FYI: DFG was at Murray today - 03/14/08

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by iNo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. iNo

iNo New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    DFG was at Murray today - 03/14/08
    Make sure to use the Iron Rangers and
    have your license. Which i'm sure we all
    do already, but just in case...

2. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,712
    ITS ABOUT TIME!! I Think it would be safe to assume that most of our lakes would be a lot cleaner and with more fish for law abiding people If DFG frequently made more rounds to our local lakes cause I have never been checked.I did get checked at the canals in Imperial Valley three times in one day when I went last month so It is possible to do the same here.If you do not pay you don`t play and I hope the persons that do not pay get caught and I would not bother to warn them.

3. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,850
    Good to see them out there. In my entire life I have never been checked by the DFG anywhere in San Diego. I got checked one time fishing the SD River in Mission Valley by a Police Officer, and then once out at the canals with molbasser and gary by an actual DFG warden.

4. hawaiianstyle

hawaiianstyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I THINK I'VE BEEN CHECKED ABOUT 7 TIMES IN SD

5. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    We were checked once coming out of Shelter Island. My buddy caught a 32" Halibut and I guess the prompted the check. Nothing else was kept though.

I sure would like to see them check the lakes more often, and I would like to see more night time patrols. There needs to be more of a crack down on poaching.

6. iNo

iNo New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've been checked 3 times at Loveland and once at Murray.
    Those DFG dudes are pretty stealthy. He just stepped out from
    behind a tree. I didn't even hear his truck pull up. There
    was a guy fishing with his kid about 20 yards away. He didn't
    even bother to reel in his lines -- he just bit all three lines
    off and beat feet. I could hear his kid repeating,"daddy, why
    are we running?" :pinch: Good example to set for a kid.

Do they have a local office here in SD? or are they having
    to travel into town. The guy was different from the one i
    met over at Loveland.

7. sosvp_1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +135
    I've been checked at two lakes in San Diego. Dixon and Barrett

8. Rotten

Rotten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In 2 years ive been checked once, on Jan 1 2007 on the bay. Fortunatly i was covered but the two guys I was with werent so lucky
    :(

9. shadowdog3

shadowdog3 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I go out around 4-5 times a week and get checked about 3 times a year. Not too much I guess. There's talk about the incident awhile back about searches conducted under less than legal (questionable) circumstances. The DFG police are saying they do not need probable cause to search your tackle bag or whatever. I say and also the 4th amendment, to hell with that. This I think is the wrong attitude to take with them. The story is in a past issue of WON magazing. Just something to think about. While some of us are willing to give up our rights in the name of security. No Way!!!!

sd

10. FishDad

FishDad New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was checked @ Otay yesterday. DFG was in a rental boat, and wind was really blowing good. He was a friendly. That's the second time I have been checked this year. Other Dfg guy was cool also.

11. pmill

pmill Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been checked by DFG at Dixon once before, the guy was on shore doing his rounds and yelled out to us in a boat to show our licenses.

But I get checked almost regularly in San Diego Bay. Usually it's not on the water, they wait for boats as they come in to Shelter Island ramp. A couple times it has been researchers asking about what species we caught, what we kept or released, and any other species we might have seen out there. But I can't remember how many times i've been checked or seen others getting checked there.

There was also a time when DFG made their way out to the PL kelp beds and came up to us to check licenses, that was interesting.

I've been inspected twice by Coast Guard in the bay, which takes forever and we just fished off the other side of the boat while they did their thing.

So besides the fact there must be a big target on the side of my boat, I'd say their definitely out there doing their jobs. But I would agree if anyone argued that they need to cover freshwater a little more.

12. Austin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +219
    Boat:
    yes
    It is pretty rare here in San Diego to be checked at one of the lakes. I regularly get checked out on the bay and especially at Shelter Island launch ramp. In the valley I get checked all the time. They always ask if they can look in the ice chest. So what I have nothing to hide. Why would you stress it unless you do have something illegal!!!!!!

13. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    I know I will be checked now that I am saying this, but I have only been checked while at Santee lakes, and once kind of at Jennings.

14. sharkchum

sharkchum New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was checked at Otay yesterday. Like fishindad said he seemed nice.
    As he approached my boat, he slowed down and stayed off of the spot I was fishing. Unlike the one at skinner, who did a loop around us as we were trolling. That license check cost me a lucky craft. When I brought it to his attention, he laughed, said sorry as he was chuckling to himself.

15. MeetDrFeelGood

MeetDrFeelGood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    They've been checking at Miramar also. Especially during stocking week. I've been checked twice in the last month. Hooray for them. Undercover or uniform?? You might ask?? Find out for yourself...lol.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I myself have never been checked, and I don't even have to knock on wood....because I play by the rules.:laugh:

17. Shyazn8boi

Shyazn8boi New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My total life.. I only been checked twice.

Harbor Island & Mission Bay..

Harbor Island was a police.. Asked for our license and we showed it to him.

Mission Bay was a real DFG.. They checked my 2 friends out if they had their license, and their backpack also.

And he didn't check me.. I was wearing my Point Loma shirt.. Maybe he thinks im responsible of the DFG rules. I even told him; "wanna check my backpack too?". He was like "no, its cool".

OWNAGE right there!

18. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    Hear Hear EZ. If you're playing by the rules, there's no reason to worry. Like someone posted earlier, the child asked his father why they were running. If for nothing else, let's try to set good examples for the children we are bringing up.

19. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +131
    Name:
    Eric
    Yup, they were at Miramar yesterday with the boat, and today just driving around - kind of weird to see them two days in a row at the same place. Oh well...

20. MeetDrFeelGood

MeetDrFeelGood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Rumor has it that some fisherman had 35 trout in their livewell. Also a boat had a bunch of corn floatin in the livewell too. Bet you Miramar is a hotspot for citations...lol. DFG cited the guy next to me for not having a license then when he came to me he said whats your story. I put my hands up and said me no speak english...lol. I took it he was irked by all the dumb excuses people were giving him that day. After he checked my license he just drove on to the next angler. Didn't even say good luck.