Fun in the Sun

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by Pourboy, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Pourboy

Pourboy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Got on the water about 4:25am and started paddling backwards. I put on my audiobook “History of Bourbon” and just enjoyed being on the lake. I was supposed to have a partner on Sunday but stuff happens. I headed out solo. I’ve fished the B dozens of times but never in a tube. Picked up a pair of breathable waders this week thank goodness. I was prepped with plenty of fluids, snacks and gear for the day. Realistically I just wanted a day on the water. Period. This year has been interesting to say the least.
    So watching the moon set and the sun come up was amazing. My first day on Barrett for the year is like Christmas morning. Again and again and again. One of those feelings that adults truly appreciate. They are rare for sure.

5:24 I got my first blade fish. Nothing to write home about but still a fish. Chunky 15 inch fish that pulled and splashed. I’ve caught big fish and small fish but the fact is I love to catch fish. 45 minutes later number 2 hit. By 7:15 I Had 10. 8 blades and 2 on jigs. Pitching and flipping. My normal M/O at the B. When it was on it was ON! Back to back casts catching fish and then a spell with 0. Then the excitement was back. By 9:55 I had 17 all with the same pattern. Something I noticed for sure. Banks with mustard plants (mud) 0 fish, banks with gravel or rocks had fish mainly where the structure was right next to areas that were bare. Stretches of 100 yards were not uncommon where there were no hits at all. I pulled up to one of my favorite rock structures and immediately hooked up. There was a kayaker there who was hooking up left and right. He said to someone else that he’d pulled 26 mostly from that spot. I do not doubt that statement for sure. He pulled several in just a few minutes while I was there. Jigs were the key on rocks. I picked up a couple and headed to a nearby rock pile and drop off. I picked up 5 in15 minutes and was feeling great.
    I started heading back towards pigs at 10 (slowly) and just enjoying the day.
    I ended up picking up a couple bluegill and bass on the small dropshot fighting the wind on the way back. That took a couple hours. I had great listening material and was just relaxed.
    Do I want great huge fish and all day line pulling? For sure! But that doesn’t always happen. I crossed back across the channel between the arms around 12. I ate my sandwich and drank my coconut water. 22 bass and 2 bluegill. I got 1 more bluegill just after that and then nothing else. And I was pushing hard! I headed to one more spot on the way back and kept tossing the jig. Kablam! One more fish. 4lbs 8oz on the jig. I ended the day with 23 bass and 3 bluegill. I was totally satisfied. At 2:45 if got to the car and turned on the A/C and cracked my reward beer. I sat there looking at the temp...108 degrees for several minutes. My legs were sore my mind relaxed and my soul was full.
    I headed home and was in Poway shortly. A great day. Go out and enjoy. I’m very thankful for the opportunity. My total was...

Blades-8
    Jigs-13
    Dropshot-2

7 bass over 3lbs.

Bluegill (dropshot)-3

Take what you want from this and just fish because you like to fish.
    Cheers!

43DC3A42-CEE7-4778-9274-8BA9FAC7AC73.jpeg

03D7EF18-60FB-43BD-AFB9-B6F00763DBE2.jpeg

146697BC-B078-4C89-9F47-2AEF3600A2B3.jpeg

2. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +430
    Nice read and nice pics. Sounds like a great day.

3. david88

david88 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Great report and fishing if you ask me. I like your perspective on fishing the day. Way to go!

4. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,013
    Great read. Good results are always a bonus.

5. bgood

bgood REALTOR
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +395
    Name:
    Brian Goodell
    Great report! Refreshing after hearing some of the scrooge's reports on here lately. Perspective goes a long way.

6. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,950
    Nice work and report!

7. Borderbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +374
    That is a good day for sure. Gives me hope for tomorrow.

8. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +42
    Awesome analysis. Thanks for the detailed info!

9. SurfHooks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +369
    I dig your vibe!

10. Dan_sus25

Dan_sus25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97
    Boat:
    No

11. Barcroftlakeva

Barcroftlakeva Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Great, detailed report and pics! Sounds like an awesome day on the Big B!