Full truth about Mike Long's cheating published in full...

Discussion in 'Bass' started by otay michael, Jun 27, 2019.

1. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,272
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    WHAT??? Then where's Bernie getting all that money???

2. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9

Yes. I was on the lake that day and a fisherman told me somebody caught a big bass near San Diego Arm. =^..^=

3. Mrvoy

Mrvoy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +204
    That's to bad. I've never been a huge fan of sight fishing. Not saying all sight fishermen does it but not all fishermen are honest. Furthermore, I'm thinking Mike Long is not the only one. This reminds of how "DOTTIE" was supposedly foul hooked on the back with a white jig. If I remember correctly, the angler swung like 4 or 5 times before finally hooking her on her back. Just curious. What are you thoughts?

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,272
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    My mind went to the same place! Big money breeds corruption. Seems that when the white jig disappears they swing. The main difference being the weighted treble hook, if indeed that's what was used. Had there not been witnesses to the Dottie snagging would she have gone on the top of the "list"? Who knows?

5. jeepnkal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +336
    If i remember correctly they recognized she was foul hooked and didn't try to hide it. I could be wrong though.

6. Don riese

Don riese Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Boat:
    Ranger
    Nice job

7. Baja Belk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +140
    Anybody think the lakes here will remove his records? Seems like they couldn't really deny the evidence, but not sure they really care to get involved? Also, think the DFG will cite him and ban his license privileges given the snagging video? Seems like those two possibilities would be best case scenario. And yeah, seems like he's already found his hole to crawl into and is getting comfortable. Maybe he'll attempt to sue Kellen for defamation? I for one am very interested in the fallout of this thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,066
    There's no hard evidence of any wrongdoing as far as attempting to snag the bass; If Kellen had made a citizen's arrest things might be different. Right now, there's just a guy in a boat in a video that could have been shot anywhere. The DFW pretty much has to witness the illegal behavior; and even when they do, they rarely take away a poacher's fishing privileges for long. Sometimes there's a suspension. I know it's been a few years, but the two guys who speared the black sea bass...INside the La Jolla reserve....would have been allowed to reapply for fishing licenses if they didn't reoffend while on probation. But, hey, they said they were sorry.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,272
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Agree, as they say on those real-life whodunnit shows, "there is a mountain of circumstantial evidence". I found some of it downright silly. By no means do I think the man is innocent of all charges, but I doubt a prosecutor would go into the courtroom with such a case.

10. Bassmagnum

Bassmagnum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264
    Name:
    Captain Ross E Mariano
    Don't think the purpose was to have him prosecuted as much as it was to shut him down. I agree with fisheromen. The Snow Bass is a good example. The lure reportedly used was a jig yet you never see a hook set or rod bend. Can a hook be set by just turning the handle? Sure, isn't that the method used by many while drop shotting and almost everyone when fishing circle hooks. Can a fish be brought in by pointing the rod at a fish? Sure, it's called straight winding. Here's the caveat, anyone who fishes jigs and has the room to swing is going to swing and I know of no one who is going to point their rod at a fish to bring it to the boat unless they had no other choice but to. Those of you who have fished a crowded boat know what I'm talking about. With few exceptions, that are a whole nother subject, it's just not done. But alas, as fisheromen stated, it's circumstancial evidence

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,763
    why does this come out 20 yrs later? if something is real bring it out when it happens, women talking about rape etc.
    go to the police.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Bassmagnum

Bassmagnum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264
    Name:
    Captain Ross E Mariano
    Can't figure that out either. Never known it to happen unless DFG is involved. Maybe the powers that be figure banishment and shame are enough punishment

13. Spidey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +183
    Your calendar could be broken. And I'm sorry girls don't like you. Read the article

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,272
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    There has been suspicion for some time. The snagging video was shot this last spring.

Edit: Some was shot spring of 2018.

#34 fisheromen, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  15. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,763
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...san-diego-records-snagging-sdfish-airrus-rods.
    this story has been i my head 10 years (quote)
    “Around 2010, I realized he was completely full of it,” said Ellis, who acknowledged he stopped answering or returning calls from Long when he became convinced the angler was cheating and falsely claiming records. “So I started writing this in my head. I’ve been doing this article in my head for 10 years.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,066
    Tournament directors have been leery of the guy for years, as noted in the article. BTW, there's a Bryce Miller column on the front page of today's UT sports section about this. With a still shot...Kellen Ellis photo credit.