Gear opinions? And Lexa or Lews?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Gabemorales, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +601
    Name:
    Gabe
    1st, what are your guys opinions on gear? As in, cheaper vs the more expensive stuff. Went out fishing light tackle today off the rocks (Ugly stik 6-12 intercoastal & a Shimano Syncopate) got a grip of bites and hook ups but lost most of the fish, then switched over to my normal setup, Stradic and a teramar, and hooked up and landed just about every bite, including palmed sized smelts. I know everyone has their own opinion but I had the same rig tied up on both and one caught more fish. Tested it out this past week and my Teramar always came on top. Sure both catch, but in your experiences is one more successful than the other?

2. Anyone have experience with a Lews super duty 300? How they hold up on salt?
    Debating between this and a Lexa300 for tossing swimbaits and small irons for Calicos. Definitely want to stick to a lowpro.

2. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,250
    Was missing bites when I used an uglystik many years ago. Liked that rod for crankbait and live bait. Not so much for plastics.

The lexa hd 300 is on sale for a good price. HD is better than the wn version imo.
    Clearance

3. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +601
    Name:
    Gabe
    appreciate an answer! I have the WN in a 400 and I love it. Just too big to for shorepounding lol. I’ll probably pull the trigger on black Friday if they’re any cheaper!

4. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +601
    Name:
    Gabe
    Also agree, love the ugly stik but idk there’s something about them that causes me to miss setting the hook and a ton of bites. Leaning towards user error and not being used to them lol

5. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,300
    Heard good things about the Lews SD300 but you might as well toss the Komodo on this list for discussion too

6. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +601
    Name:
    Gabe
    Heard the Komodo was a little bulkier. The lexa fits nicely in my hand, not so sure about the Lews. But at the price points, the lexa and Lews were almost hand in hand. At least where I found them

7. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,300
    Best way is to find them local and try them out.
    LEXA400 fits nicely in my palm, but I have been eyeing up the SD300 7.2

8. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +601
    Name:
    Gabe
    Agree. Wouldn’t hesitate to get another lexa myself. Casts a mile, decent drag, decent amount of line to hold, and overall well built.
    Heard the Lews was a tank of a reel, reason that sold me. Also, comes in a widespool. Can’t complain about that!

9. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,300
    My Lexa is paired with an Okuma Scti inshore - Love it.

Good all around setup for fishing the Jetty, piers, calicos, or 20lb offshore.

Could also look at an Okuma PCH Custom to pair the SD300 or Lexa

10. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +601
    Name:
    Gabe
    Heard great things about the pch custom, shadowstalker, and SCTI pairings. Okuma coming in hot with some great gear at great prices lol

11. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,250
    I've seen pch rods go on sale in some stores for around $100. That is a steal. I'm not a fan of the shadowstalker, for a bit more you can pick up a daiwa proteus inshore at squidco.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Holloway316

Holloway316 Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I have a tranx 400 on a phenix m1. I also have a lexa 400 on a daiwa sbdx. Both are awesome set ups but I can muscle in bigger fish with the tranx a lot easier.