FREE Diving questions for lobsters

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by azznndude, Oct 4, 2009.

1. azznndude

azznndude Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When free diving for lobsters do you have to be certified of some sort to free dive off from the beach to catch some BUGS. Additionally is it even legal to dive/launch from the beach to catch some bugs. Free diving seems like like a better way then hoop netting to get some LOBSTAAASS. My diving/ swimming ability is pretty good me and my buddy are both water polo players.

-i got a fishing license
    -measuring thingy
    -report card
    -fins and snorkal

Do i need anything else?

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    There is no certification for it. It is a lot harder than you would think though, even being very strong swimmers. You must be able to hold your breath for long periods of time to be able to descend deep enough, locate lobsters in the dark, and then grab them without going back up for air. Its tough.

La Jolla is popular, but it gets deep quick so that makes it difficult. You may want a dive wetsuit, water temps are chilly especially down well below the surface.

Areas within the bay along jetties are easier for people who aren't experienced free divers. They'll typically be in shallower water with less surges around within the bays.

As for it being legal, it is... but be aware of the marine preserve in La Jolla which is off limits. It is shown on our saltwater map if you need to figure out exactly where the boundaries are for that.

3. m1k3midg3

m1k3midg3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    went today to try to free dive for them and wasnt able to. freakin crazy swell. like the devil was having an orgasm on the sea floor and the waves were a result of that. i started throwing up over the side of my kayak cause of how freaked out i was

4. hanginten

hanginten Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Find a comfortable frame less mask or you will end up with suck face.Also you can get lobster during the day its a lot easier .Just find some shallow reef or eel grass and go hunting.Good luck !

5. azznndude

azznndude Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First time im gonna go with my friend during the day to scout out the area to find any rocky areas then going RAMBO on the WATER at night. Also is it legal to free dive in the SD bay or is it strictly jetty areas/ ocean areas?

6. ljfish

ljfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    manim sorry but thats f*****g hilarious and you might not wanna dive in lj during south swells espescially on kayaks sorry but thats very funny

7. HobieTom

HobieTom Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I started kayak fishing LJ 8 years ago and threw up a lot at first. You can get over it. Just keep going and you'll get over it. There are other Beaches that don't have Marine preserves that you don't have to go so far out at too.