Full day, last few questions?

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Vito1023, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,154
    Unless they cancel the trip like my last trip I’m going out on the San Diego out of Seaforth tomorrow, l have normally not gotten sick on the few trips that I’ve been on but a friend gave me 2 Scopolamine patches and I’ve never used them before but seeing that I’ve got them I’m going to use them, he says to put one on today and then another at midnight tonight anybody have any suggestions?
    Some questions:
    Hows the water been lately?
    Will 20lb Fluorocarbon suffice?
    Do I need any weight?
    There’s been a few Bluefin in the counts, anything different to bring?
    Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,369
    One patch is all you need, just put it on before bed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. HK_Supermarket

HK_Supermarket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Name:
    Ben
    Those patches last 72 hours. Put it on the day before and you'll be good for your trip. Do not double up patches. Won't help and will probably just give you a bunch of side effects.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. twin22s

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +440
    Boat:
    float tube
    I'd bring some 30lb leader, on a day trip you won't have a ton of time to fish once you find them, start with the 20lb and after you get 1 or 2 on the boat see if you can get bit on 30lb, or a jig on 40#. that would be best case scenario of course, expectations should be managed and if its a slow bite 20# is all you'll need.

No intel on how rough it is but looking at the weather seems "relatively" calm.

Adding a small sliding sinker to your bait rod can make a huge difference in a picky bite, i always start with a 1/4oz and maybe take it off when i re-tie if its not needed. bring some 4-6oz torpedos to rubberband rig your heavy setup if targeting deep bluefin

bring a heavy(40-60lb) setup just in case if you have one for the bluefin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,663
    Name:
    Eric
    I've been out on the San Diego three times this year, most of the fish were caught flyline no weight, some on snipers and poppers. They've advised 20 and 40# rods on the trips I've been on, size 2 hooks. All the fish I caught were on 20#, straight mono on 2 trips and 20# fluro leader on the last trip. I have been bringing 20 30 and 40# setups, 15 and 20# fluro. The counts have been good again lately. In addition to the patch make sure to drink enough water and eat. Get em vito!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,775
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    If you have instagram just follow @thesandiego

They will post an update tonight and give tackle tips.

but stop overthinking it. Just bring a 20# rod, a 30# rod, and a 40# rod that can double for throwing colt snipers.

And you will probably still only fish your 20# rod flyline the whole time...which will handle the bluefin they have been catching the last few days.

#6 DPevin, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,502
    The bait has been a little better lately. You probably can fish #30 to start with and even get away with #40 if the bite goes wide open. Just look at the bait when they load up with it and go from there. You'll have time to tie everything up before you get to the tuna grounds.

With #20, if you don't have the drag set right to start with, well, on a crowded boat, the margin for error is a lot smaller. I caught a nice #55-60 BFT on #20 Blue Label but then had 3 straight break offs after that. Two of them came because I had the drag set a little higher than I probably should have, but the third was just odd. I went to #25 and #30 after that and caught 2 more #55-60 BFT. Had a super light load that day of only 19 anglers so that really helped too.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,775
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    On that note...Have the deckhands set your drag. If you are fishing 20# or 25#, set the drag for the line test...then back it off a bit (couple clicks) so you don't pull hooks or pop them off putting it into gear when you get bit. Then after the initial run just click down a couple more to get it back just right for the line you are fishing. . And remember to adjust it after every fish.

If you see people bit and just as it starts peeling drag, pop off...its cause their drag was too tight.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  9. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,502
    Yep, it can be easy to get a little too excited in the middle of a hot bite and forget to check your drag and do some of these little things that might make the difference between landing a really nice fish or losing it, especially when you've been fishing a lever drag reel for a while and then go to a star drag reel and forget to back off on the drag after catching a nice fish!!! :emoji_face_palm:

I think I was a little more patient when I was new to Bluefin fishing. I was so much more conscientious about all of these little things, and lately it feels as if I've been a little more careless for whatsoever reason, and that's never going to work with those fish!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,070
    You’re a humble guy Vito. You know the deal. Get out there and get yourself some. Good luck, and we’ll see you on the other side.