? for the frog guys

Discussion in 'Bass' started by mychael, Jun 7, 2019.

1. mychael

mychael Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Just gittin into throwing a frog around and I have a ? bout a rod... Because of bad knees I have to sit up front instead of stand. That doesn't leave me a lot of room for an underhand pitch type cast so Im using an under hand roll cast. The rod needs to be a little shorter ( maybe 7' , no longer ) OK that said Im lookin at a 7' heavy line weight 12 to 20 and bait weight of 3/16 to 3/4 oz... The light weight of the bait limits suggest a softer tip that might load up enough that its not a broom stick and would bomb a cast when needed... 2 The guys on here that understand the frog world would you give me your opinion on this stick... or other suggestions for that matter thanks boys

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,978
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I agree with your assessment. You need some backbone to get them out of the slop, and enough tip to cast.

3. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,188
    So fly fishing? If so, I've got just the guy... Winstondry

4. sam zepeda

sam zepeda Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Name:
    sam
    You need a heavier rod like the Dobyns 735 or 736 which are 7’3 in length and if you think they are to long then the 705 which is a 7’ will work fine hope this helps.

5. Winstondry

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +718
    Boat:
    Ranger Z520L
    I think the mention of a roll cast made you think of casting a flyrod.

Like Sam said, go to a 7' rod but you'll still want to stay with at least a 4 power. A 4 power will allow you to load the bait better but you'll want to go up if you're fishing the slop.

6. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,129
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Just get a high quality brand 7ft med/hvy rod. Put high speed reel 7:0-8:0 and 50 braid. The tip will help you big time yet it will have serious back bone. I have been using Med/Hvy rods for frogs forever. Also Been watching lots of the pro lately dropping to 7ft rods frogging. They say they can pickup line faster than having the 7’6-8’0 rods. That would help you , Especially if sitting down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,495
    I really like the dobyns 735c for frogs. The older gray champion rods had an awesome tip. Very soft and slightly parabolic but powerful. The new black and blue champions seem to be a little faster.

But anyway, maybe you’d want to look at one of the 7’ dobyns models. Either in a 4 or 5 power.