Free Fishing Spots?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by JohnnyK, Mar 26, 2010.

1. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know any great fishing spots where I don't have to pay 8 dollars for a permit plus parking? I'm broke.

2. bassmaster20

bassmaster20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    San diego bay

3. BassHound

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +245
    Loveland in Alpine

San Diego river

4. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,977
    All the places I know take too much driving to get to them. LOL!

Or walking, as in the case of Lake Ramona.

5. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Talking about freshwater places here. Loveland sounds pretty far, that's basically like paying gas as a replacement for a permit haha. Yeah I go to SD river a lot, it's not that great. I don't know where to fish around there, I always go to the area by BestBuy and fish on the rocks.

Fishinggod22 told me about Lake Ramona. I would go, but I'm not willing to walk. If someone carries me there I'm down to go, though the thing is, I always bring my girlfriend and sometimes my dog.

6. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +867
    Boat:
    My buddies
    If you have a float tube or can borrow one the SD river by mission center road is actually pretty good

7. drummerboy

drummerboy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, bud, I've never seen a more expensive place to fish in my life!

8. fishdreams

fishdreams New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I know this is no help to you but being from the Imperial valley, I know what you mean. Down there, in the desert, you are surrounded by water - all of which are loaded with fish!!! the canals, both dirt and cement are full of fish - no charge! The IID immpoundments are full of fish - no charge! the Colorado river is full of fish - no charge! I once had to jump into the DFG's Ramer lake to retrieve my pole after tossing out a palm sized blue gill I was using for bait. Something ripped it right out of the pole holder and stripped off all the line, and this did not cost a dime! But of course we are not in the valley and it's free fishing. There seems to be little free or low cost fishing opportunities here in S.D. but the lakes are beautiful and seem to be managed quite well so I guess eight bucks is a bargain, unless, of course, you don't have eight bucks. So I guess I'm no help at all and I'll shut up now...

9. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,419
    I smell Smoke from the Flames!LOL

10. Largemouth

Largemouth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133

11. fishdreams

fishdreams New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You are right, it is not legal to use blue gill in S.D., however it is legal to use both blue gill and goldfish in the Imperial Valley. In the warmer months you can catch a dozen small blue gills at Sunbeam lake (it's the small lake you see right off the rest stop between Seeley and El Centro) in no time at all. Use these for large bass and even larger flat head catfish. Goldfish are good for the bass and even channel cats in the smaller canals. Thank you for the warning as a fellow fishermans advice is always appreciated .

12. fishdreams

fishdreams New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  13. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen this guy use the small bluegill at Chollas to catch a bass. The bass killed it.

14. fishinggod22

fishinggod22 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Largemouth....its legal in the river system, but not in the imperial canals. the water has to be cosidered part of the colorado river and covered under the river stamp to fish with live bluegill. IE: the canals in and near el centro gills are not allowed

15. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,977
    So that raises another question....we don't need a river stamp to fish the canals do we?

16. fishdreams

fishdreams New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    o.k. fishinggod22, I will heed your advise. I'm going to look into it just to make sure and I will post the DFG's answer. The fishing regulations handbook list the entire Imperial county as part of the Colorado River district, at least their map makes it appear that way. I guess I'd better read the FINE PRINT to make sure. Thanks for the heads up.

P.S. I know that you do not need a "river stamp" to fish in the canals, I believe that you only need the stamp while fishing from a boat in the river. Any body know for sure???

17. fishinggod22

Ratings:
    +0
    you do not need the river stamp to fish the canals. just a valid california fishing liscense. now weather your fishing from shore or a boat you do need a river stamp. no matter weather you have a california or arizona liscense. Note: the gila gravity canal that starts at imperial dam is not considered part of the river district and you have to have a arizona fishing liscense to fish that perticular canal, yet lake mittry which is abosolutely in Arizona is part of the river district and all you need is the river stamp to fish that.

18. Largemouth

Largemouth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks for the intell guys!! I appreciate you both taken the time to explain the rules.

Fishingod22,
    Im down for a trip in april! ive been drooling over the canel's I want to get into some smallies the only place ive landed'em is in oregon and washington for my summer trips.

19. fishinggod22

Ratings:
    +0
    well largemouth, the smallies in the canals are pretty small. ive never personally seen a smallie over 4 pounds there. and almost all ive seen have been under a pound. maybe the AAC has bigger ones but the east and central and west canals they dont get too big. in april im going to float the colorado river. if you can make it hit up that thread i opened with what of the two weekends i posted will work best for you.

20. jimeisaac

jimeisaac Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Check out the Bay Fishing and Surf Fishing conferences. No charge to go fishing and you can catch your own bait.