Gear to Bring on 3/4 Day Trip

Discussion in 'Sport boats' started by kyle12345, Aug 3, 2017.

1. bensuss105

bensuss105 Active Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Name:
    bensuss
    Also DONT WASTE UR MONEY on the stupid 7$ owner ringed hooks. instead of paying 2$ for a hook buy the gold mustads that come in 50 packs for the same price. Owner ringed= waste of money

2. kyle12345

kyle12345 Active Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Thank you very much, good to know about the 20 lb, this is a group trip with probably a bunch of new folks to fishing, so I am guessing there will be snags due to inexperience.

3. kyle12345

kyle12345 Active Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Thanks, that's what I got actually, thanks to a knowledgeable store clerk.

4. kyle12345

kyle12345 Active Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Ship is the Sea Watch, sorry I had them mixed up.

5. Ultralight

Ultralight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I've taken my wife on a number of 3/4 day trips but never for Tuna. Appreciate this thread.

Q: Wouldn't fine wire hooks such as size 1, 1/0 or 2/0 straighten with yellowtail? When I hear finewire, I think of hooks like Owner Mosquito hooks. Granted I've never straightened a hook but then I've never tangled with a 25 lbs yellowtail either.

Q2: Can I use spinning reels with 30 lbs braid and 25 lbs fluor and call it a day for yellowtail? I don't have conventional or baitcasting rigs. My reels are not expensive affairs by Cabelas or Basspro but are rated for saltwater. My rods are 15-40 lbs.

Good enough or should I not even bother?

Thanks in advance for any help to this newbie to yellowtail....:)

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,222
    Boat:
    3 too many
    25 lb yellows on no name spinning gear? Yikes.. Minimum spinning reel for tuna/yt is a penn battle IMO.. 40 to 50 lb braid to a fluoro of your choice. Any quality rod rated at 40lb and higher will do fine.. What is the exact reel you have?

7. Ultralight

Ultralight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Basspro Tightline 6000 and Cabelas Salt Striker SB50. Reading reviews on both, some seem to land dozens of fish in the 20-30 lbs range. I don't expect them to last like the Battle but the Cabelas has lifetime warranty....

Fluoro of your choice - is 25 lbs OK? I called one of the landings and they quoted me 25 lbs fluoro. But then I read elsewhere 40-50 lbs. So there doesn't seem to be consistency...

THANKS again for your help.

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,222
    Boat:
    3 too many
    If it were me, I would bring options. . 15 to 40 lb fluoro (or ande ghost if you prefer), even 50 to 60 if you're fishing 80 or 100 spectra . Practice your knots at home. Perfect the royal polaris or alberto knot while you are watching tv .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Carterantebi

Carterantebi Captain of the Cays
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,165
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    I was fishing 20lb fluoro leader on the Liberty last week and had zero issues. Also, despite what someone said earlier, IMO the owner ringed hooks can be a matter of catching or not catching and I have found it definitely gives you the advantage over the people using the gold mustad hooks without rings. This is especially true when it's a battle to find a lively bait that you want to stick out among the other 50 sardines in the water. The reasoning for this is that the ring allows your sardine to swim freely and it gets a much better range of motion in comparison to a sardine stunned in place that can only swim in one direction without a lot of movement.

One thing I've learned is to all go as small as you possibly can hook wise, especially if targeting tuna. Also, don't be afraid to use a smaller bait if the big guys aren't getting touched.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. kyle12345

kyle12345 Active Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I own a Penn Battle, thus far solid reel.

11. retired

retired Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Going back to find the post is a memory test so I just take a picture of the article or note and keep it in my cell phone for further reference.I hope this helps Love n peace

12. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,538
    You asked about fly lining, and it doesn't appear anyone mentioned this, but picking the right sardine/anchovy, and how you handle it, is also important. When you go to the bait tank make sure to avoid any fish that have red on them. Active bait fish is the key to catching fish, and you don't want one that is beat up. When you do find a fish that looks healthy and active don't just grab it with a death hold and hook it on. If you handle it too roughly it wont swim as well when you toss it over the side. Instead, if you can, try to gently cup the the fish with your hand, and apply as little pressure as possible to it so you don't bruise it.

Lastly, I know you spend more time shore fishing than boat fishing. Don't toss your bait over the side when it is dead. Instead, bring a one gallon zip lock bag with you, and every time you reel back in a dead bait fish put it into your ziplock. Those dead sardines make great cut bait for shore fishing, both fresh and saltwater. You helped pay for those bait fish so you might as well take some home with you.

#32 Jenx, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,609
    That's a great tip thanks I'm hoping to get out on a 3/4 soon great idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. kyle12345

kyle12345 Active Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Good idea! Thanks.

15. kyle12345

kyle12345 Active Member

Ratings:
    +152

Never thought of this, really good idea. I would guess the captains/deck hands would not care since it's not like they are going to reuse them. Thanks!