Gave a shot at Cracking the CODE

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by otay michael, Jun 14, 2018.

1. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,656
    Barrett Lake, Wed. 6.13.2018

Boat: Given to me by Chuck L.
    Water 74-76 / air 96
    On lake 10 am to 7:30 pm

Reports were bad and getting worse lately (since the opener in early May actually).

Was blessed with a boat given to me by Chuck L. My buddy Mike W got sick and opted out with a text at 6 AM. So slept in an extra hour and headed out at 9am instead. Stopped at Walmart to get a split ring pliers, as I had to change a lot of hooks out on 10 rigs And had forgotten mine on my boat stored up in Encinitas! ;-0

Got to the lake at 10 took a photo of the docks loaded with 17 boats still at the docks, unused.

6.13.18docks_751.jpg

Docks from a distance, pretty empty. Three other cars not shown, they were down at docks.

While loading my boat two guys pulled in to leave. They said they drove in at 4 am, and started at 4:30. The first of three bass, and one bluegill, came at seven am or so, one of the two got skunked. They asked what I thought, and I said the lake is full of bass, but I just think they’re too keyed in on all the bait.

As I sat changing hooks on my lures (putting barbless on my larger baits so I'd not ruin more with crimping), another boat showed up with two more guys, they got three bass total. And yet one more guy, solo, showed up and left minutes later, he had three also. That's 1.5 more than average (per person) I told him.

I had high hopes to ‘break the code’, my goal was 10 on top water.

Started working the shore west from the docks, top water, WP and frogs, and Yozuri prop bait. Nada. Got one blowup on the frog towards the end of the arm. Then ran across a solo fisherman at the end there and he reported four bass. Told him he was the high of the day, and at that point it was around noon. He got two on TR worms, and 2 on sweet beavers in 10-15' off bank.

I worked the end and then back towards Pigs Point, running across tuber TommyP on SDfish. He was the ONLY tuber that day. He had four dink bass and many bluegill, and reported losing two big bass. I asked him how big big was and he said about 2 to 3 pounds.

I worked a point or two on the way to Pine, topwater, nada, then ran to the last cove on the left before the end, and worked my way into the back arm, nada. Same top baits. The back looked great, but did not get blow ups on the frog, weird. Threw the buzzbait too, that usually gets some action in the deeper (8') water in the middle.

6.13.18CheeseShot_237.jpg
    At 3 pm, made it back to the far end of Pine Creek Arm, looked great! Tons of floating cheese as we call it, all over the place. Frog heaven! But how would it fish? I killed ‘em last year when it looked like this with the frog!?!

After half an hour Nada on the frog. At this point I changed my goal to not getting skunked.

Worked my way around to the back right side, and put on a BPS speed shad, so I could cover more area, quicker, and got a 6" dink first cast, yeah! Was this the code? Maybe. It was 3:50 at the time, and the next one came at 4:06, a keeper about 12", yeah. At this point I had tons of dinks try to inhale it and I could’ve gone to a smaller fluke, and maybe should have. But didn’t mind not catching those 6” bass either. Got one big blow up and marked the spot. Before moving on went back and now trIed the frog, nada. Then the S.Shad again and got her this time, Great explosion through the cheese, one almost 3#, VERY cool.

6.13.18_3pounder_162.jpg

Worked my way out on the left side, then back across to the cove and the next too when Laurie showed up at 7:05 and said I had to go. She asked how I did, and I told her, 3 on top!

6.13.18sideLight_233.jpg

At 6:45 pm, the heat (96 today) subsided, nice and cool in the shadows. LAURIE met me just around the corner from this spot, and I had stopped to watch all the coyotes start howling on the hill in front of me. Special times. We both just sat in our boats in awe of the lakes quiet and beauty, the winds had died, in late afternoon light and enjoyed the, now, cool temperatures.

As we sat taking in the moment in our boats I reported the low numbers that had been reported to me from gents that left early. She reported TommyP, the tuber I’d met earlier, ended with 14 bass, had left at 6, and that I was now the only one left on the lake. That's not uncommon this time of year, with the heat and all.

Would have loved to fish another hour, I think I could have got some great top, but there they make you come in quite early, compared to other city lakes, oh well. T.U.L..

End results: Fished solo 9 hours. Ended with 3, 1.5 more than average!! All on the BPS 4" speed shad white w/ black back, in late afternoon, on the surface. Threw the kitchen sink top wise. Next time, Lord willing, I’ll figure out the code.

#1 otay michael, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 24
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,823
    Great write up Michael. Speed shad for the win!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. scheadhunter

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +492
    Nobel effort indeed!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. chucklai

chucklai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    great report Michael, that's a rough day,hopefully it'll pick up soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,656
    Thanks Chuck, I know it will. I was up for the challenge, as I know I could have killed 'em at Otay, as usual. It's also getting into the 'slower month' time, so folks might not see numbers again until the fall.

6. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,510
    Boat:
    Tube
    Your dedication to the surface lures makes me wanna try! I can huck jigs at gamefish in the salt all day and drag plastics for bass in the lakes and bays but for the life of me can not stick with topwater for green bass. Thanks for the report Mike!

7. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,785
    Great read OM.
    The first time I ever fished with OM he introduced me to top water frogs. I've been hooked since. It's definitely a love hate relationship but the rewards are awesome. I hope to hit Otay Wed Morning and i'll have my frog tied on first thing for sure.

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,402
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That is not uncommon on ANY lake ANY time of the year! The ultimate "last cast" guy! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,656
    I resemble that remark!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List