Fully rigged and ready for the swim bait season.

Discussion in 'Swimbaits' started by Linebig, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Last week the reels came and this week the rods came in and just in time for the new trout season. I cant wait for Saturday!

image.jpg

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,726
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I see Lunkers in your future!

3. Og Outcast

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +34
    Boat:
    Yours
    Now those are some nice setups, money well spent!

4. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I sure hope so... I have decided this winter i will put serious time in again tossing big baits. Last winter it paid off with a double digit. Maybe 2 thie time? My rig was not the best for big baits so I stuck to the smaller ones like Gancraft of Negociator

5. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Was not done..oops..... This time with the larger rods... I have the ability to cast he toads and hope amd hope and hope! Haha.

6. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Well..... Did not pay for the set ups only the baits....

7. Og Outcast

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +34
    Boat:
    Yours
    Even better...lol
    Good luck on your 2nd DD:)

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,726
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Be careful using braid. You will pop those babies off if you backlash.

9. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Nope... 20 pound XXX Izorline . No braid for swim baits. Small ones okay... Anything 4oz or larger.. Nope. I do thank you for reminding me!

10. Jmeat

Jmeat Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Gorgeous!

11. avid_basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +516
    I see good things in your future!

12. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
  13. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Yes, on other rods my friend loaded with Curado 300's . These rods are for the larger glide baits or even the mega soft type. And after using them...oh my. They can cast a 250 so well and so far. I have not landed a fish with them yet as I only fished them once so far, still i have notice the ability to really move a ton of water when trying to yank the bait as hard as I can. The hook set should be very nice. And combined with the reels. The handles are sweet and the spool size seems just right. 5:6 gear however with the larger spool a ton of lines cranked in.

I am headed back to Queen Charlotte Island again in 2016 and cant wait to use these rods for what they were truly intended for, Salmon! Landing a 30-40 pound King off shore thats on its path coming in to the rivers, if you have not experienced that you have not lived. Bald Eagles, huge Whales, Killer Wales, and fishing right next to them... Oh baby.

image.jpg

14. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    Real Hudds? Lol. Swap out the carp SS250 for an 8" ROF5 and you're ready to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Hahaha...that carp is a good color. The best color I have is the Nude Black. Have not tossed it. That is a real hud on there ..haha.. Only a small one..haha. We have 1 eight inch hud the rest are 6 inch. Our rods could barely toss one that big. I like the 68 hud thats on the rod. This season we will get a few more. All of the bass we have landed came on glide baits. I know the Hudds are sweet. I just wreck them, rocks, snags and normal use they just get beat to death and tear up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

16. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    By "real" I just meant the real size. Those 6" baits are ok, but the 8" is where it's at. Baits are meant to get beat up man!! Hudds work better the worse they start to look also, so you're just breaking them in. Get some Mend-it and go to work. Grab a few 8" ROF5s, you can even pick them up fully rigged (Butch Brown style) from East County Bait and Tackle and have them ready to go. And now you have some rods perfectly suited for them.

The carp is a good color...kind of a product of the Butch Brown "Hype Train" though. The reason the carp color got so popular is his videos, from before there was a good trout color. The carp was just the best that was available then because it was literally the only thing that remotely resembled anything in our lakes in California. It works still, but they wouldn't have the following they do if the trout color was available from the get-go.

17. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,548
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I understand that, if I toss them more this season I'll need to repair them. Tomorrow we go to Otay, friday is Jennings. I an hopeful. As for the Carp SS. Until they stop hitting it? My boy tossed it at Otay and 3 rd cast got smacked... Scared him..he was not expectiong a hit so soon... Haha. . Saw a photo a couple weeks back of a shore guy tossing the carp. Gotta double dig. I do have 2 trout patterns. And I really hope I get one this winter on them. They are the Japan trout and not our normal version, they seem a little lighter in the water, a tad more golden. we shall see if it matters. I might even end up selling one to get other gear. Not sure.

18. tmbtc12

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +162
    Boat:
    2012 Triton 19xs
    Love the new setups...those Calcutta 300s look awesome! I'll be putting some time in on Friday with my swimbait gear...most likely Morena. Good luck!

19. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,122
    So if i was going to buy a hudd the rof 5 is the way to go?

20. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    Certainly a time and a place for the others, but if you could only have one, I'd start with the ROF5.

The 12 and the 16 are good tools also if you've identified situations where you need them to run deeper.

Also, if you're going to throw a double hudd rig, go with a 12 on the main line and a 5 on the swivel to get them to have a little buffer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List