Future Trout Plants

Discussion in 'Trout' started by Dylan 101, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    I have tried to find the future trout plants but i can’t. I have look here in sdfish and dfg but none for San Diego. Can anyone help.

2. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,121
    Boat:
    SR-18
    It’s a waiting game to see how water temp/quality change to conditions suitable for trout. They aren’t cheap. Funds to purchase and supply of trout are limited.

3. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    Yeah sadly

4. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +880
    i received a note with my helix water bill, jennings will be stocking when water temp drops to 72 degrees, it should be close now.
    cuyamaca is a year behind on there website, and dont return phones calls. i called last week because were staying in the camp ground for a week.

5. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    Nice! Do you know them temp at Jennings right now?

6. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9

#6 Meezer_Man, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Stick with reports from the lake staff if you can reach 'em. Don't put too much credence in information from the DFW. There is a page somewhere listing where they've planted and what weeks they have planned for the next fish dumps. Before my last trip to the Mammoth area, I was happy to seen that they'd made several plants in nearby creeks. Talking with the campground hosts and rangers, the response was "Uh, no, we haven't seen 'em all year."

8. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +880
    9B11CBD5-26A8-4078-99DD-1A457DC665F0.jpeg BB0C514A-7329-444C-93BE-4D1723AF69B4.jpeg There are some hold over fish from the kids derby. 10/16 caught these
    Going to smoke

9. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,594
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/Default.aspx?county=San+Diego&time=All

Hiya Dylan...found the DFW's page that lists recent plants. That's the link to my search for SD County. Make of it what you will.

On that main page there's also a list of provisional plants...the ones they kinda thought would happen this year. I saw one of my seeeecret creeks on there and searched the active lists, and it turns out they didn't stock it this year. Which is okay, since I don't think that creek was more than a dribble...and was totally dry last (2018) summer.

10. shawnanigans

shawnanigans Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +166
    Santee lakes has its opener November 2-3 I thought....

11. beast759

beast759 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56

thats what i heard

12. Mr. NiceGuy

Mr. NiceGuy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +429
    Everyone can read it straight from the horse's mouth here:
    Fishing Events - Santee Lakes

I've never fished there before. What are the favorite lakes or locations?

Lakes 1-5 are open for day use.
    Lakes 6-7 are reserved for overnight campers and those who buy an additional stamp.

#12 Mr. NiceGuy, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  13. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,601
    Where are you seeing the additional stamp part for fishing lake 6 and 7 if you aren't a camper?

I normally have horrible luck with trout at Santee, mostly because I don't walk around much.

14. Fishingnoob619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +449
    It’s listed under the fishing rules and regulations.

15. shawnanigans

shawnanigans Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +166

Santee lakes isn't the best place imo, but I still make my way back there trout season...I say lake 3 is the most popular

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Mr. NiceGuy

Ratings:
    +429

It's under "Fishing FAQ's" ... under the last tab "Where Can I Fish"
    Fishing FAQ - Santee Lakes

For me, what made the most difference in lakes that are planted with farmed trout is using 2# test line, Carolina rig with a small egg sinker and about 14-18" of leader in front of the egg sinker held in place with a little split-pea weight. A small treble hook is better than one that is larger. I have had the best luck with corn flavor Power Bait. Sparkles or not has not made a noticeable difference for me. Then I set my pole in a holder and hang a plastic float off my line between the eyelets of my pole. I then sit back and sip my coffee or eat a sandwich, etc., and wait for the float to rise.

If that's too easy, then you can try something more complicated.

IMHO, the "big bait big fish" rule doesn't apply with farmed trout in this situation. I think the "less is more" rule applies here.

Keep your drag very loose to protect your 2# test line. Just enough pressure to keep your line firm.

That's it. Don't make things complicated. If there are not many trout around, get a stamp for a second pole.

With 2# test line, you can't cast too hard or jerk in excitement. Take your time and reel in gentle. A trout will tire fast and you can beach them. If the trout is still active, they can break your line if you try to lift them out of the water. Use a net, or wait until they are ready to be beached gently.

A plunger type plastic hook extractor gets the hook out easy. Trout will often suck down Power Bait into their throat or back of their mouth. Lip hooks are less common. The hook extractor is more humane.

Use the small end with a quick plunging motion to extract a small treble hook. This less traumatic unhooking technique will help keep your fish alive and fresh in your basket until you are ready to go home.

p%3A%2F%2Fimages.nitrosell.com%2Fproduct_images%2F14%2F3478%2Fthumb-jt-39hr-plastic-hook-remover.jpg

#16 Mr. NiceGuy, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  17. Mr. NiceGuy

Ratings:
    +429
    I haven't been there myself, but they are dumping 4000 pounds of trout there for their opening on November 2. I'm guessing the trucks will plant the day before. With that many farm fish competing for food, catching the limit of 5 should be pretty quick. Santee Lakes boosts advertising by adding in lots of bigger sized fish and some massive trophy fish for publicity photos and prizes.

I used to take my morning coffee trout fishing at Lake Murray because it's so close to my house. They stopped actively promoting their trout season several years ago and the action there plummeted. I haven't checked recently, but I dropped in about a year ago and it was deader than a door nail. The fish that were planted were all the little pan-sized DFG fish.

I have a small second home in Idyllwild (Pine Cove), and I put in most of my trout hours there at Lake Hemet. It's good. It's steady. It's not crowded. It's about 20 min away from my little escape house in the forest. It's high altitude so the water is colder for a longer season. I have a favorite spot from shore where I can usually catch my limit within a few hours after sunrise, leaving the rest of my day to move on to my endless other hobbies :p

Life is sweet, isn't it?

Thanks for the tip about Lake 3 being your preferred starting point. That was also my guess from looking at the map, all things considered. Your confirmation helps! I might go out and walk the lake for a look around in advance of Nov 2. I will also see if I can buy my ticket in advance. I'm sure it's going to be a crazy, overpopulated, overpopulated zoo when they open the gates on Saturday morning, Nov 2nd to launch their season.

Yipee! Let's join the melee and have some fun!

#17 Mr. NiceGuy, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  18. HK_Supermarket

HK_Supermarket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224
    Name:
    Ben
    How do you get ticket in advanced? I'm kind of confused cause it says the lakes open at 6am but store opens at 9am

19. Mr. NiceGuy

Ratings:
    +429
    My meaning is that I will go there in advance of Nov 2, in person, to walk around the lakes and check out the situation. I have not been there before. When I get there I'll ask the store or the people at the entry gate if I can buy my ticket for Nov 2 in advance, hopefully to avoid a possible mob of people in line.

I think I read that the gate opens at 6am on weekends, which is before first light. Let me double check .....

20. Mr. NiceGuy

Ratings:
    +429
    Cut/Paste from their website:

November (Daylight Savings weekend)– February

• Monday – Thursday: 8:00AM to 5:00PM
    • Friday – Sunday: 6:00AM to 5:00PM
    Day-use visitors may fish only during posted Park hours unless authorized by the Park and Recreation Director. Registered campers may fish from sunrise to sunset with a Day-Use Fishing Permit and from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. with a Night Fishing Permit.

Regarding the store located at Lake 5:
    "After September 3rd the hours will be 9:00am-5:00pm every day. You can still rent a boat, make reservations, buy your permits and pick up some snacks."

I don't know if the store is the only place we can buy a daily fishing ticket. At Lake Murray they have a self-serve system to use before their store is open.

BTW, for those of us over 60, the Senior price is only 6 bux.

I'll know more when I go there in person to check it out.

#20 Mr. NiceGuy, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019