Fresh bait vs. artificial lures?

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by fliesbath, May 28, 2018.

1. fliesbath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +314
    It seems like a lot of people use artificial lures to catch bay bass. Do people do this for the challenge, or because it really does catch more fish? Does it usually attract bigger fish?

I was using mostly shrimp right at the shoreline a few days ago at Agua Hedionda lagoon and caught four different species, but all small fish. This was real fun but was it an anomaly or should I try the artificials? Right now I am very happy with quantity over quality, but I imagine some day this will change. I wouldn't mind some fish tacos every once in a while.

What are your thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Each has there place and it really just depends on what your into... I’ve caught some of my larger spotties soaking fresh shrimp.

Personally for me it’s more satisfying catching on artificial.

That being said both Work, I can’t say one is better than the others in catching larger fish I think it’s just a numbers game no matter what kind of bait you are using.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,212
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    I've caught plenty of spotties on live bait and chunks of bait, usually as by-catch when going for sharks n rays. They can get pretty annoying, that's why I usually target S n R from the back bays where the S n R population is more than the spotty population. I think it is way more fun to catch bass on artificials than bait. I don't really know of anyone that throws chunks of bait for spotties. Even with live bait most people are targeting halibut.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,212
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    My brother caught a legal spotty in DAC on a whole squid.

5. Cyborgstarfish

Cyborgstarfish Catcherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,731
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    Using bait for Spotties is cheating. They almost always swallow the hook. So I think it is kind of stupid to target Spotties on bait. If you target croaker, sharks, and rays with bait you will catch some Spotties. I haven't soaked bait in the bay for a while but that's mostly due to the lack of transportation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,417
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Bait will yield more species, lures tend to get fewer, bigger fish but there are times this is not so, for example, shark fishing (most always done with bait from shore) . When you're talking about eating fish, what do you have in mind there? When I think of edible fish from shore, only a few species come to mind, and bay bass certainly don't make the list.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. fliesbath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +314
    I did not have anything in particular in mind. I know people are eating opaleye, surfperch, croakers, and some rockfish. Does everybody throw back three types of sand bass even when they're more than 14 inches?

I was thinking maybe having one rod set up with shrimp and a circle hook so I can soak it and not worry about the fish swallowing the hook. And then having another rod with artificials. This may end up being too much of a hassle.

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,417
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    fliesbath , I prefer the non perch, perch.. Fish like halfmoon, zebras, opaleye, sargo, blacksmith etc are my go to food fish, a lot of folks will eat calico and sand bass though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,603
    Name:
    Eric
    Exactly my thoughts. It's more fun to skunk working lures then soaking bait,but in the end catching fish is the funnest. Bait definitely gets more species. To me though i enjoy feeling a nice bigger bass attack the lure. And bigger lures can specifically target bigger fish, you're not going to catch macks on a 6" salt pro

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    I only run bait if I'm fishing off of the rocks in the MB channel. Everywhere else I throw lures. Could probably stand to throw larger sometimes (3" is by far the largest I throw usually. Smaller than that isn't unheard of) but I've gotten my best fish on smaller lures, so *shrug*

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,603
    Name:
    Eric
    fliesbath as far as throwing back legal bass, spotties don't have a good reputation as food. While I don't think their completely unedible, definitely much much more fun to catch then good to eat so they almost always get thrown back. Calicos are better and are eaten much more often

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,515
    Name:
    Kenny
    Calicos are also slooooow to grow/reproduce. I recommend eating some legals to try, and CPR the majority of them - even the big girls - especially the big girls.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  13. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,650
    Nothing like jumping on a year old thread.

Try a spotty. Some folks like 'em. Sandies and calicos have flavor that appeals to more people. Lots of spotfin, sargo and other tasty fish in that lagoon but if you're baitfishing, pay close attention for bites to reduce the damage to short bass...don't just huck it out and go to sleep.
    Also be advised that lagoon fishing requires a second rod stamp if you're using two rods. DFW usually will let you slide because it's a confusing rule. But the Carlsbad code enforcement officer will drop the hammer....because the city gets a cut of the fine, apparently.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,566
    Shouldn't this post be in the Bay section ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    I have been trying to catch the bass at ponto for months on plastics for nothing. I switched it up two weeks ago to some cut squid and landed 4 fish in 5 minutes. Caught fish every day since. They have their place though and I was stubborn ha. Still trying.

16. Boogie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +382
    That’s my set up. One for bait and another for lures. I always bring 2 set ups just in case of bird nesting.

17. Parzival

Parzival Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117
    I've been catching a lot of blacksmith perch on the half day boats with my kids. How do they taste?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,603
    Name:
    Eric
    Last half day I went on a month ago I caught a limit of blacksmith. They're pretty tasty, in my opinion

19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,417
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Blacksmith are delicious, Parzival .. seriously

20. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,603
    Name:
    Eric
    In my opinion it's more fun to throw lures then wait for a bite, but catching fish is funner than retrieving a lure. I use to be a lure guy but have become more of a bait guy. Lures have their place, some fish very rarely eat bait and lures are better for them (halibut, corvina, bonito ect) but bait tends to get it done. Live bait is probably better than lures for those fish too but not always convenient or doable.
    Also lures in the surf tends to be tougher than in bays, atleast to me, salad kills the action of the lure

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List