Full Moon and Yellowtail fishing

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Biddison, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Biddison

Biddison New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would ask opinions on effects of the full moon and yellowtail fishing. Obviously they may feed more at night during this time but what other effects do you think the moon plays when it comes to targeting this fish?

Jeff

2. Shyazn8boi

Shyazn8boi New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Last year I was experiencing that PM was catching more Yellowtails & Bonito on 1/2 PM trips..

If theres a fullmoon and go out fishing the next day, you will barely catch anything. Go to the afternoon youll be catching nice YT or Bonitos, I believe they are hungry during the noon, so feed them your candy!

3. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    It's hard to predict the feeding patterns of a pelagic species. Sometime's you'll be over schools of them, and you won't get them to bite on a single thing. I agree with the previous poster about not catching as many, but (not to discredit him) I disagree with his explaination as to why. It's typically going to be slower following a "full moon" phase because the intense light projected by the moon enables the pelagic species (i.e. yellowtail) to actively feed at night as well as durring the day. The best time to catch these fish (when they're migrating thru of course) is durring a "no moon" phase. They can't see the light reflecting off of the shimmering bodies of the baitfish at night, thus will only feed durring the day. Just keep your eyes peeled for reports on the local message boards. They'll usually clue you in to where they're being caught, and what they're catching them on.

Fomen

4. zman

zman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    full moon or not right now those fish are so stuffed from all the squid.a night sesh would be a good thing for full moon.im down!!

5. Biddison

Biddison New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info fellas. All feedback is great from fellow fishermen. I'm putting together the Biddison now. She will be ready next month and I will start fishing her hard. Hopefully I get some fresh kill right away. Thanks again all.

Jeff

6. jigstick

jigstick Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The most obvious effect directly before, during, or after a Full Moon is Stronger Tides. It WILL require more effort setting up the boat around structure, that is if you use an anchor properly. Off shore I`m not so sure it makes a difference, considering your not planning for tides, or anchoring up at Northwest etc. Getting to know some skiff guys (I`m a Sportboat Capt.) I`m amazed at how many almost never anchor. Full Moon (stronger tides) no anchor = drifting right off the spot!!!
    Personally, I feel the "fish feed at night" thing during stronger moon phases, Or "Full Moon" is way overrated.
    Sean