Garlic scented, glowing, high action soft plastic tail

Discussion in 'Bass' started by jiggerjohn, Nov 9, 2019.

1. jiggerjohn

jiggerjohn Member

Ratings:
    +8
    As my buddy, spoonminnow, always says, the soft plastic designs better COERCE bass into striking, rather than by what looks "natural" to us humans.Recently I found a 4" soft plastic tail that drew strikes when other soft "smell" lures could not during a week long trip. Though this long minnow shaped, short curly tailed 4" bait is ,as of now, mostly a saltwater lure (Gulf area of Texas), my observations show that its "triggers" of a very visibly GLOWING body, ease of tail action, and powerful garlic scent, will score bigtime on largemouth. Very interesting color patterns also - at A.M. Fishing

2. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,220
    YouTube has many underwater videos where two or more lures were placed close to bass and only one or two got hit. Lure actions were different in each case and though fish watched all lures - because that's what fish do when any object is moving nearby - only a few provoked fish to strike.

When it comes to scent or how a lure tastes to fish, I'm not a big fan. Not saying they don't matter, but having caught thousands of fish on unscented lures has convinced me it's not worth the bother. Pork rind trailers and other pork eel designs did seem to get carried off by bass right off bottom when I wasn't paying attention. Maybe it was the salt but more likely the meaty texture. Now that Uncle Josh stopped selling jars of pork baits, soft plastics do very well in their absence. Before I used up my last pork frog, I made molds of the three size and figured how to duplicate the frog trailer action. (They could have come up with a better name for Chrise sake!) But one thing I learned is that the chunk body provides the target; the thin flapper tails provide the flutter along with a jig skirt.

John makes a good point about what appears natural to humans not being important when it comes to catching fish. Skirted jigs and trailers are the least natural looking lures ever made, yet they catch bass.
    Only fish know why ..... or I should say fish senses are key to the strike. Few lures move naturally but something about some lures gets under their scales and triggers aggression.

In John's case it was the combination of lure related factors that seemed to do well. but time will tell if his success was a fluke or high in potential for future outings. The other consideration is to change one or more of those lure characteristics such as using different colors or no scent. If doing so worked just as well catching fish, lure action and size were most likely primary/ everything else secondary.

As with any lure we do well with, confidence is always key. All it takes is a few fish....

3. jiggerjohn

jiggerjohn Member

Ratings:
    +8
    As Spoonminnow ALWAYS tells me, it's definately the fish catching RESULTS that tell the tale! The AM plastics tails sure gave me a bunch of CONFIDENCE, based on outfishing other similar jig trailers! Lure ACTION was probably the vital element, as the small endpiece had an extremely easy moving , fast shimmy, with the entire body taking on a subtle rocking motion. But, it does require more on-the-water "research", which I'm always ready for!!

4. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,220
    You said it all John with the words CONFIDENCE and LURE ACTION = RESULTS.
    I recently shared these thought on another forum where anglers went on and on about matching the hatch. I couldn't contain myself having designed and tested many designs in multiple colors and coming to the following conclusions:

In my mind (and I'm no expert that many on this forum have shown themselves to be), my emphasis for using lures is based on: lure characteristics-in-combination regardless the season. Simply put, we like a certain lure because it catches fish. But WHY does it do so well consistently ? Here are a few things I've considered:

1. lure color contrast examples:
    a. color brightness such as fluorescent colors that stand out like a neon sign.
    b. Laminate color contrast such as a darker color on one surface/ bright color on the other or bright tail color/dark body color
    c. Flash to include flakes in the plastic or on it's surface; spinning flashing blades (IE in-line)
    In my mind, I want the color to contrast against where a fish is looking - the bottom, the surface or to the side. If the lure is black, I expect the lure's action will be primary (IE a skirted jig and action trailer). Color can be a trigger, but not for any reason except color emphasizes lure shape and action which bring me to:.

