Scripps, the 'Black Sheep' of the Scripps family while digging Indian artifacts on her ranch. We liked each other and she piqued my interest in 'rockhounding' and we had a great time together. She once said to a friend that she liked to have me with her when exploring because "Kid's pick up everything." Fun times...

But, I am wandering. I will try and get time to tell you about the sports during the time that I was involved in the industry but for now, the boats worked? Almost all of H&M's and many of Point Loma's (Olde Ironsides, Betty Lou,...) there was no Fisherman's Landing then. It took over the restaurant/bar space that was there. Lot's of tales from there also. That building and the Marlin Inn, which is now a best Western or some chain organization across the street were discarded WWII wave barracks that were floated across the bay and installed there. The war brought many great and innovative changes to help grow the fleet, including new 6-71 Detroits to convert the gas boats with. Surplus, it 'made' the modern fleet.

The LO-AN was my uncle's boat and he later had the NEW LO-AN built. The boat name came from the fact that he had to get a LOAN to build her, something he hated to do.