Getting a Float Tube set-up, need advice

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by goodspeed94, Jan 1, 2009.

1. goodspeed94

goodspeed94 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I am looking into getting a Float tube set-up to hit the SD county lakes. Can someone help me out with what gear I will need to be ready to go, any rules that go along with float-tubing, advice on the topic in general? Thanks a lot.

Jon

2. rpnick

rpnick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Life jacket and whistle required. Don't need to wear the PFD, but must be there. And enough clothes to keep warm! Might want to check the archives, more info than you'll need/want. Have fun...

3. m1k3midg3

m1k3midg3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    well u need waders. also get one in u v or A shaped preferably one of the fish cat models. you also have to stay 150 or less from the shore

4. rpnick

rpnick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought he already had a tube, but now I re-read, maybe not! If you need a tube goodspeed, shoot me a pm, I'll hook you up. Not with an outcast though, those are big (and expensive), but nice for sure

5. BfishK

BfishK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Waders-
    Get breathable waders.
    Online is usually cheaper got mine for around $ 70-80.
    Water is cold so wear sweatpants i rotate between heavier warmer pair and a lighter pair and in the summer i just wear boxers.
    Socks. Always wear em. keeps your feet worm. waders won't stink over time.
    Tube-
    Get a U shaped boat. I have a caddis. . i think it's a nevada gold picked it up for around $110 i think.
    Boots/fins
    My boots are a old pair of shoes. make sure they are a little bigger... you can also buy booties.... i highly recommend shoes or bootys so you don't step on anything while walking to the water.
    My fins are a old pair of caddis fins... step into em and tie over my shoes....
    i've heard scuba fins work well but old shoes don't work with em.
    Best of luck if you got cash i would get a fishcat but otherwise a cheaper tube will do. some brands have lifetime warrantys so look into that.
    There are also many informative websites on tubing if you google it.

6. RiverRat

RiverRat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do you guys rig up some verticle rod holders? I have seen some ways, but they all ended up looking cheap and a little spooky to put rods in.

7. JayTron

JayTron Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Best Rod Holders are made by caddis. check em out on their website caddissports.com or buy them at thefloattubestore.com A little pricey $40 after shipping but well worth it and looks sharp.

As for a tube set-up, I recommend Caddis U boats or the Navigator series. I've had 2 now and love em both(currently rocking to Nav pro). Wadders, get em at sportsmart the Hodgmen Wadders only $40 usually $70, rock the bball shorts and some socks under. As for fins try some Dive fins, might even find a good deal on some used at a play-it-again. Also avoid those metal stringers, they might puncture a hole in your tube over time(go for a basket stringer, keeps fish fresher). Yup thats about it, Good Luck tubbin'

8. goodspeed94

goodspeed94 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot everyone for all the helpful advice. I don't have any of the equipment yet but the tips are very helpful.

Another question:
    Mainly because I have gift cards from Christmas to Amazon, I was looking at this tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessori ... 425&sr=1-2

I think it has most of what people are saying I would need. Anyone have any experience with this tube/type of tube/brand? Thanks a lot.

Jon

9. m1k3midg3

m1k3midg3 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
  10. rpnick

rpnick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, can't say that I do, but it's pretty pricey. There was a guy here locally that was selling Outcast's for about $169 in the classified's and they're pretty much top-o-the-line. Maybe search for that ad in the archives? Oops, sorry, missed the gift certificate part.

11. rpnick

rpnick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    pm'd ya Jon, might help you stay on budget!