2. shape and size in combination that match the potential of a fish striking striking it - examples:
    a. Sometimes less-is-best such as smaller and or with subtle action. At other times increased body bulk and possibly length challenges a fish's territory regardless the size fish and provokes it to strike.
    b. IMO certain lure profiles are programmed into a fish's DNA - IE fish, crawfish, snake.
    c. a fish's current aggression level determines what shapes and size fish will attack - IE pre-spawn fish in the shallows or school fish are very aggressive. Fish that are suspending should always be the targets of our lures.

3. lure action/ vibration / lateral line stimulation/ lure speed
    a. there are lure designs that do better retrieved slowly with pauses; other do fine trolled at a medium speed some having a bill-induced wobble (crankbaits, chatterbait). Spinnerbaits and skirted jigs & trailers fall in between those lure speeds - all having different action-profiles.
    b. the particular vibration of a lure picked up by a fish's sonic detection merits a close inspection of what a lure looks and acts like on various retrieves.
    c. horizontal action vs vertical action are key considerations for choosing lure design and presentation. This coupled with lure speed in either direction determine a lure's success.

I'll bet every one of you who has caught bass or any other species over the years, inadvertently or intentionally have taken the above into consideration. Granted, you may use a color you think a fish thinks is a shad, but as was stated above, fish bite lures for different reason, the least of which is to target and chow down on only one prey species at a time.

When it comes to colors, I have a limited range of say 5-10 colors per lure type and color will always be a secondary consideration when it comes to lure shape, size and action - IN COMBINATION. Please consider watching how a favorite lure acts as compared to similar lures. There's got to be something that sets it apart. Example: not all soft sticks like the Senko do well. Why? Lure action speaks the LOUDEST !!!

Finally, LURES IN GENERAL CONTRAST WITH ANYTHING THAT SWIMS, CRAWLS OR SCURRIES WHERE FISH LIVE. A buzzbait going a steady 1'/second is like nothing a fish has ever seen or heard. A spinnerbait with a huge willow leaf blade, emitting super-bright strobe-like flashes, is like nothing bass have ever seen and yet they strike. Nothing swims like a skirted jig with Rage Tail trailer, yet bass attack it either swimming the lure or working it on the bottom.

Unlimited are examples of unnatural lure contrasts that catch fish of any species and those contrasts are a combination of the above ! It always amazes me how well some catch fish so much better than others.
    Frank

5. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,760
    Name:
    Mike
    good lure.jpg

6. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,220
    How'd you know I call all lures creature baits! LOL Good one.

7. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,760
    Name:
    Mike
    :emoji_thumbsup:

8. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,118
    looks like someones trying to promote product....:emoji_unamused:

9. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,220
    I don't sell lures - though I do send them to friends and sometimes to those who ask. In fact these hybrid / composite lures are made from soft plastics anyone can catch fish with a just a bit of an imagination or copying some of the ideas I post. The only one not made of plastic is the hair jig tied using my dog's fur.
    I have many photos of them stuck in the lips of fish of different species and sizes - many posted on sd.com.

In line with the post about lure-related combinations, here are composites or modifications of soft plastics that have a high potential for catching fish - the larger one for larger fish, the smaller ones for ALL fish:
    gFbyd2z.jpg

The above take into account unique combinations of various sizes, shapes and actions - none superior to the other. Rigging them on light jigs is the same for each as is their success in ponds, lakes and rivers, when worked slowly with rod twitches and pauses. Again, these are just a few examples of lures I can count on with confidence that work in the right place and time to coerce strikes.

Some hard and soft lures I've bought that need no modification I keep apart from the many that don't have what it takes. They look good but something about them doesn't cut it.

Lastly, I forgot to mention that a part of the combination must include angler input using the best hand/wrist action, reel speed and presentation that complements a particular lure design that makes it effective. If a lure is used incorrectly, it could be the best one ever and yet snubbed by fish. Each of the lures shown have different ways of using them that make them eye catchers and strike provokers due to each's unique action and size. First you have to get their attention and then hold it for the lure's attributes to push - its - buttons long enough to attack.

#9 spoonminnow, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019