Forum noob with questions and praise!

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by LuckyLuke, Apr 28, 2017.

1. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hey everyone,

Originally from NJ, I've been in SD for two years now and have had great trips on some 1/2 and 3/4 day boats to get the feel of West coast fishing. I have recently been giving Mission bay a try with the helpful tips I have read on here and have been catching 10+ spotties every trip, so thank you all for that.. Most recently, had what seemed to be a large corvina spit out the hook next to my raft which was exciting. It seems that halibut fishing out here is a little more complex than jigging a bucktail for flounder on the east coast. I have seen a few legals being pulled in so I know where to start, but I am curious to what setup to use. I see that drop shots work well and I prefer to use artificial for convenience. I have quite a few rods, so should I use a separate setup than my light / medium action 10lb with baitcaster? What size/type hook should I use? I appreciate all of the advice so far and if you see a tall guy in a gray raft putting around, I usually have some spare cold ones. Cheers!

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,762
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Three way trap hook rig with a live smelt, lizardfish, mack, sardine or anchovy on the long side was my go to back when I used to target them.. Used to hang some fatties, so I preferred line over 40 for my standing and bait line, 20 to 30 for the weight .. Lots of good ways to go about it.. Used to use a chain drag also, it works if you only want big uns..

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Cyborgstarfish

Cyborgstarfish Catcherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,662
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    What was your favorite way to tie a trap hook rig? I lost some big ones on big mackerel because I had no trap hook. I would get my mackerel back with rake marks all the way to the head.

I was thinking I should have a line going to a 3/0-6/0 live bait hook and then tie a separate line on to the eye of the hook with about 5-6in of line to a treble hook with either one of the treble hook in its side or a rubber band holding the treble against its side.
    Also I lost a nice size shark. Because it chewed through 40lb mono. I was thinking when I'm using the bigger size live mackerel I should use steel leader first big hook and mono on the stinger hook. I don't want a anymore heart breaks!

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,762
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    For shark, I would put a circle in the nose with a swing (4x treble?) hook wired behind if wire leader, stitch type rigs (dead bait status), etc won't get bit or survive the sharp end of the stick. My thinking behind this, is if the circle gets a good bite, it should hit the corner of the sharks jaw, with lower probability of bite off.. If it slips or crosses over, swing hook could grab almost anywhere good .. I do prefer swing hooks (note, NOT IGFA LEGAL) with really large live baits over a trap hook, as the bait will generally orient underneath the bait as it is dragged/ swims along.. Anything there you can use @Cyborgstarfish ?

5. Cyborgstarfish

Cyborgstarfish Catcherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,662
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    I'm not a fan of circle hooks. I was thinking more for big Hali's I was just saying I lost a shark and was wondering if the halibut would care if there was a steel leader.

6. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,618
    For artificial, Drop shot.
    5/0 ewg on 5" to 6" white or baitfish colored flukes, 1/2oz to 1oz weight. 15# fluro.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,762
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Well, @Cyborgstarfish , it seems to me that halis are much more picky about the presentation than most fish (and pekple I know).. Guess if I had 60,000 worm infested smelt swimming by me each day, I would be picky too...

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Jiminsandiego

Jiminsandiego Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47
    One thing that I have learned (the hard way) about halibut is they have a habit of playing possum. Just when you think they're spent and ready for the net, they give one last very hard run. Now I loosen the drag toward the end of the fight. Smart little *******s they are.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  9. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you, everyone!

10. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,784
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    They're not ambush predators, so more often than not, they aren't going to bite something until it hits them in the face, then they follow it to your feet and maybe bite the tail of whatever you're throwing to piss you off a bit.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,056
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Remember the PS don't take this seriously lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,408
    So the halis that chomp down on my plain lead torpedo sinker and bite off the line, while ignoring the 6" shad bouncing along 12 inches higher....? ;-)

edit: I guess they knew the torpedo didn't have worms....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,011
    Halibut respond to disturbance. They lay on the bottom and wait to ambush anything that goes by. They are not picky but need to be woke up every now and then. That is why a bounce ball, drop shot or any rig that turns up the bottom gets bit pretty well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. JeremyFWright

JeremyFWright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Additionally, if you want a bit more of a challege (and in my opinion a more fun way to catch them) try jerkbaits on the sandly flats or anything with a blade (warblade or underspin) fished on the bottom enough to get the blade turning!