Gee I'll miss him....

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by twnoel111, Aug 6, 2019.

1. twnoel111

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +526
    Name:
    Tom
    Took my little boat out in O'side harbor and ran into a bunch of spotties and dink halis all on hook up baits. I hooked and brought to the boat my largest halibut of the year. My net was stowed in hatch and my friend was busy unveiling it but I had lost patience waiting. The hali I thought was played out and was quietly laying on surface of water. I brought my fish grabbers to his open jaw and clamped his jaw securely. I solidly raised him out of water admiring how large he was but he wasn't done. He took my grabber and my lure from my hand with authority. He landed back on top of the water and calmly sat there with his eyes locked on me and I think smiling. At this moment my friend had got net and was aiming towards this beast and with perfect aim hit my lure breaking the line. The big halibut just sat there looking at us like we were a couple of goofballs and shook the fish grabber from his jaw never to ne seen again. The fish most likely will but my friend wont. 67609775_10212921831994451_591244098455732224_o.jpg 67737598_10212921831514439_1888392803885514752_o.jpg

• Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • List
  2. John The Bass

John The Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Name:
    John Evans
    R.I.P

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,805
    Tragic......

One time I was fishing with my friend off of La Jolla in her boat. She hooked into a BEAST of a halibut (the size of a large coffee table). She calmly got it to the boat and told me to get the gaff. Since the halibut was sitting so still, I aimed for the head. But the halibut's head was so big that the gaff only skidded across the jaw and hooked under the cheek. The halibut went APE SH*T at this point and pinned my friend to the rail. And in a FLASH her line was busted off. I estimate it weighed 50-60 pounds. It was a real bruiser- a once in a lifetime California Halibut. And I lost it for her at the boat. I felt absolutely horrible. It's one thing to lose a legal halibut. It's another to lose a once in a lifetime barn door of a halibut.

So don't bet your buddy up too bad. Trust me when I tell you he feels like CRAP!

4. rockzilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +559
    Gaff em in the stomach. They'll lay there like a door mat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,805
    Well my friend..... That's not always true. That's what my friend told me after I lost her huge halibut. Well, fast forward 7 or 8 years, and I was fishing in the bay with Geofish and Fishninja, and I happened to hook into a legal halibut (24") from my kayak. I had a small gaff, and I intentionally gaffed it in the belly because I heard they stiffened up when you gaff them this way. I sunk that thing right into the belly of that halibut. I even had guts coming out of the gaff holes. That halibut went BALLISTIC when I gaffed it.

I'm not saying it doesn't work. I'm saying it doesn't "always" work.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. John The Bass

John The Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Name:
    John Evans
    Gaff it with a 12 gauge shotgun. Always works.

7. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Garibaldi taste like chikin
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,216
    The 10 gauge kills it faster